Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 AM
chris

Default Just about driven to pull my hair out with Firefox

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 21:28 -0500, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> > Then why didn't to you come back and report that in the original
> thread:
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/220005
>
> Probably because I assumed nobody would read a 4 month old thread in
> which I had already said the problem was solved (though it
> remanifested). My apologies for the oversight and wasting the lists
> time with a double post.
>
> > Have you tested with other browsers (yes there are others) to see if
> the
> > problem exists in those as well?
>

> Yes, I am aware that there are other browsers and I've tried a few
> others with the same result (which I said in my previous reply in this
> thread). That's why I'd finally accepted it as an IPv6 issue since it
> was present in multiple browsers and not just in Firefox.
>

> > Posting "Firefox simply stalling on random websites" does nothing.
> > Unless you can point someone to a URL that fails, provide details of
> > your FF extensions, tell us what launchpad bugs you've checked and
> > suspect, etc., etc., you'll be better off here:
> > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
> > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
>

> Well, the problem is that Firefox was stalling on *random* sites at
> *random* times so providing a URL to a site would be kind of
> pointless. For example, it stalled on Facebook a few times, then
> loaded it fine. It stalled on GMail a few times with intermittent
> successes between the fails. It stalled on Slashdot. As I think I said
> in my post last night, there wasn't any rhyme or reason to the stalls
> and they were completely random.
>

> As to checking out Launchpad, I did and I also spent quite a bit of
> time with all of our best friend Google. Everything points to 'it's an
> IPv6 problem' and I took it as such. But implementing the widely
> recommended fix didn't actually fix it and I reached a dead end so I
> came here. I didn't go to the Mozilla support center which was my
> mistake. Again, my apologies for offending the list.
>

> Thank you all for your time. It's appreciated. Now. I'll go do more
> research and hopefully find a solution. If not, well, that could mean
> the end of Ubuntu for me since NO browser seems to work. Shame too as
> I really love the OS.
>

> Anthony

I solved the issue by using icecat, and purging firefox.

--
Just my 2c's worth
Cheers the kiwi

Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Basil Chupin

On 21/09/2010 12:28, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> > Then why didn't to you come back and report that in the original thread:
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/220005
>
> Probably because I assumed nobody would read a 4 month old thread in
> which I had already said the problem was solved (though it
> remanifested). My apologies for the oversight and wasting the lists
> time with a double post.
>
> > Have you tested with other browsers (yes there are others) to see if the
> > problem exists in those as well?
>
> Yes, I am aware that there are other browsers and I've tried a few
> others with the same result (which I said in my previous reply in this
> thread). That's why I'd finally accepted it as an IPv6 issue since it
> was present in multiple browsers and not just in Firefox.Â
>
> > Posting "Firefox simply stalling on random websites" does nothing.
> > Unless you can point someone to a URL that fails, provide details of
> > your FF extensions, tell us what launchpad bugs you've checked and
> > suspect, etc., etc., you'll be better off here:
> > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
> > http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
>
> Well, the problem is that Firefox was stalling on *random* sites at
> *random* times so providing a URL to a site would be kind of
> pointless. For example, it stalled on Facebook a few times, then
> loaded it fine. It stalled on GMail a few times with intermittent
> successes between the fails. It stalled on Slashdot. As I think I said
> in my post last night, there wasn't any rhyme or reason to the stalls
> and they were completely random.
>
> As to checking out Launchpad, I did and I also spent quite a bit of
> time with all of our best friend Google. Everything points to 'it's an
> IPv6 problem' and I took it as such. But implementing the widely
> recommended fix didn't actually fix it and I reached a dead end so I
> came here. Â I didn't go to the Mozilla support center which was my
> mistake. Â Again, my apologies for offending the list.
>
> Thank you all for your time. It's appreciated. Â Now. I'll go do more
> research and hopefully find a solution. If not, well, that could mean
> the end of Ubuntu for me since NO browser seems to work. Shame too as
> I really love the OS.
>
> Anthony

I am interested in this situation of yours - for quite a different
reason (possibly associated with another thread I have ongoing).

You haven't yet mentioned:

what are you using - a desktop or a laptop and what is the system:
32-bit or 64-bit?;

what is your CPU and how much RAM do you have?;

are you using the Ubuntu supplied Firefox, and upgrading it using Update
Manager or using apt-get in a terminal, or are you using Firefox from
Mozilla and therefore installing it yourself?;

which Addons do you have installed - Extensions, Theme, and Plugins?;

have you tried to Clear the Cache either manually (ie, simply delete it-
it will rebuild on the next startup of FF) or via the
Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Settings?

