Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Christopher Chan

Default Install failed - solved, and got ext3

> CRW> and I do believe you need a /boot partition.
>
> Isn't /boot normally set up under /? I did have a / partition in the
> pre-format , so couldn't /boot could be set up under that?

You don't need a /boot partition in your case.

> CRW> Or forget the EXT3 and just go for the LVM which is, I believe,
> CRW> the default these days.
>
> Install docs seem to say ext4 is the default, which I verified. Also,
> how would I mount an LVM partition using Mandriva 2008, which does not
> even know about ext4? May not have the compatibility I need.

You should have no problems loading a LVM logical volume in Mandriva
2008 as it will come with lvm support already.

> Also, a quick Google gave me a separate procedure needed for
> installing LVM in Ububtu. And, a note that LVM *does* require a
> separate non-LVM /boot partition.

Nope. Not necessary anymore with Lucid which comes with grub2. However,
you must tell it to include the lvm module which I assume the Ubuntu
installer will do. A separate non-LVM /boot partition is needed when you
use grub as your boot loader.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:19:08 -0700
rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

> To review a bit - I want to be able to mount the Ubuntu partitions
> with Mandriva 2008, which does not know about ext4.

The partitioner included with the installer will certainly do EXT3.
If /boot isn't needed (really?) then your plan looks good as long as you
do format that swap partition as linux-swap.

I'd still do it all with the included partitioner. It works well.
Look around in it before committing to any changes.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 AM
rikona

Hello Christopher,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 7:26:51 PM, Christopher wrote:

>> CRW> and I do believe you need a /boot partition.
>>
>> Isn't /boot normally set up under /? I did have a / partition in the
>> pre-format , so couldn't /boot could be set up under that?

CC> You don't need a /boot partition in your case.

>> CRW> Or forget the EXT3 and just go for the LVM which is, I believe,
>> CRW> the default these days.
>>
>> Install docs seem to say ext4 is the default, which I verified. Also,
>> how would I mount an LVM partition using Mandriva 2008, which does not
>> even know about ext4? May not have the compatibility I need.

CC> You should have no problems loading a LVM logical volume in Mandriva
CC> 2008 as it will come with lvm support already.

>> Also, a quick Google gave me a separate procedure needed for
>> installing LVM in Ububtu. And, a note that LVM *does* require a
>> separate non-LVM /boot partition.

CC> Nope. Not necessary anymore with Lucid which comes with grub2. However,
CC> you must tell it to include the lvm module which I assume the Ubuntu
CC> installer will do. A separate non-LVM /boot partition is needed when you
CC> use grub as your boot loader.

Ahhh... I see... I guess I thought LVM was newer than it actually is.
I won't worry next time, but ext3 seems to be working OK, so I'll
keep that until 'next time'. :-)

Thanks much for the help!

--

rikona

Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 AM
rikona

Hello Cybe,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 7:41:16 PM, Cybe wrote:

CRW> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:19:08 -0700
CRW> rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

>> To review a bit - I want to be able to mount the Ubuntu partitions
>> with Mandriva 2008, which does not know about ext4.

CRW> The partitioner included with the installer will certainly do
CRW> EXT3. If /boot isn't needed (really?) then your plan looks good
CRW> as long as you do format that swap partition as linux-swap.

I did, and it does work with the pre-formatted disk. I used the same
formats as the auto install - just / and swap. I wanted to try the
simplest thing to get it working.

CRW> I'd still do it all with the included partitioner. It works well.
CRW> Look around in it before committing to any changes.

Been through it a few times now... even looking familiar now... :-)

Thanks for the help!

--

rikona