FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Tom H
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> I have a big problem with lucid.
> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
> *(rev 03). On the site >
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
> worse. I can find the module:
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
> the magic words to solve this problem for me.

Reading the instructions that you posted, I suspect that installing
b43-fwcutter isn't enough and that you still have to go through these
instructions:

<begin>
If you are using the b43legacy driver, follow these instructions.

Install b43-fwcutter, then use version 3.130.20.0 of Broadcom's
proprietary driver.
Download and extract the firmware from this driver:

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR"
wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
</end>

where

1. "/lib/firmware//2.6.32-22-generic/" is most probably your
"FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" rather than "/lib/firmware".

2. "sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter" should probably be "sudo
b43-fwcutter" or possibly "sudo /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter".

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>> (rev 03). On the site >
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>> worse. I can find the module:
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>
> Reading the instructions that you posted, I suspect that installing
> b43-fwcutter isn't enough and that you still have to go through these
> instructions:
>
> <begin>
> If you are using the b43legacy driver, follow these instructions.
>
> Install b43-fwcutter, then use version 3.130.20.0 of Broadcom's
> proprietary driver.
> Download and extract the firmware from this driver:
>
> export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
> wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
> sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR"
> wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
> </end>
>
> where
>
> 1. "/lib/firmware//2.6.32-22-generic/" is most probably your
> "FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" rather than "/lib/firmware".
>
> 2. "sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter" should probably be "sudo
> b43-fwcutter" or possibly "sudo /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter".
>
Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I had this done already and, as I have a directory
/lib/firmware it placed it there.
However, the instructions don't say what to do next.
I have a directory with 26 files, all with the extension .fw but I have
no idea how to actually install them as I assume that only after
installing them I get an entry in the device table e.g. wlan0. As long
as I don't get this I don't have a device to use with iwconfig.
I hope you can give me some more suggestions how to proceed.
Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Tom H
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>>> *(rev 03). On the site >
>>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>>> worse. I can find the module:
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>>
>> Reading the instructions that you posted, I suspect that installing
>> b43-fwcutter isn't enough and that you still have to go through these
>> instructions:
>>
>> <begin>
>> If you are using the b43legacy driver, follow these instructions.
>>
>> Install b43-fwcutter, then use version 3.130.20.0 of Broadcom's
>> proprietary driver.
>> Download and extract the firmware from this driver:
>>
>> export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
>> wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
>> sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR"
>> wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
>> </end>
>>
>> where
>>
>> 1. "/lib/firmware//2.6.32-22-generic/" is most probably your
>> "FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" rather than "/lib/firmware".
>>
>> 2. "sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter" should probably be "sudo
>> b43-fwcutter" or possibly "sudo /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter".
>>
> Tom,
> Thanks for the reply. I had this done already and, as I have a directory
> /lib/firmware it placed it there.
> However, the instructions don't say what to do next.
> I have a directory with 26 files, all with the extension .fw but I have
> no idea how to actually install them as I assume that only after
> installing them I get an entry in the device table e.g. wlan0. As long
> as I don't get this I don't have a device to use with iwconfig.

Maybe you're just missing a "modprobe b43legacy". If yes, for
persistence, you'll have to add b43legacy to "/etc/modules".

ANyone else using b43/b43legacy? Is it supposed to be this long-winded
a process?!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Li Li
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 19:36 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> Maybe you're just missing a "modprobe b43legacy". If yes, for
> persistence, you'll have to add b43legacy to "/etc/modules".
>
> ANyone else using b43/b43legacy? Is it supposed to be this long-winded
> a process?!
>
This worked automatically for a family member with an old laptop (Acer
Aspire 5000, purchased in the summer of 2005) with both Mint (an Ubuntu
respin with some added tools and no sickening purples or browns) and
with #! Statler.

I recall that for Mint, at least, he had to download the "proprietary
driver," which was probably the fw-cutter thing. It was all so easy and
automatic that I didn't really pay attention to it. Not sure what he
did with #!, but it couldn't have been much since there was no cursing
involved.

He's off traveling with the laptop right now and emailing using the
b43xx chip. Maybe the OP should try one of the above as a liveCD.


