Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Bill Taylor

Default initramfs solution for Lucid

*
I have tried a number of published solutions and have even published one
that worked for over a week. The following, of course, is from the
Terminal after a successful boot but it has been the solution on several
units. On my AMD triple core Phenom the #chroot /proc accomplished
nothing but neither did it hurt. For those of you that are newbies, cut
and paste one line at a time to your Terminal and you'll not get into
trouble. Just refrain from remembering the sudo su command, it'll keep
you from a mistake until you know why.

sudo su

#mkdir /mnt/sda1
#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
#chroot /proc
#update-initramfs -u
#reboot

Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Bill Taylor <th1bill@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I have tried a number of published solutions and have even published one
> that worked for over a week. The following, of course, is from the
> Terminal after a successful boot but it has been the solution on several
> units. On my AMD triple core Phenom the #chroot /proc accomplished
> nothing but neither did it hurt. For those of you that are newbies, cut
> and paste one line at a time to your Terminal and you'll not get into
> trouble. Just refrain from remembering the sudo su command, it'll keep
> you from a mistake until you know why.
>
> sudo su
>
> #mkdir /mnt/sda1
> #mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
> #chroot /proc
> #update-initramfs -u
> #reboot

What are you trying to do?

What are you expecting "chroot /proc" to do?!

If you are trying to chroot an install where "/" is "/dev/sda1" (and
where "/boot" isn't a separate partition), try this:

# mkdir /mnt/sysroot
# export M=/mnt/sysroot
# mount /dev/sda1 $M
# mount --bind /dev $M/dev