FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
drew einhorn
 
Default sata problems

Hi,
I have a Sans Digital TRA4M external 4bay sata drive enclosure.
With a SiL 3132 one lane pci-e adapter.
It connects using a single esata cable, there is a sata port multiplier in


the enclosure
I see lots of people having trouble getting the ubuntu to recognize all the drives.I realize the bios reports only one drive, but with a current kernel all the drives


are accessible. *I can mount filesystems on all the drives. *But if I start copyingdata from one drive to another, the system freezes after about 10 or 20 secondsand the only way I've found to recover is to reboot the system*


Tried again, wanted to look around in /var/log, ran almost a minute before freezing,didn't spot anything relevant in /var/log. *Is there an incantation for turning on moredebugging info in the logs.


The source drive is on half a mdraid mirror from another crashed box.Should try a healthier source filesystem.
Didn't help tried: *cp -Rx / /mnt/test with /mnt/test mounted on a drive in the
external box.
Should try another raid controller, but it will be a day or so before I can scrounge
up a cable with sata on one end and esata on the other.
The controller thats giving me problems is a:*
** *SiL 3132 SATARaid with bios 7.4.05

** * * *Hmm!!! maybe I should update the bios, but the only linux bios update utility I can find is about 4 years old.** * * *I can find a recent DOS update utility, but then I have to find a dos boot disk, and a floppy drive.

and I'm running on:

** *uname -a** *Linux drew-challenge 2.6.32-24-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 14:58:24 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Any ideas on what I should try next to debug this problem?

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."

* --* Yogi Berra


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default sata problems

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 11:39 -0600, drew einhorn wrote:

>
> The controller thats giving me problems is a:
>
>
> SiL 3132 SATARaid with bios 7.4.05

Here's another shot in the dark, but on my motherboard the SATA
connector is slightly loose. The builder of my machine dabbed some
silicone rubber where the plug went into it's base to hold it more
secure, after it dried. He mentioned that it was a common problem. If I
nudged the machine, just the slightest, the drive would disconnect. The
silicone fixed that. No idea if I was BS'd or not, but it worked. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Christopher Chan
 
Default sata problems

On Friday, September 24, 2010 01:39 AM, drew einhorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sans Digital TRA4M external 4bay sata drive enclosure.
>
> With a SiL 3132 one lane pci-e adapter.
>
> It connects using a single esata cable, there is a sata port multiplier in
> the enclosure
>
> Any ideas on what I should try next to debug this problem?

Do you know what chipset the multiplier is? It could be problems with
the multiplexer or incompatibility.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
drew einhorn
 
Default sata problems

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 11:39 -0600, drew einhorn wrote:



>

> The controller thats giving me problems is a:

>

>

> * * SiL 3132 SATARaid with bios 7.4.05



Here's another shot in the dark, but on my motherboard the SATA

connector is slightly loose. The builder of my machine dabbed some

silicone rubber where the plug went into it's base to hold it more

secure, after it dried. He mentioned that it was a common problem. If I

nudged the machine, just the slightest, the drive would disconnect. The

silicone fixed that. No idea if I was BS'd or not, but it worked. Ric

Need to do more testing.But the error is triggered when I start copying lots of data to the external
enclosure, either with a cp -R or (cd source; tar cf - .) | (cd dest; tar xf -),not when a cable gets jiggled.*
--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."

* --* Yogi Berra

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
drew einhorn
 
Default sata problems

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:


On Friday, September 24, 2010 01:39 AM, drew einhorn wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I have a Sans Digital TRA4M external 4bay sata drive enclosure.

>

> With a SiL 3132 one lane pci-e adapter.

>

> It connects using a single esata cable, there is a sata port multiplier in

> the enclosure

>

> Any ideas on what I should try next to debug this problem?



Do you know what chipset the multiplier is? It could be problems with

the multiplexer or incompatibility.
Don't know:
Here's the only relevant line I could find in /var/log/messages*Sep 24 10:11:01 drew-challenge kernel: [ 7067.140342] ata3.15: Port Multiplier 1.1, 0x1095:0x3726 r23, 6 ports, feat 0x1/0x9


And here's the relevant stuff from lshw
** * * **-pci:1** * * * * * description: PCI bridge** * * * * * product: RS480 PCI Bridge** * * * * * vendor: ATI Technologies Inc

** * * * * * physical id: 4** * * * * * bus info: pci@0000:00:04.0** * * * * * version: 00** * * * * * width: 32 bits** * * * * * clock: 33MHz** * * * * * capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht bus_master cap_list

