Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Any suggestions, please? -UPDATE - BUT NO JOY -- RESOLVED....WELL SORT OF......

On 19/09/2010 01:14, Li Li wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 00:28 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>> I bought a pre-loved ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo and, using the existing PSU
>> (which many people, including myself, thought was the culprit) and all
>> the other bits, the ASUS boots.
>>
>> This is the good part.
>>
>> The bad part is that I cannot get the whole sheebang to actually work
>> properly.
>>
>> The CPU I have, Athlon XP 3200+ which should be showing as pounding away
>> at 2200MHz is showing up as a 1100MHz CPU - and the 'system' will not
>> even run the Ubuntu Live CD :-( .
>>

> <snippage>
>
>> Can anyone see the flaw in the above which, when corrected, would get
>> the beast working again?
>>
>> BC
>>
> What BIOS does the board have? Is there somewhere you can just set
> fail-safe defaults and try with that?
>
> Is cool 'n quiet on or off? Cool 'n quiet often causes AMD systems to
> show slower CPU speeds because that's what it does. A real benchmark or
> stress test may show the "real" CPU clock speed.
>
> You say you can't boot the Ubuntu CD. What *can* you boot with?

Li Li,

I apologise for not responding to you earlier and, now, in full - and I
will simply acknowledge your message at this point and state that I
haven't responded because I am checking a few things out and didn't want
to respond without having some "data" behind me. And it this for this
reason that I now post only an acknowledgement but still without any
details....I am still trying to eliminate a couple of variables so that
I can get some sort of a clearer picture of what is happening here.

Let it suffice at this point for me to state that I have made SOME
progress; I can at least now get the "system" to boot, but at a reduced
CPU rate than what the CPU is actually rated at, and worked perfectly on
the other mobo, and only with a Live CD (of Ubuntu)......

A day or so and I'll provide the answers, and ask for help re what the
heck it going on with this stupid ASUS mobo :-( .

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Christopher Chan

> A day or so and I'll provide the answers, and ask for help re what the
> heck it going on with this stupid ASUS mobo :-( .

Does it have the latest BIOS/firmware? I swore off Asus many years ago
because of their buggy BIOS until very recently (year or so) in favour
of A-bit/MSI.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Basil Chupin

On 21/09/2010 18:16, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> A day or so and I'll provide the answers, and ask for help re what the
>> heck it going on with this stupid ASUS mobo :-( .
>>

> Does it have the latest BIOS/firmware? I swore off Asus many years ago
> because of their buggy BIOS until very recently (year or so) in favour
> of A-bit/MSI.

The BIOS is 2 upgrades short of the latest (1006 vs 1008). I have looked
at the list of changes and, from my limited knowledge, didn't see
anything which would improve things for me.

I had downloaded the latest BIOS upgrade a few days ago but I just do
not like to apply anything like this (had a very bad experience with
doing such an upgrade to a brand new DVD writer which turned it into a
door stop less than 24 hours after I bought it) but will try and do so
as the very last resort - in preference to being taken away by men in
white coats :-) .

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Basil Chupin

On 19/09/2010 03:56, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 08:14 -0700, Li Li wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 00:28 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

>>> I bought a pre-loved ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo and, using the existing PSU
>>> (which many people, including myself, thought was the culprit) and all
>>> the other bits, the ASUS boots.
>>>
>>> This is the good part.
>>>
>>> The bad part is that I cannot get the whole sheebang to actually work
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> The CPU I have, Athlon XP 3200+ which should be showing as pounding away
>>> at 2200MHz is showing up as a 1100MHz CPU
>>>
> I have the same problem. I'd love to hear of a resolution. But, mine
> will boot from a CD, as I do have my CD set as the first in line to boot
> from. Have you checked that?? Ric

Cannot help out at this point (nor at any point I think :-( ) because
that ASUS mobo seems to have given up the ghost - or if it hasn't I am
not wasting any more time on it. I've been at this for some 4 weeks now
and I *think* I have found the problem which started all this fooling
around. See another post a bit later.

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Basil Chupin

On 17/10/2010 16:00, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 19/09/2010 03:56, Ric Moore wrote:

>> I have the same problem. I'd love to hear of a resolution. But, mine
>> will boot from a CD, as I do have my CD set as the first in line to boot
>> from. Have you checked that?? Ric
>>

> Cannot help out at this point (nor at any point I think :-( ) because
> that ASUS mobo seems to have given up the ghost - or if it hasn't I am
> not wasting any more time on it. I've been at this for some 4 weeks now
> and I *think* I have found the problem which started all this fooling
> around. See another post a bit later.
>
> BC

When I thought about it, I concluded that I could have answered what I
wanted to say in the above post instead of using another one because
when I looked at my original post, which started this thread, and
subsequent ones, what I am about to state just does not compute nor seem
logical.

