Old 09-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Edgars Šmits

Default Virtualbox USB support?

I'm trying to get an unsupported scanner to work (CanoScan LiDE 90),
it shows up correctly in lsusb. I've installed Virtualbox and XP + XP
drivers from Canon, but can't seem to figure out what next. Googled
and all I get are old instructions from 2008 at best. I'm running
Lucid 64 and the most recent Virtualbox. Any ideas where to get
instructions?

Many thanks

ED

Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
> I'm trying to get an unsupported scanner to work (CanoScan LiDE 90),
> it shows up correctly in lsusb. I've installed Virtualbox and XP + XP
> drivers from Canon, but can't seem to figure out what next. Googled
> and all I get are old instructions from 2008 at best. I'm running
> Lucid 64 and the most recent Virtualbox. Any ideas where to get
> instructions?

Which Virtualbox version is it? You need the PUEL version from
virtualbox.org if you want USB support. The GPL version from the Ubuntu
repositories is not sufficient.

Nils

Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Edgars Šmits

Thanks for answering! Of course I installed the one from the Ubuntu
rep's, not the one from virtualbox.org. As I was trying to find what
to do last night I couldn't connect to virtualbox.org, same problem
this morning - timed out. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I can
connect later today, if not I just may re-install vmware....

Thanks again!

ED

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
>> I'm trying to get an unsupported scanner to work (CanoScan LiDE 90),
>> it shows up correctly in lsusb. I've installed Virtualbox and XP + XP
>> drivers from Canon, but can't seem to figure out what next. Googled
>> and all I get are old instructions from 2008 at best. I'm running
>> Lucid 64 and the most recent Virtualbox. Any ideas where to get
>> instructions?
>
> Which Virtualbox version is it? You need the PUEL version from
> virtualbox.org if you want USB support. The GPL version from the Ubuntu
> repositories is not sufficient.
>

> Nils

R.U. Sirius: I used to take a lot of acid. Now I'm older, I take a lot
of antacid.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Nils Kassube

Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
> Thanks for answering! Of course I installed the one from the Ubuntu
> rep's, not the one from virtualbox.org. As I was trying to find what
> to do last night I couldn't connect to virtualbox.org, same problem
> this morning - timed out. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I can
> connect later today, if not I just may re-install vmware....

Same here - www.virtualbox.org times out. But you could add this line

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ lucid non-free

to your "/etc/apt/sources.list". Then add the Oracle key with this command:

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

and finally install the PUEL version:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.2

Nils

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Christopher Chan

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
>> Thanks for answering! Of course I installed the one from the Ubuntu
>> rep's, not the one from virtualbox.org. As I was trying to find what
>> to do last night I couldn't connect to virtualbox.org, same problem
>> this morning - timed out. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I can
>> connect later today, if not I just may re-install vmware....
>
> Same here - www.virtualbox.org times out. But you could add this line

Is the writing on the wall for Virtualbox PUEL too? Oracle must be
aiming left right and centre on all of Sun Microsystem's projects. When
are they going to kill Java too so that Mono can become the must-have thing?

Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
>>> Thanks for answering! Of course I installed the one from the Ubuntu
>>> rep's, not the one from virtualbox.org. As I was trying to find what
>>> to do last night I couldn't connect to virtualbox.org, same problem
>>> this morning - timed out. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I can
>>> connect later today, if not I just may re-install vmware....
>>
>> Same here - www.virtualbox.org times out. But you could add this line
>>

> Is the writing on the wall for Virtualbox PUEL too? Oracle must be
> aiming left right and centre on all of Sun Microsystem's projects. When
> are they going to kill Java too so that Mono can become the must-have thing?

You should try:

http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/vboxdownload.html#linux

or still:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.2.8/