Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Zatlite Minthar

Default Configuring Display

Hi,

I've loaded xubuntu on my old machine. And the programs work fine. The installation defaults my display settings to 800x600 16bit color when it finished installing. Meaning my machine's hardware is not supported well. After hours of time spent fiddling and googling, I've managed to update my xorg.conf file with my monitor's horizontal and vertical sync values.

Section "Device"
Identifier "S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D"
Driver "vesa"
BusID "PCI:1:1:0"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Philips 150S"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-61
VertRefresh 56-76
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D"
Monitor "Philips 150S"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x768@60" "800x600@60"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The problem is my crappy onboard vga card. When the color depth is set to 16 bit it displays with lots of vertical lines on the screen.
I've come across this same problem when I was trying out puppy linux and I was able to by pass it when I set the color depth to 15bit in the conf file. With this xubuntu(gutsy) installation though, I'm not able to do the same. Whenever I set the color depth to 15bit in the conf and restart, the machine only loads up to the log in screen. As I expected, the annoying vertical lines disappeared with this setting but xubuntu won't even let me type in the password. It shows the login screen for a few secs and then it crashes and tries to load the login screen again. Can anyone suggest ways to get these lines to go away? I've tried setting the color depth to 24bits but that makes it worse and the machine just resets it to the lowest setting.

Zatlite.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
andy baxter

Zatlite Minthar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've loaded xubuntu on my old machine. And the programs work fine. The installation defaults my display settings to 800x600 16bit color when it finished installing. Meaning my machine's hardware is not supported well. After hours of time spent fiddling and googling, I've managed to update my xorg.conf file with my monitor's horizontal and vertical sync values.
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D"
> Driver "vesa"
> BusID "PCI:1:1:0"
> Option "UseFBDev" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Philips 150S"
> Option "DPMS"
> HorizSync 30-61
> VertRefresh 56-76
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D"
> Monitor "Philips 150S"
> DefaultDepth 16
> SubSection "Display"
> Modes "1024x768@60" "800x600@60"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> The problem is my crappy onboard vga card. When the color depth is set to 16 bit it displays with lots of vertical lines on the screen.
> I've come across this same problem when I was trying out puppy linux and I was able to by pass it when I set the color depth to 15bit in the conf file. With this xubuntu(gutsy) installation though, I'm not able to do the same. Whenever I set the color depth to 15bit in the conf and restart, the machine only loads up to the log in screen. As I expected, the annoying vertical lines disappeared with this setting but xubuntu won't even let me type in the password. It shows the login screen for a few secs and then it crashes and tries to load the login screen again. Can anyone suggest ways to get these lines to go away? I've tried setting the color depth to 24bits but that makes it worse and the machine just resets it to the lowest setting.

It might be worth doing the following:

- try to start X in 15 bit mode. Let it try to start X until it gives up.
- then do ctrl-alt-f1 to get a text mode terminal
- then log in as your normal user.
- then copy /var/log/Xorg.0.log to somewhere in your user's home directory.
(do this by typing cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/<your-username>/Xorg.log)
- then post this file to the list.

This will let people see the log of the unsuccessful X session.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Zatlite Minthar

Ok, attached the log but it's being held back because the message is bigger than allowed. Hope it goes through.

This is my monitor I think. http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/1/150s5fg_00/150s5fg_00_pss_aen.pdf

'I think' because that pdf states my lcd's max resolution is 1024x768 @75Hz

When I know I've never been able to get anything pass 1024x768 @60Hz and it is written at the back the screen refresh rates are 50Hz - 60Hz
The model number written at the back says Philips 150S5FG/00

Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Zatlite Minthar

(II) VESA(0): Philips 150S: Using hsync range of 30.00-61.00 kHz
(II) VESA(0): Philips 150S: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-76.00 Hz
(II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1024x768@60" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using mode "800x600@60" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1152x864" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "640x400" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "512x384" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "400x300" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x240" (no mode of this name)
(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x200" (no mode of this name)
(--) VESA(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
(**) VESA(0):* Built-in mode "1024x768"
(**) VESA(0):* Built-in mode "800x600"
(**) VESA(0):* Built-in mode "640x480"
(**) VESA(0): Display dimensions: (300, 230) mm
(**) VESA(0): DPI set to (86, 84)
(II) VESA(0): Attempting to use 75Hz refresh for mode "1024x768" (116)
(II) VESA(0): Attempting to use 72Hz refresh for mode "800x600" (113)
(II) VESA(0): Attempting to use 73Hz refresh for mode "640x480" (110)
(**) VESA(0): Using "Shadow Framebuffer"

*

I think it's a problem of me not knowing how to modify the xorg.conf properly.

I don't have any modelines in the xorg.conf file that's why it's saying

I thought if I just typed in the 1024x768@60*it'll use those settings but now, I'm guessing that is only an identifier for the modeline.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Zatlite Minthar

Is there a way for me to make changes to xorg.conf and restart xfce using the*modified xorg.conf*without needing to reboot the system all the time?
Some xfce restart command perhaps?

> [...]

> It might be worth doing the following:
>
> - try to start X in 15 bit mode. Let it try to start X until it gives up.
> - then do ctrl-alt-f1 to get a text mode terminal
> - then log in as your normal user.
> - then copy /var/log/Xorg.0.log to somewhere in your user's home directory.
> (do this by typing cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/<your-username>/Xorg.log)
> - then post this file to the list.
>
> This will let people see the log of the unsuccessful X session.

Climb to the top of the charts!*Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
andy baxter

Zatlite Minthar wrote:
> (II) VESA(0): Philips 150S: Using hsync range of 30.00-61.00 kHz
> (II) VESA(0): Philips 150S: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-76.00 Hz
> (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1024x768@60 <mailto:1024x768@60>" (no
> mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "800x600@60 <mailto:800x600@60>" (no mode
> of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1152x864" (no mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "640x400" (no mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "512x384" (no mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "400x300" (no mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x240" (no mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x200" (no mode of this name)
> (--) VESA(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
> (**) VESA(0): Built-in mode "1024x768"
> (**) VESA(0): Built-in mode "800x600"
> (**) VESA(0): Built-in mode "640x480"
> (**) VESA(0): Display dimensions: (300, 230) mm
> (**) VESA(0): DPI set to (86, 84)
> (II) VESA(0): Attempting to use 75Hz refresh for mode "1024x768" (116)
> (II) VESA(0): Attempting to use 72Hz refresh for mode "800x600" (113)
> (II) VESA(0): Attempting to use 73Hz refresh for mode "640x480" (110)
> (**) VESA(0): Using "Shadow Framebuffer"
>
> I think it's a problem of me not knowing how to modify the xorg.conf
> properly.
> I don't have any modelines in the xorg.conf file that's why it's saying
> (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1024x768@60 <mailto:1024x768@60>" (no
> mode of this name)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "800x600@60 <mailto:800x600@60>" (no mode
> of this name)
>
> I thought if I just typed in the 1024x768@60
> <mailto:1024x768@60> it'll use those settings but now, I'm guessing
> that is only an identifier for the modeline.
I think the problem is you've put '@60' after the resolution when it
doesn't belong there. Also each Subsection "Display" should have a Depth
entry as well, like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "S3 Inc. Trio 64 3D"
Monitor "Philips 150S"
DefaultDepth 15
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 PM
andy baxter

Zatlite Minthar wrote:
> Is there a way for me to make changes to xorg.conf and restart xfce
> using the modified xorg.conf without needing to reboot the system all
> the time?
> Some xfce restart command perhaps?

You can do it from a text prompt as follows:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
(replace with kdm if you're using kdm as your desktop manager)