Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Karl Larsen

Default Good backup hard drive

How to use the HP SimpleSave on Linux

I have the hard drive (which is small and made with the new
non-rotating memory) to work on Linux all versions. The NTSF file system
is known to Linux so it is not a problem.

The many files on the hard drive put there to boot the hard
drive when the USB plug is placed into a Windows computer. This action
will interfere with using rsync on Linux. So here is what I did to allow
this hard drive to work on Linux:

1. Plug the device into a USB port on your Linux computer. On
the computer using modern Ubuntu Linux the hard drive will appear on the
/media/ directory as /media/HP SimpleSave/. With a terminal, cd to the
hard drive.

2. Use ls -al to display all the files on the hard drive. Use:

$ mkdir stuff

3. Now put all these files in the directory /stuff/:

$ mv * stuff You will get an error saying it did not put
/stuff into /stuff.

$ ls -al will show that the only thing on the hard drive is now
a directory /stuff.

3. Now try to do a backup and it will work in a normal fashion.
I use this:

$ rsync -avz / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
/media/'HP SimpleSave'/bkup-1/

4. I have a backup of my whole computer on the little hard
drive right now. I can do a partial backup of new things as desired.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * * * * * * * How to use the HP SimpleSave on Linux
>
> * * * * I have the hard drive (which is small and made with the new
> non-rotating memory) to work on Linux all versions. The NTSF file system
> is known to Linux so it is not a problem.
>
> * * * * The many files on the hard drive put there to boot the hard
> drive when the USB plug is placed into a Windows computer. This action
> will interfere with using rsync on Linux. So here is what I did to allow
> this hard drive to work on Linux:
>
> * * * * 1. Plug the device into a USB port on your Linux computer. On
> the computer using modern Ubuntu Linux the hard drive will appear on the
> /media/ directory as /media/HP SimpleSave/. With a terminal, cd to the
> hard drive.
>
> * * * * 2. Use ls -al to display all the files on the hard drive. Use:
>
> * * * * $ mkdir stuff
>
> * * * * 3. Now put all these files in the directory /stuff/:
>
> * * * * $ mv * stuff *You will get an error saying it did not put
> /stuff into /stuff.
>
> * * * * $ ls -al will show that the only thing on the hard drive is now
> a directory /stuff.
>
> * * * * 3. Now try to do a backup and it will work in a normal fashion.
> I use this:
>
> * * * * $ rsync -avz / --exclude-from=/home/karl/bin/exclude-list
> /media/'HP SimpleSave'/bkup-1/
>
> * * * * 4. I have a backup of my whole computer on the little hard
> drive right now. I can do a partial backup of new things as desired.

Any questions? Or blog post? Maybe you could have your blog post
threads prepended with [Blog] so as to help other users understand
you're just posting about some new results you've came up with? Just a
suggestion. I'm saving all your blog posts, soon I will have a domain
with all of them available. I think it'd be kinda cool.

~SpaceGhost