Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Scott Berry

Default getting the proper port number for a printer on aWindows machine to use as a network printer

I am wondering if anyone here can tell me how to find the port number for a networked printer on a Windows machine.* I need this so I can make a connection to the Windows Vista machine with the printer on it.* I am going through system/Administrator/Print and then click on Server then New and then finding Windows van Samba and checking there.* Thanks so much for your help.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 08:47 AM, Scott Berry wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone here can tell me how to find the port number
> for a networked printer on a Windows machine. I need this so I can make
> a connection to the Windows Vista machine with the printer on it. I am
> going through system/Administrator/Print and then click on Server then
> New and then finding Windows van Samba and checking there. Thanks so
> much for your help.

$ findsmb
[http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/findsmb.1.html]
Will provide the IP address, Netbios name, workgroup/os/version.
That is all that you should need in most cases.

The default ports are 139 (used for SMB over NetBIOS over TCP) and
port 445 (used for plain SMB over TCP). If you are using IPP then the
port should be 631.