Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Norman Silverstone

Default MBR

I have an oldish HDD which had Ubuntu installed and I decided to install
XP Pro onto it and use it for some tests I wanted to do. However, I have
been hit by a difficulty, I cannot install XP Pro. The installation goes
OK up to the point when it needs to boot from the HDD and there it stops
giving some most unlikely error about cables. I think I read about
something similar some years ago and the MBR was blamed for this. Is
this likely and, if so, how can I prove it is the case and then put
things right, please?

Norman

Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Norman Silverstone
<norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> I have an oldish HDD which had Ubuntu installed and I decided to install
> XP Pro onto it and use it for some tests I wanted to do. However, I have
> been hit by a difficulty, I cannot install XP Pro. The installation goes
> OK up to the point when it needs to boot from the HDD and there it stops
> giving some most unlikely error about cables. I think I read about
> something similar some years ago and the MBR was blamed for this. Is
> this likely and, if so, how can I prove it is the case and then put
> things right, please?

Do you mean that you suspect Ubuntu's bootloader is still on the MBR?
To get rid of it:
1. Boot with Ubuntu liveCD
2. Open terminal: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your harddrive)
(adjust to your need: /dev/sda, /dev/hda) bs=1k count=10000
That will surely destroy the MBR.

And continue the XP installation.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Nils Kassube

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Do you mean that you suspect Ubuntu's bootloader is still on the MBR?
> To get rid of it:
> 1. Boot with Ubuntu liveCD
> 2. Open terminal: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your harddrive)
> (adjust to your need: /dev/sda, /dev/hda) bs=1k count=10000
> That will surely destroy the MBR.

That wipes not only the MBR but the first 10MB of the disk which is more
than the entire first track. If you really want to only wipe the MBR, it
would be "bs=512 count=1" instead.

Nils