Nevertheless, it is true......

I've spent 4 weeks on this damn mess; I've bought a new used mobo to
replace the original one which I thought was "zapped" (it may be
afterall, dunno - just cannot face redoing everything at the moment to
test this....); I've changed power supplies; I've done loop de loops......

Anyway, to cut a short answer long, (but this does not gel with my
opening post!) I ended up putting my slow, old, backup system into the
Antec case which contained by original (failed) system. I transferred it
yesterday with the psu, the modo, the lot...... and non of it would
work! The whole sheebang was DEAD!

Spent the evening reading RED MARS, had several bottles of wine (maybe
more....can't recall), cried a bit on the pretzels, went to bed.....
Woke up in the middle of the night - and concluded that there is
something wrong with the *power switch* on the Antec case.

After I got up and found the cleanest dirty shirt, I tested the switch
with the multimeter. No sign of life. So I sprayed the switch with CRC
2-26 - and everything started to work: to whirr and spin and grind,
except for the video card fan[1].

But now I have 2x 120mm and an 80mm fans spinning at full speed 'cause
the psu can't control them like the original (Antec 550watt) psu could -
it all sounds like the Red Baron is revving up for a take-off! :-) . But
I can get mail, I can post, I can browse.... What else is there in life?

[1] In another thread - I think it's in the offtopic list - I mentioned
that I used to lubricate fans with molybdenum past. Well this one was,
but what I discovered is that the paste had hardened (?from heat) and
the fan would not spin. I had to take it apart, clean it and lubricate it.

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Christopher Chan

> Spent the evening reading RED MARS, had several bottles of wine (maybe
> more....can't recall), cried a bit on the pretzels, went to bed.....
> Woke up in the middle of the night - and concluded that there is
> something wrong with the *power switch* on the Antec case.
>
> After I got up and found the cleanest dirty shirt, I tested the switch
> with the multimeter. No sign of life. So I sprayed the switch with CRC
> 2-26 - and everything started to work: to whirr and spin and grind,
> except for the video card fan[1].
>
> But now I have 2x 120mm and an 80mm fans spinning at full speed 'cause
> the psu can't control them like the original (Antec 550watt) psu could -
> it all sounds like the Red Baron is revving up for a take-off! :-) . But
> I can get mail, I can post, I can browse.... What else is there in life?
>
> [1] In another thread - I think it's in the offtopic list - I mentioned
> that I used to lubricate fans with molybdenum past. Well this one was,
> but what I discovered is that the paste had hardened (?from heat) and
> the fan would not spin. I had to take it apart, clean it and lubricate it.

Don't know whether to say Bravo! or ROTL

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Basil Chupin

On 17/10/2010 20:35, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Spent the evening reading RED MARS, had several bottles of wine (maybe
>> more....can't recall), cried a bit on the pretzels, went to bed.....
>> Woke up in the middle of the night - and concluded that there is
>> something wrong with the *power switch* on the Antec case.
>>
>> After I got up and found the cleanest dirty shirt, I tested the switch
>> with the multimeter. No sign of life. So I sprayed the switch with CRC
>> 2-26 - and everything started to work: to whirr and spin and grind,
>> except for the video card fan[1].
>>
>> But now I have 2x 120mm and an 80mm fans spinning at full speed 'cause
>> the psu can't control them like the original (Antec 550watt) psu could -
>> it all sounds like the Red Baron is revving up for a take-off! :-) . But
>> I can get mail, I can post, I can browse.... What else is there in life?
>>
>> [1] In another thread - I think it's in the offtopic list - I mentioned
>> that I used to lubricate fans with molybdenum past. Well this one was,
>> but what I discovered is that the paste had hardened (?from heat) and
>> the fan would not spin. I had to take it apart, clean it and lubricate it.
>>

> Don't know whether to say Bravo! or ROTL

I will hold off commenting on the above until you next starting talking
about HD operating temperatures......

