Old 09-25-2010, 09:36 PM
BillWright

Default hard connecting a usb drive

On 09/25/2010 04:31 PM, Kai Presler-Marshall wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what you need/want, but have
you tried Dropbox?* You can install it on multiple computers, and
then it will keep up to 2GB of files synced between them and also
on their servers.* If you want, I'll send you a referral link, and
you can get an extra 250MB

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Tim
Hanson <tjhanson@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I own a couple of laptops running 10.04. *Inevitably, one of
them has become

something of a de facto "desktop," which mostly stays at home
connected to a

larger screen as well as a better keyboard and mouse, while
the other I use in

the traditional role as a travelling companion.

I'm getting tired of trying to keep them synchronized all the
time. *What I'd

like to try is to put my home directory on a usb drive.

The downside is that I would always have to have that drive
plugged in on boot

to either laptop. *The upside is that I would always be
assured I am working

with an up-to-date home directory, regardless of the computer
I am using, at

all times. *I could also avoid constantly waiting for rsync to
work.

I tried to replace /home/foo with a symlink to /foo on my usb
drive, which

didn't work. *It looks to me as if certain items necessary to

desktop aren't present when GNOME needs them (probably before
the auto mount

utility mounts the drive).

My next attempt will be to put the usb drive directly into
/etc/fstab. *I have

read the blkid man page to find out the drive's UUID. *Can
anyone find any

pitfalls to this approach? *Will the automount utility (it
used to be HAL, but

now it might be something else) try to mount it again?

I use DROPBOX for my PC setup, works great! To the best of my
knowledge dropbox does not with Linux

Old 09-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Kai Presler-Marshall

It does
There's a recently-released Linux version, I run it on Ubuntu 10.10 x64 on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 to sync with my custom-built desktop running Kubuntu 10.04 x64

Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM
BillWright

Correction, DROPBOX does work with Ubuntu

There's a recently-released Linux version, I run it on Ubuntu
10.10 x64 on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 to sync with my custom-built
desktop running Kubuntu 10.04 x64

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM,
BillWright <pegasus@sc.rr.com>

On 09/25/2010 04:31 PM, Kai

[...]