--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions
Linux 2.6.32-21-generic Linux Mint 9 Isadora, Gnome 2.30.2



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Frans Ketelaars
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 06:24:47 -0700, Li Li wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 19:36 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>
>> Maybe you're just missing a "modprobe b43legacy". If yes, for
>> persistence, you'll have to add b43legacy to "/etc/modules".
>>
>> ANyone else using b43/b43legacy? Is it supposed to be this long-winded
>> a process?!
>>
> This worked automatically for a family member with an old laptop (Acer
> Aspire 5000, purchased in the summer of 2005) with both Mint (an Ubuntu
> respin with some added tools and no sickening purples or browns) and
> with #! Statler.
>
> I recall that for Mint, at least, he had to download the "proprietary
> driver," which was probably the fw-cutter thing. It was all so easy and
> automatic that I didn't really pay attention to it. Not sure what he
> did with #!, but it couldn't have been much since there was no cursing
> involved.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#device_firmware_installation
(on the page the OP posted a link to) says:

"The Broadcom wireless chip needs software, called "firmware", that runs
on the wireless chip itself during operation. This firmware is
copyrighted by Broadcom and must be extracted from Broadcom's proprietary
drivers. To get such firmware on your system, you must download the
driver from a legal distribution point, as noted below. Then you must
extract the firmware from that Broadcom driver by using b43-fwcutter (or
bcm43xx-fwcutter) and install it in the special directory for firmware -
usually /lib/firmware. Please note that the firmware from the binary
drivers is copyrighted by Broadcom Corporation and must not be
redistributed."

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Ubuntu.2BAC8-Debian then
says:

"Ubuntu/Debian

In recent versions of Ubuntu and Debian, installing the b43-fwcutter
package will handle everything for you:

1 sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

You will be asked to automatically fetch and install the firmware into
the right location."

> He's off traveling with the laptop right now and emailing using the
> b43xx chip. Maybe the OP should try one of the above as a liveCD.

I hope this explains something more about the process of installing
the firmware. Now if Broadcom licensed the firmware in such a way that
it could be distributed legally by Linux distro's it wouldn't be
necessary to extract the firmware from the downloaded Windows driver.

The OP might mention this to Broadcom

-Frans


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 PM
NoOp
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

On 09/25/2010 08:07 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I have a big problem with lucid.
> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
> (rev 03). On the site >
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
> worse. I can find the module:
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
> Joep
>

Probably obvious, but have you tried 'System|Administration|Hardware
Drivers'?

$ apt-cache search broadcom
bcmwl-kernel-source - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
bcmwl-modaliases - Modaliases for the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver
bcm5700-source - module source for Broadcom's bcm5700 ethernet driver
broadcom-sta-common - Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
broadcom-sta-source - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Tom H
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 08:07 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>> * (rev 03). On the site >
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>> worse. I can find the module:
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>
> Probably obvious, but have you tried 'System|Administration|Hardware
> Drivers'?
>
> $ apt-cache search broadcom
> bcmwl-kernel-source - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
> b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
> bcmwl-modaliases - Modaliases for the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver
> bcm5700-source - module source for Broadcom's bcm5700 ethernet driver
> broadcom-sta-common - Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
> broadcom-sta-source - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter

All the cli stuff that he has done must have done the job of
'System|Administration|Hardware Drivers' but who knows...

To the OP: please check your logs to see whether the firmware is
loading at boot.

