Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default mail merge like feature

Just wanted to know if there is a feature like mail merge (as in
Microsoft Outlook) in
Ubuntu.Please provide some link to documentation if similar thing is
there on Ubuntu 10.04/

--
Tapas

Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 09:18 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Just wanted to know if there is a feature like mail merge (as in
> Microsoft Outlook) in
> Ubuntu.Please provide some link to documentation if similar thing is
> there on Ubuntu 10.04/

Evolution is supposed to be the "Outlook Killer" by PC magazine. Just
google up on it. It's readily available if you crank up your package
manager. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, September 21, 2010 09:34, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 09:18 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> Just wanted to know if there is a feature like mail merge (as in
>> Microsoft Outlook) in
>> Ubuntu.Please provide some link to documentation if similar thing is
>> there on Ubuntu 10.04/
>
> Evolution is supposed to be the "Outlook Killer" by PC magazine. Just
> google up on it. It's readily available if you crank up your package
> manager. Ric

Awww, that's not very nice, Ric. ;-)
You should at least point him towards the OpenOffice Mail Merge Wizard. ;-)

To Tapas Mishra: you don't use Outlook to create a mail merge. You use MS
Word. You've been looking in the wrong place.
The Ubuntu equivalent of MS Word is OpenOffice.org Writer. It has a mail
merge wizard. I don't know if it is installed by default but if not, it's
very easy to install with your package manager.

Please write back to the list to tell us if this answer helped you, or if
you need more help.

--
Amedee

Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Tony Pursell

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 09:18 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Just wanted to know if there is a feature like mail merge (as in
> Microsoft Outlook) in
> Ubuntu.Please provide some link to documentation if similar thing is
> there on Ubuntu 10.04/
>
> --
> Tapas

You can do mail merge with OpenOffice.org Word Processor. In Ubuntu,
you can specify Evolution Contacts as a data source and set OOo to email
the merged docs for you.

See

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Using_Mail_Merge

It doesn't say too much on emailed docs. What you need to do is set up
your email in

Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org Writer > Mail Merge E-mail

Tony

Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Just wanted to know if there is a feature like mail merge (as in
> Microsoft Outlook) in
> Ubuntu.Please provide some link to documentation if similar thing is
> there on Ubuntu 10.04/

Tapas,
I don't know mailmerge in MS Outlook but Openoffice offers a good
mailmerge implementation which can also import adresses from thunderbird
and Evolution.
Joep

Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Tony Pursell
<ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> See
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Using_Mail_Merge
Thanks I was looking for this one.