** * * * * * configuration: driver=pcieport** * * * * * resources: irq:0 ioport:d000(size=4096) memory:fdd00000-fddfffff ioport:fda00000(size=1048576)** * * * * *-storage** * * * * * * *description: RAID bus controller

** * * * * * * *product: SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller** * * * * * * *vendor: Silicon Image, Inc.** * * * * * * *physical id: 0** * * * * * * *bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0

** * * * * * * *logical name: scsi2** * * * * * * *version: 01** * * * * * * *width: 64 bits** * * * * * * *clock: 33MHz** * * * * * * *capabilities: storage pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom emulated

** * * * * * * *configuration: driver=sata_sil24 latency=0** * * * * * * *resources: irq:16 memory:fddff000-fddff07f memory:fddf8000-fddfbfff ioport:dc00(size=128) memory:fda00000-fda7ffff(prefetchable)

** * * * * * **-disk:0** * * * * * * * * description: ATA Disk** * * * * * * * * product: ST3750528AS** * * * * * * * * vendor: Seagate** * * * * * * * * physical id: 1.0.0

** * * * * * * * * bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0** * * * * * * * * logical name: /dev/sdc** * * * * * * * * version: CC38** * * * * * * * * serial: 5VP3DPA1** * * * * * * * * size: 698GiB (750GB)

** * * * * * * * * capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos** * * * * * * * * configuration: ansiversion=5** * * * * * * * *-volume:0** * * * * * * * * * *description: Linux swap volume

** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 1** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0,1** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdc1** * * * * * * * * * *version: 1** * * * * * * * * * *size: 980MiB

** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 980MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi swap initialized** * * * * * * * * * *configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096** * * * * * * * *-volume:1

** * * * * * * * * * *description: EXT3 volume** * * * * * * * * * *vendor: Linux** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 2** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0,2** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdc2

** * * * * * * * * * *version: 1.0** * * * * * * * * * *serial: 827118d4-d74f-4e7c-a9d1-db15c3bdaf8e** * * * * * * * * * *size: 697GiB** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 697GiB

** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi journaled extended_attributes large_files recover ext3 ext2 initialized** * * * * * * * * * *configuration: created=2010-08-30 00:44:14 filesystem=ext3 modified=2010-09-22 22:30:04 mounted=2010-09-22 22:30:04 state=clean

** * * * * * * * *-volume:2** * * * * * * * * * *description: Linux raid autodetect partition** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 3** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0,3

** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdc3** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 494MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi** * * * * * **-disk:1** * * * * * * * * description: ATA Disk

** * * * * * * * * product: ST3750528AS** * * * * * * * * vendor: Seagate** * * * * * * * * physical id: 2.0.0** * * * * * * * * bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0** * * * * * * * * logical name: /dev/sdd

** * * * * * * * * version: CC38** * * * * * * * * serial: 5VP3ES8K** * * * * * * * * size: 698GiB (750GB)** * * * * * * * * capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos** * * * * * * * * configuration: ansiversion=5

** * * * * * * * *-volume:0** * * * * * * * * * *description: Linux swap volume** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 1** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0,1

** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdd1** * * * * * * * * * *version: 1** * * * * * * * * * *size: 980MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 980MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi swap initialized

** * * * * * * * * * *configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096** * * * * * * * *-volume:1** * * * * * * * * * *description: EXT3 volume** * * * * * * * * * *vendor: Linux

** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 2** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0,2** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdd2** * * * * * * * * * *version: 1.0** * * * * * * * * * *serial: 827118d4-d74f-4e7c-a9d1-db15c3bdaf8e

** * * * * * * * * * *size: 697GiB** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 697GiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi journaled extended_attributes large_files recover ext3 ext2 initialized

** * * * * * * * * * *configuration: created=2010-08-30 00:44:14 filesystem=ext3 modified=2010-09-23 16:41:32 mounted=2010-09-23 16:41:32 state=clean** * * * * * * * *-volume:2** * * * * * * * * * *description: Linux raid autodetect partition

** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 3** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0,3** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdd3** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 494MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi

** * * * * * **-disk:2** * * * * * * * * description: ATA Disk** * * * * * * * * product: WDC WD800JD-60LS** * * * * * * * * vendor: Western Digital** * * * * * * * * physical id: 3.0.0

