Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default Locked Panel - Ubuntu Netbook Release

Hi All,
I am trying to add applets to my top panel in Ubuntu Netbook Release, but I cannot get the panel menu (i.e.: Add to panel). The items that came with it are locked (the Move item is grayed out).

How do I unlock it?
Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Colin Law

On 22 September 2010 07:17, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am trying to add applets to my top panel in Ubuntu Netbook Release, but I
> cannot get the panel menu (i.e.: Add to panel).

What do you mean you cannot get the panel menu? What happens if you
right click in a blank section of the panel?

> The items that came with it
> are locked (the Move item is grayed out).
> How do I unlock it?

Right click the item and click Lock To Panel (assuming that is
currently checked). That will clear the check and unlock it.

Colin

Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Amichai Rotman

Apparently I did not make myself clear - Both the "Move" and "Remove from Panel" items of all the applets on the panel are gray - inactive.
The only ones I can choose are the*Preferences*and About....

Please help!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

.:================================================ ====:.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Apparently I did not make myself clear - Both the "Move" and "Remove from
> Panel" items of all the applets on the panel are gray - inactive.
> The only ones I can choose are the*Preferences*and About....
> Please help!

<snip>
Hey, it's because on the Netbook edition, you aren't allowed to at
all. It's not a bug or anything, it's another unwanted feature.
http://maketecheasier.com/unlock-gnome-panel-in-ubuntu-netbook-edition-une/2010/04/25
http://maketecheasier.com/13-ways-to-customize-ubuntu-netbook-remix-for-better-usability/2010/02/07

Might help a bit. Also, bottom post please?

~SpaceGhost

Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Colin Law

On 22 September 2010 17:09, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Apparently I did not make myself clear - Both the "Move" and "Remove from
> Panel" items of all the applets on the panel are gray - inactive.
> The only ones I can choose are the*Preferences*and About....
> Please help!

Please don't top post as it makes it difficult to follow the thread
and also makes it easy for you to miss bits of the previous post. For
example you appear to have missed my suggestion to click Lock To Panel
to uncheck it (if checked). Or is that greyed also?

Colin

Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Amichai Rotman

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 18:40, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 22 September 2010 17:09, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Apparently I did not make myself clear - Both the "Move" and "Remove from

> Panel" items of all the applets on the panel are gray - inactive.

> The only ones I can choose are the*Preferences*and About....

> Please help!

Please don't top post as it makes it difficult to follow the thread

and also makes it easy for you to miss bits of the previous post. *For

example you appear to have missed my suggestion to click Lock To Panel

to uncheck it (if checked). *Or is that greyed also?

Colin

Colin,
I *did *no miss your suggestion - as i said:
All items on the menu are gray except for the Preferences and About items.

It appears as if I don't have *permissions. Where are the config files for the panel and applets?
Amichai.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Alin-Andrei

That's like this on purpose. There is however a way around it:�http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-add-remove-applets-from-gnome.html

Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
NoOp

On 09/22/2010 10:17 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Colin,
>
> I did no miss your suggestion - as i said:
>
> All items on the menu are gray except for the Preferences and About items.
>
> It appears as if I don't have permissions. Where are the config files for
> the panel and applets?
>
> Amichai.

It appears that your panels are 'locked down'. You can check by opening
the gconfig editor:

$ gksu gconf-editor

now go to /apps/panel/global/locked_down and see if it is checked. If it
is un-check it.

Now restart the panel:

$ killall gnome-panel

Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Amichai Rotman

Seems to work - but I don't like this solution. Is there a way I can edit a config file to disable the lock in the normal Netbook session?

Thanks!
Amichai.*