Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Scott Berry

Default setting up public share with the public share under Preferences/Public Share

What packages do I need to install for the public share to work on a network?* Also can I put a link for an external drive in that folder?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 09/21/2010 03:22 PM, Scott Berry wrote:
> > What packages do I need to install for the public share to work on a
> > network? *Also can I put a link for an external drive in that folder?
> >

> You should not need to install packages (at least not explicitly).

[snip]

It doesn't seem so,

Please check bug:

"Personal file sharing preferences dialog does not offer to install
needed packages"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-user-share/+bug/536766

It looks like the following suggested libraries are in fact essential:

apache2.2-bin
libapache2-mod-dnssd

(Dismissal: since I use Samba and SSH, never tried this resource.)

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 AM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 08:53 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> On 09/21/2010 03:22 PM, Scott Berry wrote:
>> > What packages do I need to install for the public share to work on a
>> > network? Also can I put a link for an external drive in that folder?
>> >

>> You should not need to install packages (at least not explicitly).
>
> [snip]
>
> It doesn't seem so,
>
> Please check bug:
>
> "Personal file sharing preferences dialog does not offer to install
> needed packages"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-user-share/+bug/536766
>
> It looks like the following suggested libraries are in fact essential:
>
> apache2.2-bin
> libapache2-mod-dnssd
>
> (Dismissal: since I use Samba and SSH, never tried this resource.)

Nope:

$ apt-cache policy apache2.2-bin
apache2.2-bin:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2
Version table:
2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed/main
Packages
2.2.14-5ubuntu8 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

$ apt-cache policy libapache2-mod-dnssd
libapache2-mod-dnssd:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.6-2
Version table:
0.6-2 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages

$ apt-cache policy samba
samba:
Installed: 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2
Candidate: 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2
Version table:
*** 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 08:53 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

>>> You should not need to install packages (at least not explicitly).
>>

>> It doesn't seem so,
>>

> Nope:
>
> $ apt-cache policy apache2.2-bin
> apache2.2-bin:
> *Installed: (none)
> *Candidate: 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2
> *Version table:
> * * 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed/main
> Packages
> * * 2.2.14-5ubuntu8 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
>
> $ apt-cache policy libapache2-mod-dnssd
> libapache2-mod-dnssd:
> *Installed: (none)
> *Candidate: 0.6-2
> *Version table:
> * * 0.6-2 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages
>
> $ apt-cache policy samba
> samba:
> *Installed: 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2
> *Candidate: 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2
> *Version table:
> **** 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
> * * * *500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
> * * * *100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> * * 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main

NoOp,

Exactly the same here, but still everything (but Bluetooth) shaded
when trying to enable Personal File Sharing. Reinstalled
gnome-user-share, log-out and in, to no avail. There's something
missing on my brand new 10.04.1 AMD64 install. So says the message:
"This feature cannot be enabled because the required packages are not
installed on your system", but then, what exactly is missing if not
Apache? (A reboot like Rikona suggested?)

Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 AM
rikona

Hello Patton,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 7:26:39 PM, Patton wrote:

PE> On 09/21/2010 03:22 PM, Scott Berry wrote:
>> What packages do I need to install for the public share to work on a
>> network? Also can I put a link for an external drive in that folder?
>>

PE> You should not need to install packages (at least not explicitly).
PE> Under nautilus, right click on the folder you want to share,
PE> select sharing options and check the boxes that seem logical to
PE> you for your situation. I'm not sure about the linked folder.
PE> Should be easy enough to test if you don't get an answer.

PE> Write back if you have problems - something does not work.

Just saw this. I was just starting to think about the
sometimes-arduous task of setting up samba [Ubuntu will eventually
replace my Mandriva2008, which was the master browser for a mixed
win/lin LAN], and this seemed so much simpler I thought I'd try it.
But - I still can't see the 'shared' folder from either a Win box or
another linux system. So, I guess it's in the "doesn't work" category.
Does this need a reboot to work, perhaps?