** * * * * * * * * bus info: scsi@2:3.0.0** * * * * * * * * logical name: /dev/sdf** * * * * * * * * version: 07.0** * * * * * * * * serial: WD-WMAM9U371833** * * * * * * * * size: 74GiB (80GB)

** * * * * * * * * capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos** * * * * * * * * configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000d8195** * * * * * * * *-volume:0** * * * * * * * * * *description: EXT3 volume

** * * * * * * * * * *vendor: Linux** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 1** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:3.0.0,1** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdf1** * * * * * * * * * *version: 1.0

** * * * * * * * * * *serial: 07d3aca7-b57a-44bd-aa60-87df11deeb88** * * * * * * * * * *size: 101MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 101MiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary bootable journaled extended_attributes recover ext3 ext2 initialized

** * * * * * * * * * *configuration: created=2006-01-15 01:28:26 filesystem=ext3 label=/boot modified=2010-07-28 16:44:43 mounted=2010-07-28 16:44:43 state=clean** * * * * * * * *-volume:1** * * * * * * * * * *description: Linux LVM Physical Volume partition

** * * * * * * * * * *physical id: 2** * * * * * * * * * *bus info: scsi@2:3.0.0,2** * * * * * * * * * *logical name: /dev/sdf2** * * * * * * * * * *serial: 2EzUgh-qFBh-EzXp-LOhq-KCdG-wo4e-CUsLTP

** * * * * * * * * * *size: 74GiB** * * * * * * * * * *capacity: 74GiB** * * * * * * * * * *capabilities: primary multi lvm2
The drives have been moved around since the last time I tried writing here.

Hmm. *Somehow the mirrored filesystem from another box got broken. *Ihave both halves, and can mount both of them in degraded mode, but Ican't put them together. *Doesn't matter, once I get the data salvaged,
I'll build a brand spanking new mirror.
Anyway at the moment I am successfully copying data from one halfthe mirror to a sata drive connected to the motherboard.

It appears that the only thing that doesn't work is trying to copy a wholefilesystem or large directory to a drive on the port multiplier.
Sent somebody out to buy a sata to esata adapter cable,
so I should be able to try with a different controller later today.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
* --* Yogi Berra

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Doug
 
Default sata problems

On 9/24/2010 11:40 AM, drew einhorn wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com
> <mailto:wayward4now@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 11:39 -0600, drew einhorn wrote:
>
> >
> > The controller thats giving me problems is a:
> >
> >
> > SiL 3132 SATARaid with bios 7.4.05
>
> Here's another shot in the dark, but on my motherboard the SATA
> connector is slightly loose. The builder of my machine dabbed some
> silicone rubber where the plug went into it's base to hold it more
> secure, after it dried. He mentioned that it was a common problem. If I
> nudged the machine, just the slightest, the drive would disconnect. The
> silicone fixed that. No idea if I was BS'd or not, but it worked. Ric
>
>
> Need to do more testing.
> But the error is triggered when I start copying lots of data to the external
> enclosure, either with a cp -R or (cd source; tar cf - .) | (cd dest;
> tar xf -),
> not when a cable gets jiggled.
>
>
> --
> Drew Einhorn

I assume you mean that the _pins_ of the connector are wobbly.
If the connector is loose on the mobo, it must need to be resoldered.
If it is a thru-hole connector--that is, if the pins go all the way thru
the board and can be soldered from the bottom side--then you
should take out the board and (carefully) resolder them. If it is
a surface-mount part, and you can see the pins where they're soldered
to the board, you can (very carefully, with a fine-tipped iron)
resolder them. If you can't see the pins where they are soldered to the
board, they are reflowed, and there's no way you can fix that,
that I'm aware of. Not safely, anyway. Gluing the plastic part of the
connector down to the board will not fix the underlying problem. I spent
most of my life in engineering, and have worked on a lot of hardware, so
I expect that this advice is correct.

If by any chance, the mobo (or the whole computer) is still under
warranty, take it back and let the dealer or manufacturer deal with
the problem, Most likely, the whole mobo would be replaced.

--doug



--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
drew einhorn
 
Default sata problems

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:



I assume you mean that the _pins_ of the connector are wobbly.

If the connector is loose on the mobo, it must need to be resoldered.

...*



If by any chance, the mobo (or the whole computer) is still under

warranty, take it back and let the dealer or manufacturer deal with

the problem, *Most likely, the whole mobo would be replaced.

My problem is NOT a sata connector problem!!Although another responder to my initial post did have a sata connector problem.

