Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 PM
C de-Avillez

Default openssl ECB output

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:07:39 -0400
Ali Khalfan <ali.khalfan@gmail.com> wrote:

> don't know if anyone has ever tried this before. But I'm trying to
> demonstrate the weakness of electronic code book block encryption by
> using using openssl. There is an option in openssl in openssl to
> select dec-ecb. So I gave it a shot.
>
> So I fed the following into the terminal
>
> openssl des-ecb -kfile deskty -in test.txt -out someEncryptedFile
>

> However, everytime, I get a different output.
>
> Is there any parameter i need to set in openssl to get the same
> outpu?

You probably want to pass '-nosalt' on the openssl call [1]: the
default is to salt the keys. Since it is a demonstration, no problem...

Cheers,

[1] 'man enc' for details
--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Ali Khalfan