Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Doug

Default how to add repositories

I assume that there are files in repos other than
the "official" one that synaptic knows about.* Questions:

How do I find out if a file I want is in some other repo?

How do I get that file from that repo?* Is there an apt-get install
routine that will do it?* I guess there would have to

be a repo name or something in the command.* Would apt-get find and
install dependencies, or how would that

be handled?

--doug

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 AM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

I think this might help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

If you have more questions, let us know.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

I assume that there are files in repos other than
the "official" one that synaptic knows about.* Questions:

How do I find out if a file I want is in some other repo?

How do I get that file from that repo?* Is there an apt-get install
routine that will do it?* I guess there would have to

be a repo name or something in the command.* Would apt-get find and
install dependencies, or how would that

be handled?

--doug

[C] hicken [G] od
-=>Hi Tek, Lo Life<=-
http://planet-zero.blogspot.com

Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 23:28 -0400, Doug wrote:
> I assume that there are files in repos other than the "official" one
> that synaptic knows about. Questions:
>
> How do I find out if a file I want is in some other repo?
>
> How do I get that file from that repo? Is there an apt-get install
> routine that will do it? I guess there would have to
> be a repo name or something in the command. Would apt-get find and
> install dependencies, or how would that
> be handled?

I just google using key words: <name of desired program> ubuntu
lucid .deb

It usually finds them for me, in that fashion. If the programmer is not
keeping up, (ergo using lucid as a key word) then I don't want something
crufty installed. Ric

Linux user# 44256