Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

Default Lost menus

While fiddling around with Compiz on Lucid Lynx, I was thinking of resetting the settings by uninstalling it via synaptic. I rebooted the system and silly me lost the menus. Is there anyway I could get it back without downloading the packages from the internet?

--
[C] hicken [G] od
-=>Hi Tek, Lo Life<=-

Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Basil Chupin

On 21/09/2010 18:41, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> While fiddling around with Compiz on Lucid Lynx, I was thinking of
> resetting the settings by uninstalling it via synaptic. I rebooted the
> system and silly me lost the menus.

So, you uninstalled Compiz, "via synaptic", and you "lost the menus" -
and you are wondering how to get those menus back, eh?

Let's start with the first principles: which menus are you exactly
talking about?

> Is there anyway I could get it back without downloading the packages
> from the internet?

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

The menus on both the top and the bottom. Thanks for replying, I was almost ready to reinstall and start by scratch

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 21/09/2010 18:41, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:

> While fiddling around with Compiz on Lucid Lynx, I was thinking of

> resetting the settings by uninstalling it via synaptic. I rebooted the

> system and silly me lost the menus.

So, you uninstalled Compiz, "via synaptic", and you "lost the menus" -

and you are wondering how to get those menus back, eh?

Let's start with the first principles: which menus are you exactly

talking about?

> Is there anyway I could get it back without downloading the packages

> from the internet?

BC

Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Basil Chupin

On 21/09/2010 19:32, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> The menus on both the top and the bottom. Thanks for replying, I was
> almost ready to reinstall and start by scratch
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
> On 21/09/2010 18:41, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> > While fiddling around with Compiz on Lucid Lynx, I was thinking of
> > resetting the settings by uninstalling it via synaptic. I
> rebooted the
> > system and silly me lost the menus.
>
> So, you uninstalled Compiz, "via synaptic", and you "lost the menus" -
> and you are wondering how to get those menus back, eh?
>
> Let's start with the first principles: which menus are you exactly
> talking about?
>
> > Is there anyway I could get it back without downloading the packages
> > from the internet?

I think you mean "panels" - the top and bottom panels.

OK, try this:

in a terminal-

killall -l gnome-panel

then

CTRL-ALT-F1

and

rm -rf gnome gnome2 gconf gconfd

then

CTRL-ALT-F7

which should bring back the panels to their original state and you will
have to populate/adjust them to what you had in them before.

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
C de-Avillez

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:45:04 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> and
>
> rm -rf gnome gnome2 gconf gconfd

Er. I am guessing you mean '~/.(gnome|gnome2|gconf|gconfd)' (although
'~/.gnome' should not even exist on a recent enough version).

The OP should understand that a *lot* of settings you be lost, in
fact, pretty much all of Gnome. Really, this is the last option to be
taken.

> which should bring back the panels to their original state and you
> will have to populate/adjust them to what you had in them before.

One can also try running 'gnome-panel --replace &'

Cheers,

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

Basil & C,

Thanks for the responses but I opted to just start from scratch and redo everything while I still have time on my hands. Your efforts aren't for nothing though since I am just learning the system step-by-step.

I just finished the install and would like to know how to remove the applet (if I am using the right term) on the left side and just use the top portion as my main menu screen.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Basil Chupin

On 22/09/2010 00:12, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
> Basil & C,
>
> Thanks for the responses but I opted to just start from scratch and
> redo everything while I still have time on my hands. Your efforts
> aren't for nothing though since I am just learning the system
> step-by-step.
>
> I just finished the install and would like to know how to remove the
> applet (if I am using the right term) on the left side and just use
> the top portion as my main menu screen.

The bottom panel is where you have your Garbage Can (extreme right) and
where you have your multiple workspaces (also on the right hand).

You don't want to get rid of this panel. What you do is right-click on
the panel, select Preferences and then chose to auto-hide.

Do the same for the top panel, if you want.

The applet at the extreme left side is nothing to worry to worry about -
but if you really want to get rid of it just simply right click on it
and....remove.

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:53:03 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> The bottom panel is where you have your Garbage Can (extreme right)
> and where you have your multiple workspaces (also on the right hand).
>
> You don't want to get rid of this panel.

I stuck both of those on the top panel and removed the bottom one, then
added Cairo-dock at the bottom. Is there a reason you say not to get
rid of the bottom panel?

Cybe R. Wizard -can't help massive tweaking
--
"Windows is yucky. It keeps breaking"
Edward Bordas Age 5

Old 09-21-2010, 03:29 PM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

I tried the right click on the left that has categories for different applications and I don't get any response, not even on the little blank space at the bottom of the categories. I don't have anything on the bottom yet since I am using whatever Lucid Lynx uses* as the stock desktop theme.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 06:45 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> OK, try this:
>
> in a terminal-
>
> killall -l gnome-panel
>
> then
>
> CTRL-ALT-F1
>
> and
>
> rm -rf gnome gnome2 gconf gconfd

*Do Not* do that. Even if the command were written properly (and no I'm
not going to correct it), it would remove all of the current user
settings! Why on earth would you even suggest this, particularly with
the limited information that the OP has provided?