Would appreciate a response because, as I stated, it may help with
another thread I have ongoing. Thanks.

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Anthony Papillion

Hi Basil,

Sorry about that. Let me answer those questions now and I do hope my
answers help with your other thread...

> what are you using - a desktop or a laptop and what is the system:
> 32-bit or 64-bit?;

It's an Acer laptop running the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. Tried the
64-bit a while back and had no really compelling use for it so I went
to 32 instead.

> what is your CPU and how much RAM do you have?;

It's an AMD dual core Sempron CPU running at 1.6Ghz and 3GB RAM,

> are you using the Ubuntu supplied Firefox, and upgrading it using Update
> Manager or using apt-get in a terminal, or are you using Firefox from
> Mozilla and therefore installing it yourself?;

Yep, I'm using the Ubuntu supplied version and upgrading through the
Update Manager. Haven't downloaded from Mozilla directly since I know
the Ubuntu supplied version has tweaks unique to the distro.

> which Addons do you have installed - Extensions, Theme, and Plugins?;

No add-ons or extensions. Only plugin I installed was the Flash
Player, gotten from the repository.

> have you tried to Clear the Cache either manually (ie, simply delete it-
> it will rebuild on the next startup of FF) or via the
> Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Settings?

Yes, with no change to the operation of the browser. It still stalled.

> Would appreciate a response because, as I stated, it may help with
> another thread I have ongoing. *Thanks.

There ya go! Hope it helps. Sorry for the curtness of the reply but
it's late and I'm about to go to bed. Let me know if I can answer any
other questions.

Anthony

Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Basil Chupin

On 21/09/2010 19:24, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Hi Basil,
>
> Sorry about that. Let me answer those questions now and I do hope my
> answers help with your other thread...

Many thanks, Anthony, and sorry for the delayed response.

Your answers were informative but did not really provide the answer to
my problem. However, they did add to other's basket of knowledge as well
as mine.

Thanks again for you response.

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
ms

On 21/09/10 03:28, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>> Then why didn't to you come back and report that in the original thread:
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/220005
>
> Probably because I assumed nobody would read a 4 month old thread in which I
> had already said the problem was solved (though it remanifested). My
> apologies for the oversight and wasting the lists time with a double post.
>
>> Have you tested with other browsers (yes there are others) to see if the
>> problem exists in those as well?
>
> Yes, I am aware that there are other browsers and I've tried a few others
> with the same result (which I said in my previous reply in this thread).
> That's why I'd finally accepted it as an IPv6 issue since it was present in
> multiple browsers and not just in Firefox.
>
>> Posting "Firefox simply stalling on random websites" does nothing.
>> Unless you can point someone to a URL that fails, provide details of
>> your FF extensions, tell us what launchpad bugs you've checked and
>> suspect, etc., etc., you'll be better off here:
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
>
> Well, the problem is that Firefox was stalling on *random* sites at *random*
> times so providing a URL to a site would be kind of pointless. For example,
> it stalled on Facebook a few times, then loaded it fine. It stalled on GMail
> a few times with intermittent successes between the fails. It stalled on
> Slashdot. As I think I said in my post last night, there wasn't any rhyme or
> reason to the stalls and they were completely random.
>
> As to checking out Launchpad, I did and I also spent quite a bit of time
> with all of our best friend Google. Everything points to 'it's an IPv6
> problem' and I took it as such. But implementing the widely recommended fix
> didn't actually fix it and I reached a dead end so I came here. I didn't go
> to the Mozilla support center which was my mistake. Again, my apologies for
> offending the list.
>
> Thank you all for your time. It's appreciated. Now. I'll go do more
> research and hopefully find a solution. If not, well, that could mean the
> end of Ubuntu for me since NO browser seems to work. Shame too as I really
> love the OS.

Most obvious thing: Do other operating systems work well? Seems to me an
issue with your network, more than with the OS.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Eduardo Daudt Flach

Anthony,
Once I had a problem similar to that regarding java applets (pages did not load and the browser hung).
Then I renamed the user folder ~/.mozilla/firefox and the page began to work again.
Can you try something like that?