Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Kyle

Default Problem with pygame on Maverick beta

I just upgraded to Ubuntu Maverick beta. I have an audio game on my
system that is written in Python and uses the pygame module to play
sounds. On my previous test install of Linux Mint 9, which is based on
Lucid, the game worked fairly well. However on Ubuntu Maverick I get the
following error when I run the program:

kyle@ubuntu:~/rsgames$ ./Play.sh
there is no soundcard
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
./Play.sh: line 4: 2049 Aborted (core dumped) python
rsg.pyc

Unfortunately I'm unsure how to debug this particular issue, since the
code for the game I have is currently not freely available. I have tried
installing everything from alternative SDL sound libraries to OSS4, all
with no luck. Google was no help either, as someone else who was having
a similar problem solved it by modifying Python code to initialize the
mixer twice, which unfortunately I am unable to test with this game. Am
I somehow missing a package that I had in Mint 9 that isn't installed by
default on Ubuntu Maverick? If not, is there a bug in pygame in the
Maverick beta? If I need to file a bug, do I file it against pygame, SDL
or some other package? Any help is greately appreciated.

~Kyle