See other posts in this thread for my problem which still has me stumped.
Does anybody have a working*Sans Digital TRA4M 4bay sata enclosure with a
SiL 3132 SATARaid with bios 7.4.05 on a Lucid box?

It works for light duty usage.
It works for heavy duty copying from drives in the enclosure
Heavy duty copying to a drive in the enclosure (copying a whole
filesystem or large directory) causes the system to lockup,
reboot necessary, haven't found anything of interest in /var/log
after rebooting.
*--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
* --* Yogi Berra

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
drew einhorn
 
Default sata problems

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:



I assume you mean that the _pins_ of the connector are wobbly.

If the connector is loose on the mobo, it must need to be resoldered.

...*



If by any chance, the mobo (or the whole computer) is still under

warranty, take it back and let the dealer or manufacturer deal with

the problem, *Most likely, the whole mobo would be replaced.

My problem is NOT a sata connector problem!!Although another responder to my initial post did have a sata connector problem.

See other posts in this thread for my problem which still has me stumped.
Does anybody have a working*Sans Digital TRA4M 4bay sata enclosure with a
SiL 3132 SATARaid with bios 7.4.05 on a Lucid box?

It works for light duty usage.
It works for heavy duty copying from drives in the enclosure
Heavy duty copying to a drive in the enclosure (copying a whole
filesystem or large directory) causes the system to lockup,
reboot necessary, haven't found anything of interest in /var/log
after rebooting.
*--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
* --* Yogi Berra

