Old 09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
rikona

Default Mounting ext4 from an ext3 system

I'd like to run Ubuntu with dual boot to an existing Mandriva 2008
using ext3. Each will be on its own HD. Ubuntu apparently wants to
format with ext4. Google info seems to indicate that, under certain
conditions, ext4 can't be used with, or even seen by, an ext3 system.
Will I be able to mount an ext4 partition from a running Mandrive/ext3
and do reads/writes to the ext4 with no problem?

I realize ext4 is backward compatible, but I prefer to be able to work
in both directions as needed.

If this will be a problem, is it possible to install Ubuntu so it
formats with ext3? I didn't see mention of that option in the install
documentation.

Thanks,

rikona

Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Alan Pope

On 20 September 2010 16:35, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> I'd like to run Ubuntu with dual boot to an existing Mandriva 2008
> using ext3. Each will be on its own HD. Ubuntu apparently wants to
> format with ext4.

ext4 is just the default. You could install Ubuntu on ext3 and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Rashkae

rikona wrote:
> I'd like to run Ubuntu with dual boot to an existing Mandriva 2008
> using ext3. Each will be on its own HD. Ubuntu apparently wants to
> format with ext4. Google info seems to indicate that, under certain
> conditions, ext4 can't be used with, or even seen by, an ext3 system.
> Will I be able to mount an ext4 partition from a running Mandrive/ext3
> and do reads/writes to the ext4 with no problem?

According to distrowatch, EXT4 support was not added to Mandriva until
the 2009.1 version. If you want 2008 Mandriva to read/write to your
Ubuntu Hard drive, format that drive as Ext3 rather than ext4.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM
rikona

Monday, September 20, 2010, 8:57:07 AM, Rashkae wrote:

R> rikona wrote:
>> I'd like to run Ubuntu with dual boot to an existing Mandriva 2008
>> using ext3. Each will be on its own HD. Ubuntu apparently wants to
>> format with ext4. Google info seems to indicate that, under certain
>> conditions, ext4 can't be used with, or even seen by, an ext3
>> system. Will I be able to mount an ext4 partition from a running
>> Mandrive/ext3 and do reads/writes to the ext4 with no problem?

R> According to distrowatch, EXT4 support was not added to Mandriva
R> until the 2009.1 version.

True - that's why I was asking.

R> If you want 2008 Mandriva to read/write to your Ubuntu Hard drive,
R> format that drive as Ext3 rather than ext4.

Thanks, Alan and Rashkae. I didn't see an ext3 option in the install
docs, so I'll pre-format it with ext3.

--

rikona

Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 11:02 -0700, rikona wrote:

> Thanks, Alan and Rashkae. I didn't see an ext3 option in the install
> docs, so I'll pre-format it with ext3.

It's there, I seem to recall it was in "custom" drives setup or
something like that, where you chose what partition you are mounting to
where, whether to format, the mount point and the file type, all on a
partition by partition basis. You actually have to click on a tick-box
to format, so if you clicked it, you must be aware of the consequences.
It's nice. Ric

Linux user# 44256