Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Franz Waldmüller

Default any plugin to synchronize bookmarks

Hi Tapas,

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for some thing that can store my bookmarks online.
> I have to copy paste the link in vi and store them under different headings.
> I came across one link
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2448/
> but if there is some thing similar available from some official repositories?

you will like firefox sync (I used this plugin when it was called
"mozilla weave" and liked it very much).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10868/
https://services.mozilla.com/

you can encrypt your bookmarks, history and stored passwords as well.

Franz

Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Ronald Artos

xmarks addon for Chrome and Firefox
http://www.xmarks.com/

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 September 2010 12:03, Ronald Artos <ronartos@gmail.com> wrote:
> xmarks addon for Chrome and Firefox
> http://www.xmarks.com/

Another vote for Xmarks, which I've been using for years, across
Linux, Windows & Mac OS X. Works with non-Mozilla browsers as well
these days.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
sdavmor

On 09/24/2010 07:20 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 12:03, Ronald Artos<ronartos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> xmarks addon for Chrome and Firefox
>> http://www.xmarks.com/
>
> Another vote for Xmarks, which I've been using for years, across
> Linux, Windows& Mac OS X. Works with non-Mozilla browsers as well
> these days.

+1 for Xmarks. My family use it on Firefox. We also have done so for
several years.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi,

sdavmor wrote:
> On 09/24/2010 07:20 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 24 September 2010 12:03, Ronald Artos<ronartos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> xmarks addon for Chrome and Firefox
>>> http://www.xmarks.com/
>> Another vote for Xmarks, which I've been using for years, across
>> Linux, Windows& Mac OS X. Works with non-Mozilla browsers as well
>> these days.
>
> +1 for Xmarks. My family use it on Firefox. We also have done so for
> several years.

I don't know the Xmarks addon, but I found this nice article which
expresses my thoughts about storing ones bookmarks on server (without
encryption):
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Comment-Mozilla-does-it-their-way-1015210.html

just my 2c
Franz

Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Liam Proven

2010/9/25 Franz Waldmüller <waldbauernbub@gmx.at>:
> Hi,
>
> sdavmor wrote:
>>> Another vote for Xmarks, which I've been using for years, across
>>> Linux, Windows& Â*Mac OS X. Works with non-Mozilla browsers as well
>>> these days.
>>
>> +1 for Xmarks. Â*My family use it on Firefox. We also have done so for
>> several years.
>
> I don't know the Xmarks addon, but I found this nice article which
> expresses my thoughts about storing ones bookmarks on server (without
> encryption):
> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Comment-Mozilla-does-it-their-way-1015210.html
>
> just my 2c
> Franz

Ha! I used to work with those guys - I was the networks editor of that
site. They are /very/ keen on security and privacy.

Xmarks encrypt passwords and so on, but bookmarks? Hey, they're just
my bookmarks. Addresses of publically-available websites. Honestly, I
don't care that much who sees them. If data mining through aggregated
collections of bookmarks means Xmarks have found a way to make a
profit while extending me a very handy free service, I am fine with
it.

As Scott McNeally said of customer privacy:
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."

(Ref: http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/01/17538)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Alan Pope

On 24 September 2010 07:15, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some thing that can store my bookmarks online.
> I have to copy paste the link in vi and store them under different headings.
> I came across one link
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2448/
> but if there is some thing similar available from some official repositories?

Ubuntu One has a bookmark sync tool, however it seems disabled/broken
at the moment.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOne/Tutorials/Bookmarks
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOne/Status#Bookmarks
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-servers/+bug/585530

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Luis Paulo

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 07:15, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for some thing that can store my bookmarks online.
> I have to copy paste the link in vi and store them under different headings.

"plugin to synchronize bookmarks, store my bookmarks online, copy
paste the link in vi, store them under different headings" ?
Not sure what you want.

A big question may be if you only use firefox. If not, a pure online
tool and/or crossbrowser support is needed. Xmarks probably the thing
to use.

Any way, for firefox only, I use SyncPlaces
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8426/).Like it because
I can synchronize firefox bookmarks and web passwords to _my_ own ftp
server.

CheckPlaces (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10897/) is
another tool from Andy Halford that I find useful.
To organize bookmarks I use TagSifter
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/998/). Some people
like tags, others think its a waste of time.

> I came across one link
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2448/
> but if there is some thing similar available from some official repositories?

You mean Ubuntu official repositories? Not that I know.
Many on mozilla addons. Its kind of an official repository too.
If you didn't yet, check
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=sync&cat=1%2C22&lver=any&pid=1&sort=&pp=20&lup= &advanced=

Hope it helps
Luis

* No matter what you use, remember to backup your bookmarks once in a while. *

Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM
ms

On 26/09/10 13:32, Luis Paulo wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 07:15, Tapas Mishra<mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am looking for some thing that can store my bookmarks online.
>> I have to copy paste the link in vi and store them under different headings.
>
> "plugin to synchronize bookmarks, store my bookmarks online, copy
> paste the link in vi, store them under different headings" ?
> Not sure what you want.
>
> A big question may be if you only use firefox. If not, a pure online
> tool and/or crossbrowser support is needed. Xmarks probably the thing
> to use.
>
> Any way, for firefox only, I use SyncPlaces
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8426/).Like it because
> I can synchronize firefox bookmarks and web passwords to _my_ own ftp
> server.
>
> CheckPlaces (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10897/) is
> another tool from Andy Halford that I find useful.
> To organize bookmarks I use TagSifter
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/998/). Some people
> like tags, others think its a waste of time.
>
>> I came across one link
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2448/
>> but if there is some thing similar available from some official repositories?
>
> You mean Ubuntu official repositories? Not that I know.
> Many on mozilla addons. Its kind of an official repository too.
> If you didn't yet, check
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=sync&cat=1%2C22&lver=any&pid=1&sort=&pp=20&lup= &advanced=
>
> Hope it helps
> Luis

I use delicious, with its Firefox plugin, which allows also a nice
tagging. You can set your bookmarks to private if you don't want to
share them.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM
"Maxime Alarie"

You could try dropbox.

It's a nice sync tool between computers. Everything you put in there is
synchronized with all computers you link to your dropbox account. You
can revert, to earlier versions of any files you put in there. Its neat,
Its free, you get 2GB of storage when you start, get it here:
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQxNjU2Mjk