Old 09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Billie Walsh

Default New KDE

David Fletcher wrote

> I'm still using Kubuntu Hardy, because I'm extremely reluctant to move to the
> new KDE. So, I'm looking into ways to disentangle myself from dependency on
> KDE.

I think the "new" KDE, KDE 4.x, experience varies from person to person
depending on how you use your computer. When it was first "released" is
was a pain but lately it's gotten very good, at least in my use. When
KDE 4 was first released there was a lot of harsh words spoken but
someone pointed out that when KDE 3 was first released most long term
KDE users complained. As the release matured it became everyones
favorite. I see the same thing happening all over again. As KDE 4
matures it has improved bunches already.

I'm first to admit that I'm not in any way a power user. I'm just an
average home computer user [ You know - the ones that are usually found
using Windows ].

For me it works very well. The one "major" change I do is use the old
style menu. Something very simple to do. My only major complaint is that
Quanta+ doesn't work well with it. It works, but some functionality is
lost. I've never been a Kmail user so I have no experience to offer on
that front. I used Thunderbird on Windows before I switched and
continued in Linux. I like the way it works and I don't seem to have the
issues I see on the lists with Kmail.

I'm a happy KDE 4 user. I would no longer be afraid to recommend it to
someone else. I don't know that it is better or worse than KDE 3, just
different.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 09:25 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:

> I'm a happy KDE 4 user. I would no longer be afraid to recommend it to
> someone else. I don't know that it is better or worse than KDE 3, just
> different.

I am as well, but I install Ubuntu (Gnome) first, then add KDE later. My
pulseaudio works like a dream, one Gnome has it sorted out. Going the
Kubuntu route appears to thoroughly blow it all up. They're admitting
it, and will support pulse in the next cycle, but not for the LTS
version. Go figure. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM
ms

On 25/09/10 19:46, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 09:25 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> I'm a happy KDE 4 user. I would no longer be afraid to recommend it to
>> someone else. I don't know that it is better or worse than KDE 3, just
>> different.
>
> I am as well, but I install Ubuntu (Gnome) first, then add KDE later. My
> pulseaudio works like a dream, one Gnome has it sorted out. Going the
> Kubuntu route appears to thoroughly blow it all up. They're admitting
> it, and will support pulse in the next cycle, but not for the LTS
> version. Go figure. Ric

I used KDE since the start of my Linux usage, (around 2004), and I used
KDE 4 on Gentoo. KDE 4 is definitely a good desktop system now. The only
thing that they botched beyond recognition is Amarok, that once was the
best music player ever, and now... well, it's still good (and I still
use it) but not nearly comparable to the interface and features of the
old one.

However I now use Gnome: big step for me, since I've always found Gnome
unbereable. But on Ubuntu 10.04, it feels just right. I still think
Konqueror is much superior to Nautilus, but one can live with it.

m.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Doug

On 9/25/2010 2:46 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 09:25 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> I'm a happy KDE 4 user. I would no longer be afraid to recommend it to
>> someone else. I don't know that it is better or worse than KDE 3, just
>> different.
There is KDE amd there is KDE. It seems to depend on the
implementation. I believe that Kubuntu and PCLINUXOS are both using
KDE 4.4.5. PCL is a wonderful system. I looked at the Kubuntu live
for about 20 minutes and decided that there's no way to fix it, ever.
Goo'by, Kubuntu!

-doug

Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 PM
rikona