Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Anthony Papillion

Default Just about driven to pull my hair out with Firefox

Last night, I posted a message talking about problems I was having with Firefox simply stalling on random websites. In most cases, a simple page refresh takes care of the problem but not always. I read a message that said it might be related to IPv6 and that I should disable it in Firefox's config. I did and there is virtually no change at all.* At first, it seemed like there might have been a change but, on a second examination, there wasn't.

How can I fix this problem? I've Googled for months about this problem (which first manifested in 9.04) and can't seem to find any way to solve it. Has anyone run into this and actually fixed it with a NON IPv6 solution?

Thanks!
Anthony
--
Anthony Papillion
Lead Developer / Owner

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cajuntechie

My Blog:** http://www.cajuntechie.com

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 AM
user1

Has anyone run into this...

I am using 10.04, and have met the same problem, now you mention it, I
just thought it was the Internet which was overloaded?

Firefox version 3.6.9 stops loading a webpage, and a F5 press does not
help, firefox page loading stops again in same position.

One time firefox stopped during playing a video, but I managed to pick up
the video in the /tmp directory in spite.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 AM
"[C]hicken [G] od"

Have you tried upgrading to 3.6.10? You may want to try Chromium as well to see if the same problem occurs.

I am using 10.04, and have met the same problem, now you mention it, I

just thought it was the Internet which was overloaded?

Firefox version 3.6.9 stops loading a webpage, and a F5 press does not

help, firefox page loading stops again in same position.

One time firefox stopped during playing a video, but I managed to pick up

the video in the /tmp directory in spite.

[C] hicken [G] od
-=>Hi Tek, Lo Life<=-
http://planet-zero.blogspot.com

Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 AM
Anthony Papillion

Have you tried upgrading to 3.6.10? You may want to try Chromium as well to see if the same problem occurs.

Chicken:

Yep, I've upgraded to 3.6.10 and I have the same problem.* I will try Chromium but I suspect it won't work. Last time I tried Chrome, I had the same problem and it seems like others are having it too.I hope this issue is fixed in 10.10 as it's really annoying and carried through two versions now.

Anthony

Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 AM
NoOp

On 09/20/2010 06:26 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Last night, I posted a message talking about problems I was having with
> Firefox simply stalling on random websites. In most cases, a simple page
> refresh takes care of the problem but not always. I read a message that said
> it might be related to IPv6 and that I should disable it in Firefox's
> config. I did and there is virtually no change at all. At first, it seemed
> like there might have been a change but, on a second examination, there
> wasn't.

Then why didn't to you come back and report that in the original thread:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/220005

> How can I fix this problem? I've Googled for months about this problem
> (which first manifested in 9.04) and can't seem to find any way to solve it.
> Has anyone run into this and actually fixed it with a NON IPv6 solution?

Have you tested with other browsers (yes there are others) to see if the
problem exists in those as well?

Posting "Firefox simply stalling on random websites" does nothing.
Unless you can point someone to a URL that fails, provide details of
your FF extensions, tell us what launchpad bugs you've checked and
suspect, etc., etc., you'll be better off here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support

Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Anthony Papillion

> Then why didn't to you come back and report that in the original thread:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/220005

Probably because I assumed nobody would read a 4 month old thread in which I had already said the problem was solved (though it remanifested). My apologies for the oversight and wasting the lists time with a double post.

> Have you tested with other browsers (yes there are others) to see if the
> problem exists in those as well?

Yes, I am aware that there are other browsers and I've tried a few others with the same result (which I said in my previous reply in this thread). That's why I'd finally accepted it as an IPv6 issue since it was present in multiple browsers and not just in Firefox.*

> Posting "Firefox simply stalling on random websites" does nothing.
> Unless you can point someone to a URL that fails, provide details of
> your FF extensions, tell us what launchpad bugs you've checked and

> suspect, etc., etc., you'll be better off here:
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support

Well, the problem is that Firefox was stalling on *random* sites at *random* times so providing a URL to a site would be kind of pointless. For example, it stalled on Facebook a few times, then loaded it fine. It stalled on GMail a few times with intermittent successes between the fails. It stalled on Slashdot. As I think I said in my post last night, there wasn't any rhyme or reason to the stalls and they were completely random.

As to checking out Launchpad, I did and I also spent quite a bit of time with all of our best friend Google. Everything points to 'it's an IPv6 problem' and I took it as such. But implementing the widely recommended fix didn't actually fix it and I reached a dead end so I came here. *I didn't go to the Mozilla support center which was my mistake. *Again, my apologies for offending the list.

Thank you all for your time. It's appreciated. *Now. I'll go do more research and hopefully find a solution. If not, well, that could mean the end of Ubuntu for me since NO browser seems to work. Shame too as I really love the OS.

Anthony

Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 AM
NoOp

On 09/20/2010 07:28 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>> Then why didn't to you come back and report that in the original thread:
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/220005
>
> Probably because I assumed nobody would read a 4 month old thread in which I
> had already said the problem was solved (though it remanifested). My
> apologies for the oversight and wasting the lists time with a double post.
>
>> Have you tested with other browsers (yes there are others) to see if the
>> problem exists in those as well?
>
> Yes, I am aware that there are other browsers and I've tried a few others
> with the same result (which I said in my previous reply in this thread).
> That's why I'd finally accepted it as an IPv6 issue since it was present in
> multiple browsers and not just in Firefox.

Try this:
http://pctechtips.org/disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid/
> Thank you all for your time. It's appreciated. Now. I'll go do more
> research and hopefully find a solution. If not, well, that could mean the
> end of Ubuntu for me since NO browser seems to work. Shame too as I really
> love the OS.

Your choice, but I reckon that _if_ it is an IPV6 issue the the problem
most likely is with your router rather than the OS. Specifically, what
router + firmware version & details on your network setup would be helpful.