Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Peter Smith

Default Avoid HAL on Ubuntu 10.04?

I am configuring a minimal Ubuntu 10.04 desktop system with the
"Install a command-line-system" option on the Alternate CD as base.
The first package installed is gnome-core and this package do not pull
HAL as a dependency neither does any of the other packages that i
install, but the following error messages are shown in
xsession-errors:

** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: Either HAL or DBUS are not working!
** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: proxy failed
** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: failed to get Computer root object
** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: proxy NULL!!

The gnome-power-manager package suggests HAL but do not depend on it,
so i do not know how important the warning is.

Is it okay to NOT install HAL on Ubuntu 10.04?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 03:39 AM, Peter Smith wrote:
> I am configuring a minimal Ubuntu 10.04 desktop system with the
> "Install a command-line-system" option on the Alternate CD as base.
> The first package installed is gnome-core and this package do not pull
> HAL as a dependency neither does any of the other packages that i
> install, but the following error messages are shown in
> xsession-errors:
>
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: Either HAL or DBUS are not working!
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: proxy failed
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: failed to get Computer root object
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: proxy NULL!!
>
> The gnome-power-manager package suggests HAL but do not depend on it,
> so i do not know how important the warning is.
>
> Is it okay to NOT install HAL on Ubuntu 10.04?

Is dbus installed?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:28 AM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 12:39 PM, Peter Smith wrote:
> I am configuring a minimal Ubuntu 10.04 desktop system with the
> "Install a command-line-system" option on the Alternate CD as base.
> The first package installed is gnome-core and this package do not pull
> HAL as a dependency neither does any of the other packages that i
> install, but the following error messages are shown in
> xsession-errors:
>
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: Either HAL or DBUS are not working!
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: proxy failed
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: failed to get Computer root object
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1027): WARNING **: proxy NULL!!
>
> The gnome-power-manager package suggests HAL but do not depend on it,
> so i do not know how important the warning is.
>
> Is it okay to NOT install HAL on Ubuntu 10.04?

Hal was removed from the startup process in Lucid:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview
but is still used for other applications. I can't recall the command to
check for existing applications that depend on hal, but I'd recommend
you keep it.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal
http://projects.gnome.org/gnome-power-manager/hal.html
http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/FAQ

What you see are 'Warnings' from gnome-power-manager:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager

I've yet to figure out the source/meanings of the warnings (I get them
as well on all of my machines) & have even purged and reinstalled
gnome-power-manager in attempt to resolve the problem. However, they are
'Warnings', so ignore (or attempt to debug) them.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager

Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Peter Smith

Yes, dbus is installed as gnome-core depends on it.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Peter Smith

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hal was removed from the startup process in Lucid:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview
> but is still used for other applications. I can't recall the command to
> check for existing applications that depend on hal, but I'd recommend
> you keep it.
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal
> http://projects.gnome.org/gnome-power-manager/hal.html
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/FAQ
>
> What you see are 'Warnings' from gnome-power-manager:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager
>
> I've yet to figure out the source/meanings of the warnings (I get them
> as well on all of my machines) & have even purged and reinstalled
> gnome-power-manager in attempt to resolve the problem. However, they are
> 'Warnings', so ignore (or attempt to debug) them.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager

Maybe you are thinking of the "apt-cache rdepends" command.

Do you get the precise same warnings as me? I have also tried to
install HAL on the test system, that removed the warning some time,
but then suddenly it was back even though HAL still was installed.

I haven't found the last link before, i would try to read through that page now.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
NoOp

On 09/22/2010 06:44 AM, Peter Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hal was removed from the startup process in Lucid:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview
>> but is still used for other applications. I can't recall the command to
>> check for existing applications that depend on hal, but I'd recommend
>> you keep it.
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal
>> http://projects.gnome.org/gnome-power-manager/hal.html
>> http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/FAQ
>>
>> What you see are 'Warnings' from gnome-power-manager:
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager
>>
>> I've yet to figure out the source/meanings of the warnings (I get them
>> as well on all of my machines) & have even purged and reinstalled
>> gnome-power-manager in attempt to resolve the problem. However, they are
>> 'Warnings', so ignore (or attempt to debug) them.
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager
>
> Maybe you are thinking of the "apt-cache rdepends" command.

Thats it thanks.

> Do you get the precise same warnings as me?

Yes:

** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: Either HAL or DBUS are not
working!

** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: proxy failed

** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: failed to get Computer root
object

** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: proxy NULL!!

I also get this:
(gnome-power-manager:1489): GLib-GObject-WARNING **:
/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.1/gobject/gsignal.c:2273: signal
`proxy-status' is invalid for instance `0x8dad8f0'

But was told by Chris Coulsen that "it's only a warning"
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/614248/>
(comments 13 & 14).

> I have also tried to
> install HAL on the test system, that removed the warning some time,
> but then suddenly it was back even though HAL still was installed.

$ apt-cache policy hal
hal:
Installed: 0.5.14-0ubuntu6
Candidate: 0.5.14-0ubuntu6
Version table:
*** 0.5.14-0ubuntu6 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
0.5.14-0ubuntu5 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Peter Smith

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Maybe you are thinking of the "apt-cache rdepends" command.
>
> Thats it thanks.
>

>> Do you get the precise same warnings as me?
>
> Yes:
>
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: Either HAL or DBUS are not
> working!
>
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: proxy failed
>
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: failed to get Computer root
> object
>
> ** (gnome-power-manager:1489): WARNING **: proxy NULL!!
>
> I also get this:
> (gnome-power-manager:1489): GLib-GObject-WARNING **:
> /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.1/gobject/gsignal.c:2273: signal
> `proxy-status' is invalid for instance `0x8dad8f0'
>
> But was told by Chris Coulsen that "it's only a warning"
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/614248/>
> (comments 13 & 14).
>
>> I have also tried to
>> install HAL on the test system, that removed the warning some time,
>> but then suddenly it was back even though HAL still was installed.
>
> $ apt-cache policy hal
> hal:
> *Installed: 0.5.14-0ubuntu6
> *Candidate: 0.5.14-0ubuntu6
> *Version table:
> **** 0.5.14-0ubuntu6 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
> * * * *100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> * * 0.5.14-0ubuntu5 0
> * * * *500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
>

>> I haven't found the last link before, i would try to read through that page now.

After doing some more research i decided to NOT install HAL, as i do
not want "a large monolithic unmaintainable mess" on my system =)

HAL has been removed fully from the boot process in Ubuntu 10.04
according to this link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview

The following link also explains that HAL is no longer involved in
device configuration with 10.04:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input#Input%20Configuration%20with%20udev%20%28Ubu ntu%2010.04%29

According to your link about debugging Gnome Power Manager, HAL has
been deprecated since Ubuntu 9.10

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingGNOMEPowerManager#Debugging%20procedure

It seems that pitivi still depends on HAL, this might be the reason
why HAL is still installed default on 10.04:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy

I have tried to download the latest Gnome Power Manager source and
compile it to a deb that i installed on the system, after doing that
the "Either HAL or DBUS are not
working!" and the "proxy-status is invalid for instance" warning
disappeared from the xsession-errors file, but i don't want to
manually update packages on my system so i just stick with the version
from the repository and ignore the warnings in xsession-errors.