Old 09-25-2010, 07:21 PM
"macbeth"

Default login problem with Ubuntu 10.4

Afternoon folks,

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.4 the other night and installed it on a machine that
had 8.04 on it.

Everything looked just fine. Rebooted, got to the login screen, logged in
and gnome came up. After about a second, the screen flashed black and went
back to the login screen.

Try as I might, I can't get in. I went into safe Gnome just fine, but I
have no idea what to look for. Or, even what to google for.

Any thoughts, pointers, sites, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Michael

Old 09-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Scott Berry

Boy it sounds like you may have a part missing. I am uncertain what it
would be but there is someone out there that should know.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Rashkae

macbeth wrote:
> Afternoon folks,
>
> I downloaded Ubuntu 10.4 the other night and installed it on a machine that
> had 8.04 on it.
>
> Everything looked just fine. Rebooted, got to the login screen, logged in
> and gnome came up. After about a second, the screen flashed black and went
> back to the login screen.
>
> Try as I might, I can't get in. I went into safe Gnome just fine, but I
> have no idea what to look for. Or, even what to google for.
>
> Any thoughts, pointers, sites, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Michael

Login the text console (or use the safe Gnome).

For text console, at the login prompt, prest Ctl-Alt-F1 on your
keyboard. Once logged in, rename your home folder. Example

sudo mv /home/username /home/username.bak (substitute username for your
login username)

sudo mkdir /home/username
sudo chown username /home/username

Press Ctl-Alt-F7 (or maybe F8) to return to the GDM login prompt. You
should now be able to log in to a fresh Gnome desktop. You will have
to copy the files you want to keep from your old username.bak into your
new home folder.

This method is a bit extreme, since it will wipe out all your
preferences and create lots of work to restore some important folders.
(you might, for example want to restore the .mozilla, .evolution and
.gconf/apps/evolution folders from the .bak folder to restore your
Firefox data and Evolution e-mail/schedule.

As an alternative, when you log in to safe gnome, you can start renaming
hidden files/folders (they start with a .) by adding a .bak extension
until you find the one that is causing gnome to crash. Then, at least,
if you want to get specific, you will know which program / config file
is causing the problem.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 PM
NoOp

On 09/25/2010 12:21 PM, macbeth wrote:
> Afternoon folks,
>
> I downloaded Ubuntu 10.4 the other night and installed it on a machine that
> had 8.04 on it.
>
> Everything looked just fine. Rebooted, got to the login screen, logged in
> and gnome came up. After about a second, the screen flashed black and went
> back to the login screen.
>
> Try as I might, I can't get in. I went into safe Gnome just fine, but I
> have no idea what to look for. Or, even what to google for.

When you say "and installed it" what exactly do you mean? Did you do an
upgrade from 8.04, or did you do an fresh install over 8.04? Please
provide details about what/how you "installed it" and details on the
machine hardware, particularly the video card.

Boot to recovery mode & run the dpkg option. Then resume & while in the
console mode have a look at ~/.xsession-errors and:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/dmesg
/var/crash
/var/log/dist-upgrade/
to see if you can spot anything obvious.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
"macbeth"

> From: NoOp
> On 09/25/2010 12:21 PM, macbeth wrote:
> >
> > Try as I might, I can't get in. I went into safe Gnome just fine, but I
> > have no idea what to look for. Or, even what to google for.
>
> When you say "and installed it" what exactly do you mean? Did you do an
> upgrade from 8.04, or did you do an fresh install over 8.04? Please
> provide details about what/how you "installed it" and details on the
> machine hardware, particularly the video card.
>
> Boot to recovery mode & run the dpkg option. Then resume & while in the
> console mode have a look at ~/.xsession-errors and:
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> /var/log/dmesg
> /var/crash
> /var/log/dist-upgrade/
> to see if you can spot anything obvious.

First, sorry for the long delay, but I have had a million other fires to
attend to. sheesh!

Rashkae and Scott, thanks for your responses. No luck there.

NoOp,

I had an unused partition ( 70GB ) on the disk so I told the install process
to install there using ext3. Once complete, I could still get to 8.04 off
of the grub menu without issues. If I select 10.04, it gets to the familiar
login screen and it actually brings up Gnome, then the screen goes black and
takes me back to the login screen.

For reasons unknown, dpkg did not work, which I tried shortly after I
realized I had a problem. I figured I did something wrong with the choices
I made when setting up the partitions during installation. Since this was a
spare machine, I did not care about what was on the disk, so I tried doing a
fresh install of 10.04, this time letting the install process use the entire
disk and have its way with it. And no, I did not look through the logs.
Stupid yes, I got lazy and wasted a learning opportunity. The fresh install
of 10.04 went smoothly and quickly. But, the login issue persisted.

I grabbed the 8.04 CD and installed it, using the entire disk. And it works
just fine.

Now, I would like to go back and try 10.04 again and I have a little time.
Before I start, any thoughts on what to look for, apart from the logs? And
yes, I will check the logs!

The machine itself, is an old AMD Athlon XP 2400+ based machine, 1GB memory
with integrated video.

