FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Johnneylee Rollins
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

I hate the HTML emails with multiple stupid little icons.
~SpaceGhost

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com> wrote:


On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com> wrote:



*cue Jaws theme*



On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Christopher Chan

<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> So how many chums here are trying out Ubuntu because Centos/RHEL 5 is

> getting a bit old?

>

> How many of you would actually entrust your hardware to Ubuntu instead

> of Centos/RHEL 5?

>

> How many of you would rather install Fedora than Ubuntu and why?

>



I can already see the Trolls circling (you know who you are). *They

want to bite, I know they do, they can't resist. *Where's Steve Irwin

when we need him!?



Crickey!



LOL



--

Michael "TheZorch" Haney

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

of morality by religion." ~ Arthur C. Clarke

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and

politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there is no place

for it in the endeavor of science. " ~ Carl Sagan



Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1

To Contact Me:

http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts



Free Your PC from the Bondage of Windows http://www.ubuntu.com



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



M."Z."H.--
Ha! *That's funny!*



I don't know if this will inspire any epic flame wars*, but I decided to use openSUSE on some old (I'm talking Pentium III's -- with 384MB RAM!*) Compaqs that I'm "supporting".***I ended up deciding that GNOME was too much for the systems and instead instituted a different desktop (IceWM? *I've forgotten; it's been so long since I've worked on the machines in question!**). *So: *Will this make my reputation (such as it is) =?



--N.B.*
--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.



See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html & http://www.openoffice.org (Nathan Bahn)





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 12:53 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:56 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 10:12 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> >> So how many chums here are trying out Ubuntu because Centos/RHEL 5 is
> >> getting a bit old?
> >>
> >> How many of you would actually entrust your hardware to Ubuntu instead
> >> of Centos/RHEL 5?
> >>
> >> How many of you would rather install Fedora than Ubuntu and why?
> >
> > Heh, you got guts Chris. Ric
> >
> >
>
> I need them to be able run servers on OpenSolaris you know. Have you
> ever tried the OpenSolaris irc channel?

I'm not adverse to being tied up, but I do shun pain. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:52:15 +0800
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> Ha! I used to use IceWM for exactly the same reason. Or was it
> WindowMaker? Even compiled XFCE from scratch a long time ago before
> it got Xubuntu and packaged for Fedora/Centos
>
> So much for server talk.

Server talk? You have GUI servers? Do you install screensavers on
them? ;-]

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Alan Pope
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On 22 September 2010 14:12, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Server talk? *You have GUI servers? *Do you install screensavers on
> them? * ;-]
>

My co-workers spark up VNC servers on the servers here, then VNC in
and use multiple xterms to leave stuff running overnight.
Understandable to a small degree with stuff like Oracle graphical
installers, but they use it for stuff like leaving a long running
script too. I've tried to educate them about GNU screen, to no avail


The boxes mostly have 12 CPUs and 128GB RAM, so resources aren't an
issue, it just feels wrong

Cheers,
Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Michael Haney
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> The boxes mostly have 12 CPUs and 128GB RAM, so resources aren't an
> issue, it just feels wrong
>

HOLY CRAP! What make & model servers are these?!

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking
of morality by religion." ~ Arthur C. Clarke
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and
politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there is no place
for it in the endeavor of science. " ~ Carl Sagan

Visit My Site:* http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts

Free Your PC from the Bondage of Windows http://www.ubuntu.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Alan Pope
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On 22 September 2010 14:36, Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
>> The boxes mostly have 12 CPUs and 128GB RAM, so resources aren't an
>> issue, it just feels wrong
>>
>
> HOLY CRAP! *What make & model servers are these?!
>

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/servers/x86/030275.htm

Cheers,
Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 09:36 -0400, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > The boxes mostly have 12 CPUs and 128GB RAM, so resources aren't an
> > issue, it just feels wrong
> >
>
> HOLY CRAP! What make & model servers are these?!

Yeah, and have things cooled off to the point that I can rob the same
bank?? Ric

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Christopher Chan
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> I hate the HTML emails with multiple stupid little icons.

Pot calling kettle black. Your post used html too!

/me snaps fingers for spotlights to shine on himself.

Now my post IS html free. :-p

>
> ~SpaceGhost
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn@gmail.com
> <mailto:nathan.bahn@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch@gmail.com
> <mailto:thezorch@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> *cue Jaws theme*
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
> > So how many chums here are trying out Ubuntu because
> Centos/RHEL 5 is
> > getting a bit old?
> >
> > How many of you would actually entrust your hardware to
> Ubuntu instead
> > of Centos/RHEL 5?
> >
> > How many of you would rather install Fedora than Ubuntu and why?
> >
>
> I can already see the Trolls circling (you know who you are). They
> want to bite, I know they do, they can't resist. Where's Steve
> Irwin
> when we need him!?
>
> Crickey!
>
> LOL
>
> --
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney
> "The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
> hijacking
> of morality by religion." ~ Arthur C. Clarke
> "The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in
> religion and
> politics, but it is not the path to knowledge, and there is no place
> for it in the endeavor of science. " ~ Carl Sagan
>
> Visit My Site: http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
> To Contact Me:
> http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts
>
> Free Your PC from the Bondage of Windows http://www.ubuntu.com
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
>
>
> M."Z."H.--
>
> Ha! That's funny!
>
> I don't know if this will inspire any epic flame wars , but I
> decided to use openSUSE on some old (I'm talking Pentium III's --
> with 384MB RAM! ) Compaqs that I'm "supporting". I ended up
> deciding that GNOME was too much for the systems and instead
> instituted a different desktop (IceWM? I've forgotten; it's been so
> long since I've worked on the machines in question! ). So: Will
> this make my reputation (such as it is) =?
>
> --N.B.
> --
> Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html &
> http://www.openoffice.org (Nathan Bahn)
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> > I hate the HTML emails with multiple stupid little icons.
>
> Pot calling kettle black. Your post used html too!

And the "stupid little icons" as well.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Colin Law
 
Default OT and Flamebait for some: Cross overs

On 25 September 2010 13:18, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> I hate the HTML emails with multiple stupid little icons.
>
> Pot calling kettle black. Your post used html too!

@Johnneylee: your wit is just too subtle.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org