Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Goh Lip

Default MBR

On Monday 20,September,2010 04:11 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> Do you mean that you suspect Ubuntu's bootloader is still on the MBR?
>> To get rid of it:
>> 1. Boot with Ubuntu liveCD
>> 2. Open terminal: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your harddrive)
>> (adjust to your need: /dev/sda, /dev/hda) bs=1k count=10000
>> That will surely destroy the MBR.
>
> That wipes not only the MBR but the first 10MB of the disk which is more
> than the entire first track. If you really want to only wipe the MBR, it
> would be "bs=512 count=1" instead.

Fajar, Nils, I was wondering about the package 'mbr'
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mbr

Would this be able to handle what Norman wanted without 'deleting' or
setting zeroes to the track which may be 'hazardous'?

Looks like we can set back mbr and then do the XP install without
errors. I am not sure as I have no reason to try this out.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Nils Kassube

Goh Lip wrote:
> Fajar, Nils, I was wondering about the package 'mbr'
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mbr
>
> Would this be able to handle what Norman wanted without 'deleting' or
> setting zeroes to the track which may be 'hazardous'?

From the man page of install-mbr [1] it looks like it would install a
boot manager which lets you select from which partition you want to
boot. I don't think that is what the OP was looking for. And I'm also
not sure if the XP install could be completed using this extra boot
manager.

Nils

[1] <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/install-mbr.8.html>

Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Goh Lip

On Monday 20,September,2010 06:24 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Goh Lip wrote:
>> Fajar, Nils, I was wondering about the package 'mbr'
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mbr
>>
>> Would this be able to handle what Norman wanted without 'deleting' or
>> setting zeroes to the track which may be 'hazardous'?
>
>> From the man page of install-mbr [1] it looks like it would install a
> boot manager which lets you select from which partition you want to
> boot. I don't think that is what the OP was looking for. And I'm also
> not sure if the XP install could be completed using this extra boot
> manager.
>

> Nils
>
> [1]<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/install-mbr.8.html>

Okay, thanks Nils, but reading the above seems to give an indication
that it 'might' work. But going back to Norman's issue, if the hard
drive can be totally cleared, setting zeroes to even the whole drive,
and Fajar's suggestion to clear 10 MB would still be okay, right? Unless
of course, Norman wants to clear only the mbr tracks if there are other
data on the rest of the disk he wants to keep.

If Norman can help check out the mbr package, that would be good too.
boot live cd,
sudo apt-get install mbr
sudo install-mbr /dev/sda

Then exit and install XP. Let us know if installation proceeds or still
stop or hangs at some point as before. If fails, then proceed with
Fajar/Nils setting zeroes.

Good luck - Goh Lip

Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Norman Silverstone

> > I have an oldish HDD which had Ubuntu installed and I decided to install
> > XP Pro onto it and use it for some tests I wanted to do. However, I have
> > been hit by a difficulty, I cannot install XP Pro. The installation goes
> > OK up to the point when it needs to boot from the HDD and there it stops
> > giving some most unlikely error about cables. I think I read about
> > something similar some years ago and the MBR was blamed for this. Is
> > this likely and, if so, how can I prove it is the case and then put
> > things right, please?

<snip>

Thanks folks for all the helpful answers I now know what to do.

Norman

Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Rashkae

Norman Silverstone wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Thanks folks for all the helpful answers I now know what to do.
>
> Norman

Please keep us posted on how helpful it is to clear your HD. As a
general rule, the problem with Windows is that it always overwrites the
MBR with it's own. I've never yet heard of a Windows install failing
because old bootloader was left unmolested. Unless something very
strange is happening, your problem installing Windows XP is likely
caused by hardware/driver issues.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Norman Silverstone

> <snip>
>
> Thanks folks for all the helpful answers I now know what to do.

Just to finalise - removed the MBR and the problem disappeared.

Norman

Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 10:23 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> Norman Silverstone wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > Thanks folks for all the helpful answers I now know what to do.
> >
> > Norman
> >

> Please keep us posted on how helpful it is to clear your HD. As a
> general rule, the problem with Windows is that it always overwrites the
> MBR with it's own. I've never yet heard of a Windows install failing
> because old bootloader was left unmolested. Unless something very
> strange is happening, your problem installing Windows XP is likely
> caused by hardware/driver issues.

Check your bios, as it is likely that you have virus protection set to
"on". Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Goh Lip

On 09/20/2010 10:23 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> Just to finalise - removed the MBR and the problem disappeared.

Norman, please clarify how this was done. Will appreciate your letting
us know. We can learn something too.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Norman Silverstone

> > Just to finalise - removed the MBR and the problem disappeared.
> >
> Norman, please clarify how this was done. Will appreciate your letting
> us know. We can learn something too.

I am starting with 2 HDDs in my nachine one of which has Ubuntu 9.10,
which I use and the other had at one time also had a version of Ubuntu
installed on it and it was this HDD on which I wanted to install XP Pro.
This is what I did:-

1. Disconnect the Ubuntu drive
2. Boot an Ubuntu live CD
3. Open a terminal
4. as root, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
5. Reboot with a windows install CD

Step 3 writes one sector of zeroes to the hard drive which *should*
cause Windows to think the drive is unpartitioned and unprepared
bootloader-wise.

Don't forget step 1. though, or you risk obliterating your ubuntu
install.

I hope this is helpful.

Norman

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Goh Lip

On 09/21/2010 02:56 AM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

> 1. Disconnect the Ubuntu drive
> 2. Boot an Ubuntu live CD
> 3. Open a terminal
> 4. as root, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
> 5. Reboot with a windows install CD

> I hope this is helpful.

Yes, Norman, got it. Thanks.

Regards - Goh Lip