Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default adding a wine program to application menu

I use a program via wine it is an exe I have to go to that folder and
right click on exe and select wine from the menu.
Is there a way I can add some shortcut or some thing in Application
menu Opening wine and the selecting program is a 2 step process that
I reduce this to only one click and open the program in wine in one step.

--
Tapas

Old 09-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

*I use a program via wine it is an exe I have to go to that folder and

right click on exe and select wine from the menu.

Is there a way I can add some shortcut or some thing in Application

menu Opening wine and the selecting program is a 2 step process that

I reduce this to only one click and open the program in wine in one step.

--

Tapas

http://jaypeeonline.net/tips-tricks/create-wine-application-shortcuts-ubuntu/
This link should serve your purpose. OR follow the process below:

You can select wine as default program to open .exe files.
Change the default "Open with" program for a file type

In Nautilus, right click on the file and choose
Properties
from the menu that appears. The Properties dialog opens.

Click on the Open With tab. A list of applications appears.

Select the default application you want for the file type. If the application is not on the list, use the Add button to add the application to the list.

After that you can create a soft link to that file using `ln -s` command to that file(.exe file).
That's from shortcut perspective.

Regards,

Vaibhav Dalvi
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form
habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny.
- Tyron Edwards

Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav.dlv@gmail.com> wrote:
>http://jaypeeonline.net/tips-tricks/create-wine-application-shortcuts-ubuntu/
Your link was indeed helpful but if I want to add this shortcut of
desktop in applications menu or associate some sort of command or
shortcut key for it to
work is that possible?

--
Tapas

Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav.dlv@gmail.com> wrote:

>http://jaypeeonline.net/tips-tricks/create-wine-application-shortcuts-ubuntu/

Your link was indeed helpful but if I want to add this shortcut of

desktop in applications menu or associate some sort of command or

shortcut key for it to

work is that possible?

--

Tapas

Hey,
The launcher he suggested is the desktop shortcut itself. And yes there should be keybindings available for shortcuts but right now I'm on KUbuntu. I'll try to get you exact proc when I get home at the end of this day(that's about 7-8 hrs to that).

Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav.dlv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> The launcher he suggested is the desktop shortcut itself.
I understand it is a desktop shortcut but I am looking in applications
menu to add this.
I most of the time have a lot of applications open and in that case
for me switching to desktop shortcut is very painful minimizing each
application.
> And yes there
> should be keybindings available for shortcuts but right now I'm on KUbuntu.
> I'll try to get you exact proc when I get home at the end of this day(that's
> about 7-8 hrs to that).

No problem I shall wait.

--
Tapas

Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Tim Frost

Tapas,

I have a couple of windows programs that I need to run at work on
occasion.

A windows shortcut has two key properties:
a: Directory to start in
b: The target, which is the command line to invoke.

Because each program needs to start in a specific directory, my solution
was:
1: create a shell script in my personal bin directory that mimics the
windows shortcut:
a: switch to the correct directory to start in
b: invoke wine with the required parameters to run the application

2: create a launcher on the panel that starts the shell script.

There are a couple of traps with the shell script:
- use UNIX path separators and escape characters in the cd command at
step (a):
cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/App Name/lib
or
cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/"App Name"/lib

- the wine command line (b) uses DOS path separators:
wine "C:Program FilesApp Nameapp.exe" param1 ...

The above example assumes the default wine location for its C: drive,
and also assumes that the program is installed under the default
DOS/Windows directory "C:Program Files". The script needs to be
adjusted to match the actual paths if that assumption is incorrect.

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 10:45 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Vaibhav Dalvi <vaibhav.dlv@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> > The launcher he suggested is the desktop shortcut itself.
> I understand it is a desktop shortcut but I am looking in applications
> menu to add this.

If you invoke the menu editor (System->Preferences->Main Menu), you can
add a new item, of type application, to run the shell script that I
describe above.

> I most of the time have a lot of applications open and in that case
> for me switching to desktop shortcut is very painful minimizing each
> application.
> > And yes there
> > should be keybindings available for shortcuts but right now I'm on KUbuntu.

The Gnome menu editor doesn't appear to allow you to set key bindings at
all, unless it recognises a flag character such as "_" before the
character that you want to be the shortcut key.

> > I'll try to get you exact proc when I get home at the end of this day(that's
> > about 7-8 hrs to that).
> >
> No problem I shall wait.
>

> --
> Tapas

Hope this helps

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz>

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> If you invoke the menu editor (System->Preferences->Main Menu), you can
> add a new item, of type application, to run the shell script that I
> describe above.
Thanks this is what I was looking for.
> Hope this helps
Yes it did
--
Tapas

Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Vaibhav Dalvi

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> If you invoke the menu editor (System->Preferences->Main Menu), you can

> add a new item, of type application, to run the shell script that I

> describe above.

Thanks this is what I was looking for.

> Hope this helps

Yes it did