Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Colin Law

Default Dual head problem on Maverick Beta

Is anyone else seeing a problem with dual monitors on Maverick Beta?
If I set non-mirrored mode so the desktop extends across the two
monitors and the total width of the two displays is greater than 2048
(or thereabouts) then only a portion of the second display is used
(getting clamped to 2048 I think) and on logout/in it gets very
confused. I have submitted a bug [1]. It would be interesting to
know if anyone else has tried this and if so whether they can confirm
that it either works for them or does not. It seems rather late in
the day for such a serious bug, unless it is specific to something on
my system.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/644359

Colin

Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Alan Pope

On 22 September 2010 11:39, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing a problem with dual monitors on Maverick Beta?
> If I set non-mirrored mode so the desktop extends across the two
> monitors and the total width of the two displays is greater than 2048
> (or thereabouts) then only a portion of the second display is used
> (getting clamped to 2048 I think) and on logout/in it gets very
> confused. *I have submitted a bug [1]. *It would be interesting to
> know if anyone else has tried this and if so whether they can confirm
> that it either works for them or does not. *It seems rather late in
> the day for such a serious bug, unless it is specific to something on
> my system.

Looks similar to https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/619663 which I filed
a while ago. I would try the xorg-edgers PPA and see if that fixes it.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Colin Law

On 22 September 2010 12:11, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2010 11:39, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone else seeing a problem with dual monitors on Maverick Beta?
>> If I set non-mirrored mode so the desktop extends across the two
>> monitors and the total width of the two displays is greater than 2048
>> (or thereabouts) then only a portion of the second display is used
>> (getting clamped to 2048 I think) and on logout/in it gets very
>> confused. *I have submitted a bug [1]. *It would be interesting to
>> know if anyone else has tried this and if so whether they can confirm
>> that it either works for them or does not. *It seems rather late in
>> the day for such a serious bug, unless it is specific to something on
>> my system.
>>

> Looks similar to https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/619663 which I filed
> a while ago. I would try the xorg-edgers PPA and see if that fixes it.

Obviously my launchpad searching technique is not up to scratch, I am
sure it is the same problem. I will give the ppa a go.

Thanks

Colin

Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Colin Law

On 22 September 2010 12:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2010 12:11, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>> On 22 September 2010 11:39, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Is anyone else seeing a problem with dual monitors on Maverick Beta?
>>> If I set non-mirrored mode so the desktop extends across the two
>>> monitors and the total width of the two displays is greater than 2048
>>> (or thereabouts) then only a portion of the second display is used
>>> (getting clamped to 2048 I think) and on logout/in it gets very
>>> confused. *I have submitted a bug [1]. *It would be interesting to
>>> know if anyone else has tried this and if so whether they can confirm
>>> that it either works for them or does not. *It seems rather late in
>>> the day for such a serious bug, unless it is specific to something on
>>> my system.
>>>

>> Looks similar to https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/619663 which I filed
>> a while ago. I would try the xorg-edgers PPA and see if that fixes it.
>
> Obviously my launchpad searching technique is not up to scratch, I am
> sure it is the same problem. *I will give the ppa a go.

The updates from the ppa fixed it, I will update the bug. Surely
Maverick will not release with this unfixed.

Thanks Alan

Colin

Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Alan Pope

On 22 September 2010 13:49, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The updates from the ppa fixed it, I will update the bug. *Surely
> Maverick will not release with this unfixed.

You'd like to hope not.

Cheers,
Al.