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Nataraj
 
Default sata problems

drew einhorn wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>
> On Friday, September 24, 2010 01:39 AM, drew einhorn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Sans Digital TRA4M external 4bay sata drive enclosure.
> >
> > With a SiL 3132 one lane pci-e adapter.
> >
> > It connects using a single esata cable, there is a sata port
> multiplier in
> > the enclosure
> >
> > Any ideas on what I should try next to debug this problem?
>
> Do you know what chipset the multiplier is? It could be problems with
> the multiplexer or incompatibility.
>
>
> Don't know:
>
> Here's the only relevant line I could find in /var/log/messages
> Sep 24 10:11:01 drew-challenge kernel: [ 7067.140342] ata3.15: Port
> Multiplier 1.1, 0x1095:0x3726 r23, 6 ports, feat 0x1/0x9
>
> And here's the relevant stuff from lshw
>
> *-pci:1
> description: PCI bridge
> product: RS480 PCI Bridge
> vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> physical id: 4
> bus info: pci@0000:00:04.0
> version: 00
> width: 32 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=pcieport
> resources: irq:0 ioport:d000(size=4096)
> memory:fdd00000-fddfffff ioport:fda00000(size=1048576)
> *-storage
> description: RAID bus controller
> product: SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller
> vendor: Silicon Image, Inc.
> physical id: 0
> bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
> logical name: scsi2
> version: 01
> width: 64 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: storage pm msi pciexpress bus_master
> cap_list rom emulated
> configuration: driver=sata_sil24 latency=0
> resources: irq:16 memory:fddff000-fddff07f
> memory:fddf8000-fddfbfff ioport:dc00(size=128)
> memory:fda00000-fda7ffff(prefetchable)
> *-disk:0
> description: ATA Disk
> product: ST3750528AS
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 1.0.0
> bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0
> logical name: /dev/sdc
> version: CC38
> serial: 5VP3DPA1
> size: 698GiB (750GB)
> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
> configuration: ansiversion=5
> *-volume:0
> description: Linux swap volume
> physical id: 1
> bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0,1
> logical name: /dev/sdc1
> version: 1
> size: 980MiB
> capacity: 980MiB
> capabilities: primary multi swap initialized
> configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096
> *-volume:1
> description: EXT3 volume
> vendor: Linux
> physical id: 2
> bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0,2
> logical name: /dev/sdc2
> version: 1.0
> serial: 827118d4-d74f-4e7c-a9d1-db15c3bdaf8e
> size: 697GiB
> capacity: 697GiB
> capabilities: primary multi journaled
> extended_attributes large_files recover ext3 ext2 initialized
> configuration: created=2010-08-30 00:44:14
> filesystem=ext3 modified=2010-09-22 22:30:04 mounted=2010-09-22
> 22:30:04 state=clean
> *-volume:2
> description: Linux raid autodetect partition
> physical id: 3
> bus info: scsi@2:1.0.0,3
> logical name: /dev/sdc3
> capacity: 494MiB
> capabilities: primary multi
> *-disk:1
> description: ATA Disk
> product: ST3750528AS
> vendor: Seagate
> physical id: 2.0.0
> bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0
> logical name: /dev/sdd
> version: CC38
> serial: 5VP3ES8K
> size: 698GiB (750GB)
> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
> configuration: ansiversion=5
> *-volume:0
> description: Linux swap volume
> physical id: 1
> bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0,1
> logical name: /dev/sdd1
> version: 1
> size: 980MiB
> capacity: 980MiB
> capabilities: primary multi swap initialized
> configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096
> *-volume:1
> description: EXT3 volume
> vendor: Linux
> physical id: 2
> bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0,2
> logical name: /dev/sdd2
> version: 1.0
> serial: 827118d4-d74f-4e7c-a9d1-db15c3bdaf8e
> size: 697GiB
> capacity: 697GiB
> capabilities: primary multi journaled
> extended_attributes large_files recover ext3 ext2 initialized
> configuration: created=2010-08-30 00:44:14
> filesystem=ext3 modified=2010-09-23 16:41:32 mounted=2010-09-23
> 16:41:32 state=clean
> *-volume:2
> description: Linux raid autodetect partition
> physical id: 3
> bus info: scsi@2:2.0.0,3
> logical name: /dev/sdd3
> capacity: 494MiB
> capabilities: primary multi
> *-disk:2
> description: ATA Disk
> product: WDC WD800JD-60LS
> vendor: Western Digital
> physical id: 3.0.0
> bus info: scsi@2:3.0.0
> logical name: /dev/sdf
> version: 07.0
> serial: WD-WMAM9U371833
> size: 74GiB (80GB)
> capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
> configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000d8195
> *-volume:0
> description: EXT3 volume
> vendor: Linux
> physical id: 1
> bus info: scsi@2:3.0.0,1
> logical name: /dev/sdf1
> version: 1.0
> serial: 07d3aca7-b57a-44bd-aa60-87df11deeb88
> size: 101MiB
> capacity: 101MiB
> capabilities: primary bootable journaled
> extended_attributes recover ext3 ext2 initialized
> configuration: created=2006-01-15 01:28:26
> filesystem=ext3 label=/boot modified=2010-07-28 16:44:43
> mounted=2010-07-28 16:44:43 state=clean
> *-volume:1
> description: Linux LVM Physical Volume partition
> physical id: 2
> bus info: scsi@2:3.0.0,2
> logical name: /dev/sdf2
> serial: 2EzUgh-qFBh-EzXp-LOhq-KCdG-wo4e-CUsLTP
> size: 74GiB
> capacity: 74GiB
> capabilities: primary multi lvm2
>
> The drives have been moved around since the last time I tried writing
> here.
> Hmm. Somehow the mirrored filesystem from another box got broken. I
> have both halves, and can mount both of them in degraded mode, but I
> can't put them together. Doesn't matter, once I get the data salvaged,
> I'll build a brand spanking new mirror.
>
> Anyway at the moment I am successfully copying data from one half
> the mirror to a sata drive connected to the motherboard.
>
> It appears that the only thing that doesn't work is trying to copy a whole
> filesystem or large directory to a drive on the port multiplier.
>
> Sent somebody out to buy a sata to esata adapter cable,
> so I should be able to try with a different controller later today.
>
>
> --
> Drew Einhorn
>
> "You can see a lot by just looking."
> -- Yogi Berra
I have had a similar problem with USB connected SATA drives (system
crashes or hangs when writing to more than 1 drive simultaneously, read
from one, write to another works) and decided to try moving them to an
ESATA interface. I have heard that the AHCI based controllers on the
motherboard are often the most reliable soulutions. I'm planning to
try this card which is sil3124 based. At least a handful of people have
reported success with the 3124 chipset.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT%20Optic/ESATAPCIE8/

Nataraj




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Christopher Chan
 
Default sata problems

> I have had a similar problem with USB connected SATA drives (system
> crashes or hangs when writing to more than 1 drive simultaneously, read
> from one, write to another works) and decided to try moving them to an
> ESATA interface. I have heard that the AHCI based controllers on the
> motherboard are often the most reliable soulutions. I'm planning to
> try this card which is sil3124 based. At least a handful of people have
> reported success with the 3124 chipset.
> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT%20Optic/ESATAPCIE8/

The Silicon Image 3124 appears to be one of the more stable sata chipset
available. However, even that has issues with certain multiplexers IIRC.
The Marvell 8 port sata chipset is perhaps the most stable. It was used
in the Sun Thumper. Supermicro has such a card...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org