Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Doug

Default second Linux distro on second hd

On 9/21/2010 3:10 AM, J wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:03, Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Is there any trick in putting a second distro (Ubuntu) on a second drive
>> and booting either one with grub?
>> This is an older computer with IDE drive capability only, and I don't
>> want to invest a whole batch of money into it, by upgrading the mobo,
>> etc., but I can probably scrounge up an old IDE drive someplace. (I
>> would not replace the PcLOs distro that I'm running on it now.)
>
> No. There is not.
>
> You just boot the ISO and choose "Install them side by side" or
> whatever it is...
>
> As long as you have space to make partitions (e.g. you haven't used up
> the maximum number of partitions, you can add to your heart's
> content).
>
> Good example: My test netbook runs WinXP, Lucid, Maverick, Crunchbang
> and Slax....

I think you misunderstand. I want to keep one distro on one hd, and the
other distro on the other hd. The existing hd is not big
enough to support two distros.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 AM

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:28, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 9/21/2010 3:10 AM, J wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:03, Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net> *wrote:
>>> Is there any trick in putting a second distro (Ubuntu) on a second drive
>>> and booting either one with grub?
>>> This is an older computer with IDE drive capability only, and I don't
>>> want to invest a whole batch of money into it, by upgrading the mobo,
>>> etc., but I can probably scrounge up an old IDE drive someplace. *(I
>>> would not replace the PcLOs distro that I'm running on it now.)
>>
>> No. There is not.
>>
>> You just boot the ISO and choose "Install them side by side" or
>> whatever it is...
>>
>> As long as you have space to make partitions (e.g. you haven't used up
>> the maximum number of partitions, you can add to your heart's
>> content).
>>
>> Good example: *My test netbook runs WinXP, Lucid, Maverick, Crunchbang
>> and Slax....
>>
> I think you misunderstand. *I want to keep one distro on one hd, and the
> other distro on the other hd. *The existing hd is not big
> enough to support two distros.

Then the answer is still the same. No, there is not.

Just tell the installer to install to the second disk. The only catch
may be not installing the boot loader in the right place or updating
the current one, but that's not often an issue, I think. It usually
works well.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:03:09 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> Is there any trick in putting a second distro (Ubuntu) on a second
> drive and booting either one with grub?
> This is an older computer with IDE drive capability only, and I don't
> want to invest a whole batch of money into it, by upgrading the mobo,
> etc., but I can probably scrounge up an old IDE drive someplace. (I
> would not replace the PcLOs distro that I'm running on it now.)
>
> --doug

Just make sure to choose the correct drive for installation. That's
all there is to it.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:03:09 -0400, Doug wrote:

> Is there any trick in putting a second distro (Ubuntu) on a second drive
> and booting either one with grub?
> This is an older computer with IDE drive capability only, and I don't
> want to invest a whole batch of money into it, by upgrading the mobo,
> etc., but I can probably scrounge up an old IDE drive someplace. (I
> would not replace the PcLOs distro that I'm running on it now.)

Yes it is feasible and quite easy to do.

While installing the second distro and asked where you want to install
GRUB. DO NOT install it to MBR but rather point the installer to install
GRUB on the second hard drive where you install your new distro.

After completed boot into your first distro and edit its menu.lst file to
chainload your new distro from its location.

title My Brand New Distro On Second HDD
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

The only inconvenience of such configuration that after you select your
distro at the first GRUB menu you will be brought to the second distro
GRUB menu and will need to hit ENTER again or wait a time you specified
in second distro menu.lst for GRUB to wait on menu. As you can guess you
can set this time to 0 too. :-)