:-)

BC

--
"If it weren't for electricity we'd be all watching televion by candlelight."
George Gobel

Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Christopher Chan

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 17/10/2010 20:35, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> Spent the evening reading RED MARS, had several bottles of wine (maybe
>>> more....can't recall), cried a bit on the pretzels, went to bed.....
>>> Woke up in the middle of the night - and concluded that there is
>>> something wrong with the *power switch* on the Antec case.
>>>
>>> After I got up and found the cleanest dirty shirt, I tested the switch
>>> with the multimeter. No sign of life. So I sprayed the switch with CRC
>>> 2-26 - and everything started to work: to whirr and spin and grind,
>>> except for the video card fan[1].
>>>
>>> But now I have 2x 120mm and an 80mm fans spinning at full speed 'cause
>>> the psu can't control them like the original (Antec 550watt) psu could -
>>> it all sounds like the Red Baron is revving up for a take-off! :-) . But
>>> I can get mail, I can post, I can browse.... What else is there in life?
>>>
>>> [1] In another thread - I think it's in the offtopic list - I mentioned
>>> that I used to lubricate fans with molybdenum past. Well this one was,
>>> but what I discovered is that the paste had hardened (?from heat) and
>>> the fan would not spin. I had to take it apart, clean it and lubricate it.
>>>

>> Don't know whether to say Bravo! or ROTL
>>

> I will hold off commenting on the above until you next starting talking
> about HD operating temperatures......
>
> :-)
>
> BC

How about current on the different power rails of a power supply? Let me
regurgitate how I got a dual Opteron server with 10 disks and 2GB of RAM
running on a redundant 350w power supply back in 2004 or so by
carefully matching power requirements on all the different power rails.
/me chokes...

ps: I'll bear in mind to check the power switch before I go off to buy
anything to check suspected failed parts if I run into a won't boot
situation again.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 AM
Basil Chupin

On 18/10/2010 08:13, Li Li wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 16:49 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 17/10/2010 16:00, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
> [ much snippage ]
>

>> Anyway, to cut a short answer long, (but this does not gel with my
>> opening post!) I ended up putting my slow, old, backup system into the
>> Antec case which contained by original (failed) system. I transferred it
>> yesterday with the psu, the modo, the lot...... and non of it would
>> work! The whole sheebang was DEAD!
>>
>> Spent the evening reading RED MARS, had several bottles of wine (maybe
>> more....can't recall), cried a bit on the pretzels, went to bed.....
>> Woke up in the middle of the night - and concluded that there is
>> something wrong with the *power switch* on the Antec case.
>>
> Told you 3 weeks ago to take the MB out of the case, take everything
> (including memory) out of the MB, take the power supply out of the case
> and plug the two together on a wooden table in an uncarpeted room with
> your feet bare (static precautions) and short the PWR pins together
> briefly with your pocket knife blade. Signs of life? Add stuff back
> gradually until it fails.

I guess I missed it... :-( .

Anyway, just tried it on the mobo which seemed to have failed - and it
is "dead" from the point of view that I don't get a single beep out of
it when power is applied, and there is power going into the mobo (I
still had the cpu attached and the cpu fan was working OK and the RAM
LED was glowing).

I'll try same now on the replacement mobo in the next couple of days
(other things to do in the meantime).

And thanks for repeating above/below which I apparently missed.

[pruned]

>> [1] In another thread - I think it's in the offtopic list - I mentioned
>> that I used to lubricate fans with molybdenum past. Well this one was,
>> but what I discovered is that the paste had hardened (?from heat) and
>> the fan would not spin. I had to take it apart, clean it and lubricate it.
>>
> Marvel Mystery Oil!

Most probably isn't available here in AUS. But will check.

I use gun-oil, with all its additives and synthetic this and synthetic
that...

> A wonderful North American product; I dunno if they
> still even make it. It was for top cylinder lubrication, so it was kind
> of viscus, maybe SAE 35. A can will last a long life time of fan
> lubrication. Any similar product would probably work. For fans, I like
> to pay the couple of bucks more for dual ball bearings, since
> re-lubricating sleeve bearings just postpones the inevitable.

The 80mm and 120mm case fans, plus cpu fan, are all ball-rearing but I
haven't yet seen any 40mm fans for HDD cradles which are balled- only
sleeved. And I didn't even think that I could get a ball-bearing fan for
the video card until I just looked and found that Zalman make such fans
for my nVidia 6600 card. Will have to investigate this one! :-)

Thanks again for the above.

BC

--
"If it weren't for electricity we'd be all watching television by candlelight."
George Gobel

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 AM
Basil Chupin

On 17/10/2010 17:55, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 16:49 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

Well, now I would like to know the solution - if and when you come
across one.

I'll be testing out the ASUS mobo in a couple of days and if I can that
working at the reduced speed of 2500+ and not the 3200+ I would still be
ahead of what I am now using (2100+) AND I will have dual-channel 1.5GB
of RAM (as against the <sob> 512MB at the moment).

[pruned]

> Did a Wallaby walla-pee on it?<chuckles and snerks> Ric

Wallaby-pee good. Plenty good medicine. Wallaby good also - much yum-yum.

BC