Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Tom H

Default debian_version=sqeeze/sid in Ubuntu 10.04.1?

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com> wrote:
> More specifically, the majority of Ubuntu is built from Debian Sid with Ubuntu patching as needed to make it Ubuntu.

AFAIK, it is based on testing (at the moment Squeeze) and not unstable/sid.

Although kernel-wise, Ubuntu's gone beyond both.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Steven Susbauer

Syncs and merges are done from unstable. It's mentioned, among other places, at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth#What%20about%20binary%20compatibi lity%20between%20distributions?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Alan Pope

On 23 September 2010 02:15, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com> wrote:
>> More specifically, the majority of Ubuntu is built from Debian Sid with Ubuntu patching as needed to make it Ubuntu.
>
> AFAIK, it is based on testing (at the moment Squeeze) and not unstable/sid.

Depends. Previously we're based on Sid/Unstable, but for 10.04 LTS we
rebased on Debian Testing.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com> wrote:
> Syncs and merges are done from unstable. It's mentioned, among other places, at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth#What%20about%20binary%20compatibi lity%20between%20distributions?

Thanks. My bad. I had hears/read otherwise.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 23 September 2010 02:15, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Steven Susbauer <steven@too1337.com> wrote:
>>> More specifically, the majority of Ubuntu is built from Debian Sid with Ubuntu patching as needed to make it Ubuntu.
>>
>> AFAIK, it is based on testing (at the moment Squeeze) and not unstable/sid.
>
> Depends. Previously we're based on Sid/Unstable, but for 10.04 LTS we
> rebased on Debian Testing.

That explains why I had seen that Ubuntu was based on Testing - and
even that there had been a proposal to sync the release of Lucid and
Squeeze.