Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Ken Adams

Default LAN Chat/Talk

What suggestions do you all have for a Gnome based Talk/Chat program
that looks and feels like empathy etc. that runs just on a LAN and only
the users on that lan can log into it.??

Rgds Ken

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Alan Pope

On 23 September 2010 22:50, Ken Adams <adams.ken.j@googlemail.com> wrote:
> What suggestions do you all have for a Gnome based Talk/Chat program
> that looks and feels like empathy etc. that runs just on a LAN and only
> the users on that lan can log into it.??

How about.. Empathy

Empathy (and other chat clients like Pidgin and iChat) have the
ability to connect using 'bonjour' / 'zeroconf' / 'avahi' system. I
think in Empathy it's called 'Salut'. It's direct chat over the LAN,
no external servers are required.

I used it once on a train to say 'hello' to someone else on the train
who was using my personal 3g access point I was on Ubuntu with
Pidgin, she was on a Mac with iChat. Standards work sometimes.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Karl Auer

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 22:50 +0100, Ken Adams wrote:
> What suggestions do you all have for a Gnome based Talk/Chat program
> that looks and feels like empathy etc. that runs just on a LAN and only
> the users on that lan can log into it.??

I'd say it sounds like you should save yourself a huge amount of work
and use empathy with suitable packet filters on your router...

Or take the empathy source code and hack it to fit.

Regards, K.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 22:50 +0100, Ken Adams wrote:
> What suggestions do you all have for a Gnome based Talk/Chat program
> that looks and feels like empathy etc. that runs just on a LAN and only
> the users on that lan can log into it.??
>
> Rgds Ken

Hi Ken

I'm no expert on this, but try

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpJabberServer

Then you can all use Empathy.

There is also some exiting developments, like Muji which hold out the
prospect of video conferencing!

http://blogs.gnome.org/danni/2010/06/07/muji-multi-user-jingle/

Tony

Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 22:55 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 23 September 2010 22:50, Ken Adams <adams.ken.j@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > What suggestions do you all have for a Gnome based Talk/Chat program
> > that looks and feels like empathy etc. that runs just on a LAN and only
> > the users on that lan can log into it.??
> >

> How about.. Empathy
>
> Empathy (and other chat clients like Pidgin and iChat) have the
> ability to connect using 'bonjour' / 'zeroconf' / 'avahi' system. I
> think in Empathy it's called 'Salut'. It's direct chat over the LAN,
> no external servers are required.
>
> I used it once on a train to say 'hello' to someone else on the train
> who was using my personal 3g access point I was on Ubuntu with
> Pidgin, she was on a Mac with iChat. Standards work sometimes.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Is that what they call 'People Nearby'?

Tony

Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Alan Pope

On 23 September 2010 23:03, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Is that what they call 'People Nearby'?

Not used it recently, but that sounds familiar.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 23:05 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 23 September 2010 23:03, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Is that what they call 'People Nearby'?
> >

> Not used it recently, but that sounds familiar.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Just tried it between my PC and EEEPC. Works OK for typed Chat but it
seems there is no AV, which I assume you would get with a Jabber server
on the network.

Tony

Old 09-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, September 24, 2010 06:00 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 22:50 +0100, Ken Adams wrote:
>> What suggestions do you all have for a Gnome based Talk/Chat program
>> that looks and feels like empathy etc. that runs just on a LAN and only
>> the users on that lan can log into it.??
>>
>> Rgds Ken
>>

> Hi Ken
>
> I'm no expert on this, but try
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpJabberServer
>
> Then you can all use Empathy.
>
> There is also some exiting developments, like Muji which hold out the
> prospect of video conferencing!
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/danni/2010/06/07/muji-multi-user-jingle/

There was a solution using vic a long time ago for video
conferencing...but it sure has taken ages to show up anywhere else.