If it is and you haven't added b43legacy to "/etc/modules" and it's
not loaded, load it with "modprobe b43legacy" and check whether your
wireless nic is available.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 06:24:47 -0700, Li Li wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 19:36 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe you're just missing a "modprobe b43legacy". If yes, for
>>> persistence, you'll have to add b43legacy to "/etc/modules".
>>>
>>> ANyone else using b43/b43legacy? Is it supposed to be this long-winded
>>> a process?!
>>>
>> This worked automatically for a family member with an old laptop (Acer
>> Aspire 5000, purchased in the summer of 2005) with both Mint (an Ubuntu
>> respin with some added tools and no sickening purples or browns) and
>> with #! Statler.
>>
>> I recall that for Mint, at least, he had to download the "proprietary
>> driver," which was probably the fw-cutter thing. It was all so easy and
>> automatic that I didn't really pay attention to it. Not sure what he
>> did with #!, but it couldn't have been much since there was no cursing
>> involved.
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#device_firmware_installation
> (on the page the OP posted a link to) says:
>
> "The Broadcom wireless chip needs software, called "firmware", that runs
> on the wireless chip itself during operation. This firmware is
> copyrighted by Broadcom and must be extracted from Broadcom's proprietary
> drivers. To get such firmware on your system, you must download the
> driver from a legal distribution point, as noted below. Then you must
> extract the firmware from that Broadcom driver by using b43-fwcutter (or
> bcm43xx-fwcutter) and install it in the special directory for firmware -
> usually /lib/firmware. Please note that the firmware from the binary
> drivers is copyrighted by Broadcom Corporation and must not be
> redistributed."
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Ubuntu.2BAC8-Debian then
> says:
>
> "Ubuntu/Debian
>
> In recent versions of Ubuntu and Debian, installing the b43-fwcutter
> package will handle everything for you:
>
> 1 sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
>
> You will be asked to automatically fetch and install the firmware into
> the right location."
>
>> He's off traveling with the laptop right now and emailing using the
>> b43xx chip. Maybe the OP should try one of the above as a liveCD.
>
> I hope this explains something more about the process of installing
> the firmware. Now if Broadcom licensed the firmware in such a way that
> it could be distributed legally by Linux distro's it wouldn't be
> necessary to extract the firmware from the downloaded Windows driver.
>
> The OP might mention this to Broadcom
>
> -Frans
>
>
Frans and all the others,
Thanks for all the helpful messages.
The statements in >
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy

didn't work in my setting as I followed the instructions for ubuntu
Lucid. However, with the help offered by the wireless chat-channel I was
able to install the right driver (it actually turned out to be the b43
driver and not the b43legacy one) and suddenly wireless worked although
wicd is apparently broken as wicd-client still complains and won't
connect but apparently it is not necessary.
My only problem is that I have tried so many different things I cannot
retrace what was the correct thing(s) I did. It is especially shamefull
for somebody who has worked for over 25 years a a research scientist not
to document every move when working on the computer! Well, it proves
that retirement makes you sloppy.
Anyway, thanks again everybody,
Joep



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 08:07 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>> (rev 03). On the site >
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>> worse. I can find the module:
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>> Joep
>>
>
> Probably obvious, but have you tried 'System|Administration|Hardware
> Drivers'?
>
> $ apt-cache search broadcom
> bcmwl-kernel-source - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
> b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
> bcmwl-modaliases - Modaliases for the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver
> bcm5700-source - module source for Broadcom's bcm5700 ethernet driver
> broadcom-sta-common - Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
> broadcom-sta-source - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
>
>
>
>
Gary,
I'm working with fluxbox and the hardware drivers tab
(Applications>System>Hardware) only contains "HPLIP Toolbox" and
"Xvidtune" and not the proprietary hardware drivers found in Gnome.
However, a funny thing happened. After I had got the whole thing working
I found under "(Gnome) Control Center" under "Hardware Drivers" the
Broadcom B43 wireless driver with the mention that a different version
was in use. I think I have to delve a little deeper into it.
Joep

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 09/25/2010 08:07 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>>> (rev 03). On the site >
>>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>>> worse. I can find the module:
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>> Probably obvious, but have you tried 'System|Administration|Hardware
>> Drivers'?
>>
>> $ apt-cache search broadcom
>> bcmwl-kernel-source - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
>> b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
>> bcmwl-modaliases - Modaliases for the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver
>> bcm5700-source - module source for Broadcom's bcm5700 ethernet driver
>> broadcom-sta-common - Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
>> broadcom-sta-source - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
>
> All the cli stuff that he has done must have done the job of
> 'System|Administration|Hardware Drivers' but who knows...
>
> To the OP: please check your logs to see whether the firmware is
> loading at boot.
>
> If it is and you haven't added b43legacy to "/etc/modules" and it's
> not loaded, load it with "modprobe b43legacy" and check whether your
> wireless nic is available.
>
Tom,
Thanks for all the help. The problem is that in the logs no errors were
seen and the wicd log was empty. I assume that network manager is active
(as wicd will not run). Iwconfig shows now the wlan0 and wifi radar
shows all access-points in the vicinity. and as I wrote in another mail
I had mistakenly chosen b43legacy instead of b43.
Thanks again for the support.
Joep



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org