Michael

Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM
NoOp

On 10/06/2010 06:52 AM, macbeth wrote:
> I grabbed the 8.04 CD and installed it, using the entire disk. And it works
> just fine.
>
> Now, I would like to go back and try 10.04 again and I have a little time.
> Before I start, any thoughts on what to look for, apart from the logs? And
> yes, I will check the logs!
>
> The machine itself, is an old AMD Athlon XP 2400+ based machine, 1GB memory
> with integrated video.

My _guess_ is that it's a video/graphics issue. Can you please provide
the machine details? You can do this from 8.04 or from a liveCD:

$ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
$ gedit myhardware.txt

Now copy the contents of myhardware.txt and past into:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/

and then post the url to the past. Please don't past the contents here -
thanks.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
"macbeth"

> From: NoOp

> My _guess_ is that it's a video/graphics issue. Can you please provide
> the machine details? You can do this from 8.04 or from a liveCD:
>
> $ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
> $ gedit myhardware.txt

NoOp,

Thanks for taking the time.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/507411/

Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 PM
NoOp

On 10/06/2010 10:40 AM, macbeth wrote:

>> From: NoOp
>
>> My _guess_ is that it's a video/graphics issue. Can you please provide
>> the machine details? You can do this from 8.04 or from a liveCD:
>>
>> $ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
>> $ gedit myhardware.txt
>
> NoOp,
>
> Thanks for taking the time.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/507411/

*-display UNCLAIMED
product: KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.

That helps. Here we go...
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=KM400%2FKN400%2FP4M800+[S3+UniChrome]>

Possible:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/589520>
[[KM400]Haven't been able to execute normal gnome login since 10.04
installation; screen blanks then returns to login screen]

<quote>
After a fresh 10.04 installation which seemed to go perfectly, I now
can't execute a normal gnome login, but can using safe mode gnome and
xterm. When attempting a normal login there is a short wait after the
login screen disappears, then the screen goes blank for a few seconds
before returning to the login screen.
</quote>

Perhaps try the workaround in comment #3:
<quote>
There was no existing xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, so I
created one with the following content;

Section
"ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX"
"off"
EndSection

</quote>

You can do that from the recovery mode; boot to recovery, continue to
login, and from the console:

$ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and then add the above, ctrl-x to exit & save.

If that's not it, have a look through some of the other bugs for that
driver:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome>
and see if you can spot one that better matches your situation.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM
"macbeth"

> From: NoOp

> On 10/06/2010 10:40 AM, macbeth wrote:
> >

> >> From: NoOp
> >
> >> My _guess_ is that it's a video/graphics issue. Can you please provide
> >> the machine details? You can do this from 8.04 or from a liveCD:
> >>
> >> $ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
> >> $ gedit myhardware.txt
> >
> > NoOp,
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time.
> >
> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/507411/
>
> *-display UNCLAIMED
> product: KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome]
> vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>

> Possible:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-open
> chrome/+bug/589520>
> [[KM400]Haven't been able to execute normal gnome login since 10.04
> installation; screen blanks then returns to login screen]
>
> <quote>
> After a fresh 10.04 installation which seemed to go perfectly, I now
> can't execute a normal gnome login, but can using safe mode gnome and
> xterm. When attempting a normal login there is a short wait after the
> login screen disappears, then the screen goes blank for a few seconds
> before returning to the login screen.
> </quote>
>
> Perhaps try the workaround in comment #3:
> <quote>
> There was no existing xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, so I
> created one with the following content;
>
> Section
> "ServerFlags"
> Option "AIGLX"
> "off"
> EndSection
>
> </quote>
>
> You can do that from the recovery mode; boot to recovery, continue to
> login, and from the console:
>
> $ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> and then add the above, ctrl-x to exit & save.

NoOp,

SPOT FREAKIN' ON!

Many, many, many thanks!

Now, I need to play with that launchpad a bit. It seems all so obvious and
straight forward. Especially when someone does everything but comes over
and types it in for you.

BTW, this is still broken in the 10.10 Beta. This solution fixes that and
heopfully they add it in before they go 'live'.

Again, thanks,
Michael

Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
NoOp

On 10/06/2010 12:07 PM, macbeth wrote:

>> From: NoOp
>> Perhaps try the workaround in comment #3:
>> <quote>
>> There was no existing xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, so I
>> created one with the following content;
>>
>> Section
>> "ServerFlags"
>> Option "AIGLX"
>> "off"
>> EndSection
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> You can do that from the recovery mode; boot to recovery, continue to
>> login, and from the console:
>>
>> $ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> and then add the above, ctrl-x to exit & save.
>
> NoOp,
>
> SPOT FREAKIN' ON!
>
> Many, many, many thanks!
>
> Now, I need to play with that launchpad a bit. It seems all so obvious and
> straight forward. Especially when someone does everything but comes over
> and types it in for you.
>
> BTW, this is still broken in the 10.10 Beta. This solution fixes that and
> heopfully they add it in before they go 'live'.
>
> Again, thanks,
> Michael

You are very welcome :-) You might want to subscribe to that bug report
& note that this worked for you on lucid and maverick.