--

rikona

Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 AM
rikona

Hello Lucio,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 9:56:34 PM, Lucio wrote:

LMN> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> It doesn't seem so,
>>>

>> Nope:
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy apache2.2-bin
>> apache2.2-bin:
>> *Installed: (none)
>> *Candidate: 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2
>> *Version table:
>> * * 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2 0
>> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed/main
>> Packages
>> * * 2.2.14-5ubuntu8 0
>> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy libapache2-mod-dnssd
>> libapache2-mod-dnssd:
>> *Installed: (none)
>> *Candidate: 0.6-2
>> *Version table:
>> * * 0.6-2 0
>> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy samba
>> samba:
>> *Installed: 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2
>> *Candidate: 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2
>> *Version table:
>> **** 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.2 0
>> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
>> * * * *500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
>> * * * *100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> * * 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3 0
>> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main

LMN> NoOp,

LMN> Exactly the same here, but still everything (but Bluetooth) shaded
LMN> when trying to enable Personal File Sharing. Reinstalled
LMN> gnome-user-share, log-out and in, to no avail. There's something
LMN> missing on my brand new 10.04.1 AMD64 install. So says the message:
LMN> "This feature cannot be enabled because the required packages are not
LMN> installed on your system", but then, what exactly is missing if not
LMN> Apache? (A reboot like Rikona suggested?)

Tried a reboot - didn't help.

--

rikona

Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 09:57 PM, rikona wrote:
> Hello Patton,
>
> Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 7:26:39 PM, Patton wrote:
>
> PE> On 09/21/2010 03:22 PM, Scott Berry wrote:
>>> What packages do I need to install for the public share to work on a
>>> network? Also can I put a link for an external drive in that folder?
>>>

> PE> You should not need to install packages (at least not explicitly).
> PE> Under nautilus, right click on the folder you want to share,
> PE> select sharing options and check the boxes that seem logical to
> PE> you for your situation. I'm not sure about the linked folder.
> PE> Should be easy enough to test if you don't get an answer.
>
> PE> Write back if you have problems - something does not work.
>
> Just saw this. I was just starting to think about the
> sometimes-arduous task of setting up samba [Ubuntu will eventually
> replace my Mandriva2008, which was the master browser for a mixed
> win/lin LAN], and this seemed so much simpler I thought I'd try it.
> But - I still can't see the 'shared' folder from either a Win box or
> another linux system. So, I guess it's in the "doesn't work" category.
> Does this need a reboot to work, perhaps?

Try:

$ sudo service smbd restart
$ sudo service nmbd restart

See the recent "Problem defining the Samba workgroup" tread.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 AM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 03:22 PM, Scott Berry wrote:
> What packages do I need to install for the public share to work on a
> network? Also can I put a link for an external drive in that folder?

Scott, did you get your question(s) answered, or do you still need help?
The thread went a bit off track & just want to ensure that you got what
you needed.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Scott Berry

Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 AM
rikona

Hello NoOp,

Wednesday, September 22, 2010, 9:32:34 AM, NoOp wrote:

N> On 09/21/2010 09:57 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Hello Patton,
>>
>> Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 7:26:39 PM, Patton wrote:

>> PE> You should not need to install packages (at least not explicitly).
>> PE> Under nautilus, right click on the folder you want to share,
>> PE> select sharing options and check the boxes that seem logical to
>> PE> you for your situation. I'm not sure about the linked folder.
>> PE> Should be easy enough to test if you don't get an answer.
>>
>> PE> Write back if you have problems - something does not work.
>>
>> Just saw this. I was just starting to think about the
>> sometimes-arduous task of setting up samba [Ubuntu will eventually
>> replace my Mandriva2008, which was the master browser for a mixed
>> win/lin LAN], and this seemed so much simpler I thought I'd try it.
>> But - I still can't see the 'shared' folder from either a Win box or
>> another linux system. So, I guess it's in the "doesn't work" category.
>> Does this need a reboot to work, perhaps?
>>

N> Try:

N> $ sudo service smbd restart
N> $ sudo service nmbd restart

N> See the recent "Problem defining the Samba workgroup" tread.

Sorry for the belated reply. This one didn't get marked for reply, and
almost got lost on this busy list. I did try that, and a bunch of
other stuff too, and finally got it working [mostly]. Right now I'm
close to getting the 2nd UB box to work on the net. [in another
thread]

Thanks very much for the reply and the help!

--

rikona