Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Nick Edwards

Default hardy to lucid pc hard lock ups

Hi there,

Just upgraded from hard to lucid, was impressed, after my video started working, I have one of those intel chips ubuntu devs don't care about it seems.
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

Anyway, I managed to get it booting into GUI so I can log in, all is good, until I try play any video file, the pc hard locks up, requiring hard power off/on

This as you all know is NOT good for disks!

So, I'm hoping before I wreck another HDD (hardy never ever hibernated when low battery, that bug got me many times), has anyone seen/resolved this horrible bug?

I have all the required gstream* plugins and ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, this all worked fine on hardy.
*Google shows others having this problem too with no resolve.

My only kernel log messages seems to be

*[drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU*hung
render error detected, EIR: 0x00000000
[drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5 (awaiting 375751 at 375750)

In messages I also see and assume it is related
pulseaudio[8348]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
pulseaudio[8348]: main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-nGO551cCUf: Connection refused

pulseaudio[8348]: ratelimit.c: 11 events suppressed
bonobo-activation-server (noel-8403): could not associate with desktop session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-nGO551cCUf: Connection refused

I stress, it is a hard lockup, I can not switch to console, the machine also is not ssh'ble nor pingable when this happens, not very good , I thought I left* the

one-program-crashes-entire-pc when I left* Windows

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Please no offense, but I do not need replies or comments from the likes of Karl Larsen, who in my time here never really contributes anything but confusion.

Thanks again
Nicky

Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 12:06 AM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just upgraded from hard to lucid, was impressed, after my video started
> working, I have one of those intel chips ubuntu devs don't care about it
> seems.
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev 02)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev 02)
>
> Anyway, I managed to get it booting into GUI so I can log in, all is good,
> until I try play any video file, the pc hard locks up, requiring hard power
> off/on
> This as you all know is NOT good for disks!
>
> So, I'm hoping before I wreck another HDD (hardy never ever hibernated when
> low battery, that bug got me many times), has anyone seen/resolved this
> horrible bug?
>
> I have all the required gstream* plugins and ubuntu-restricted-extras
> installed, this all worked fine on hardy.
> Google shows others having this problem too with no resolve.
>
> My only kernel log messages seems to be
> [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
> render error detected, EIR: 0x00000000
> [drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5 (awaiting
> 375751 at 375750)
>

> In messages I also see and assume it is related
> pulseaudio[8348]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
> pulseaudio[8348]: main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket
> /tmp/dbus-nGO551cCUf: Connection refused
> pulseaudio[8348]: ratelimit.c: 11 events suppressed
> bonobo-activation-server (noel-8403): could not associate with desktop
> session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-nGO551cCUf: Connection
> refused
>
> I stress, it is a hard lockup, I can not switch to console, the machine also
> is not ssh'ble nor pingable when this happens, not very good , I thought I
> left the
> one-program-crashes-entire-pc when I left Windows

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/541492>
[MASTER: [i845] GPU lockup (apport-crash) (Should KMS be blacklisted?)]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes
[Working around bugs in the new kernel video architecture]

Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM
NoOp

On 09/21/2010 09:14 AM, NoOp wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/541492>
> [MASTER: [i845] GPU lockup (apport-crash) (Should KMS be blacklisted?)]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes
> [Working around bugs in the new kernel video architecture]
Sorry, forgot this for the ReleaseNotes:
[Intel 8xx X freezes/crashes]

Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Nick Edwards

Thanks, I already tried a few of those with no success, guess it's rollback, or maybe even Fedora time.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Yorvyk

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:42:06 +1000
Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I already tried a few of those with no success, guess it's rollback,
> or maybe even Fedora time.

Might be worth waiting for Maverick as the lock-ups appear to have disappeared, for me anyway.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Nick Edwards

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:42:06 +1000

Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I already tried a few of those with no success, guess it's rollback,

> or maybe even Fedora time.

Might be worth waiting for Maverick as the lock-ups appear to have disappeared, for me anyway.

Considering lucid is an LTS, I would hope they backport the fixes immediately they declare it stable
The funny thing is if I use avidemux it bloody works!

But the mp4's that I have to review often, need to be good enough for a court, and although avidemux plays them, it is (as it warns) out of sync.

*Since I have to destroy this partition anyway, as it is unacceptable in its current form, I might as well try Fedora, if it works, they win and gain me.

*

--

Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 08:08 +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:42:06 +1000
> Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I already tried a few of those with no success,
> guess it's rollback,
> > or maybe even Fedora time.
> >

> Might be worth waiting for Maverick as the lock-ups appear to
> have disappeared, for me anyway.
>

> Considering lucid is an LTS, I would hope they backport the fixes
> immediately they declare it stable
> The funny thing is if I use avidemux it bloody works!
>
> But the mp4's that I have to review often, need to be good enough for
> a court, and although avidemux plays them, it is (as it warns) out of
> sync.
>
> Since I have to destroy this partition anyway, as it is unacceptable
> in its current form, I might as well try Fedora, if it works, they win
> and gain me.

I've read here that an upgrade from LTS to LTS is supposed to be
possible. Myself, I wouldn't trust that with a ten-foot pole. There is
no way for anyone to plan for all of the cruft that you may have
unknowingly introduced to your system, and have the huge leap in
versions actually work seamlessly. People are human and humans make
mistakes 15% of the time, statistically.

Myself, I don't have the expectation that the devels possess the
God-like power to foresee ~everything~ I/you/they may have done in the
past to mung the install. So, I install fresh every release, figuring
the chances of success are higher, and happily have experienced zero
problems. None, not one at all. If I assume the stance that I have been
struck dumb with a pole-axe, and accept the suggested options during
install, it flat out works. Lucky me, every blooming time.

For the record, don't expect Fedora to make any such claim that you can
jump 4 version levels painlessly. I can tell you, from a large amount of
personal experience there, that they'll laugh you off of the list.
Fedora is in a state of perpetual beta testing, and you get to keep the
broken pieces. That is the ~only~ assurance you'll get there. xvfb was
broken through 3 releases before they finally fixed it. It just wasn't
high enough on the list, so I installed Ubuntu, which worked, and never
looked back.

Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 10-16-2010, 07:16 AM