Old 11-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Steven Martin

Default USB Audio Problems

All,

I am really close to turning Ubuntu into an operating
system that does everything that I need...except for
one really important thing. I frequently stream audio
over the internet. I have two different applications
that both work RealPlayer and MPlayer, however neither
of them pick up my USB port that I connect to my
amplifier. When I test my speakers trough SYSTEM ->
Preferences -> Sound, Ubuntu plays test sounds to my
amplifier just fine. But not any of the applications
that I will make my USB connection useful!!!
Urggggghhhhhh.

Help please.

Steve

Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 AM
"Gérard BIGOT"

I am really close to turning Ubuntu into an operating
system that does everything that I need...except for
one really important thing. *I frequently stream audio
over the internet. *I have two different applications

that both work RealPlayer and MPlayer, however neither
of them pick up my USB port that I connect to my
amplifier. *When I test my speakers trough SYSTEM ->
Preferences -> Sound, Ubuntu plays test sounds to my

amplifier just fine. *But not any of the applications
that I will make my USB connection useful!!!
Urggggghhhhhh.

Help please.
The question to be asked is : what sound server do you use?

Because, I recommand pulseaudio (the default sound server for lots of other distros). And in it's latest version, they did a screencast with just that, an on-the-fly (after-the-fact) add of an usb* sound device plugged in, to which it's possible to transfer already playing stream ....

I found it amazing ...

the screencast : http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-097.html
the website : www.pulseaudio.org

G.