Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Jason Zhang

Default How to disable desktop environment in Ubuntu 10.04 ?

I mean how to startup the system straight into the text mode environment,do not start gdm

I try to install sysv-rc-conf and configure it . I find gdm is already disabled, but it still go into desktop mode

Can somebody help me ?

thanks

Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 23.09.2010, 18:10 +0800 schrieb Jason Zhang:
> I mean how to startup the system straight into the text mode
> environment,do not start gdm
all you have to do is to add the word text to your default boot
commandline in /etc/default/grub
i.e. make it look like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash text"

and run sudo update-grub

ciao
oli