FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

Hi

On a machine with dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Vista which has been
working fine for many months, suddenly Vista no longer appears in the
boot menu (GRUB2). I have not used Vista for a week so am not sure
exactly when it happened. I am not aware of any problems in the
meantime apart from an update (don't know what to) which complained of
a download not being available, but this seemed ok when the update was
run again later.

I have checked /etc/default/grub and run
sudo update-grub
which does not report the Vista partition.
I am able to access the files on the vista partition from Ubuntu and
it looks ok in gparted (showing the boot flag).

Google reports lots of issues with grub disappearing after updating
windows but I could not find any reports of Vista disappearing.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On Sunday 19,September,2010 11:14 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> On a machine with dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Vista which has been
> working fine for many months, suddenly Vista no longer appears in the
> boot menu (GRUB2). I have not used Vista for a week so am not sure
> exactly when it happened. I am not aware of any problems in the
> meantime apart from an update (don't know what to) which complained of
> a download not being available, but this seemed ok when the update was
> run again later.
>
> I have checked /etc/default/grub and run
> sudo update-grub
> which does not report the Vista partition.
> I am able to access the files on the vista partition from Ubuntu and
> it looks ok in gparted (showing the boot flag).
>
> Google reports lots of issues with grub disappearing after updating
> windows but I could not find any reports of Vista disappearing.
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> Colin
>
Colin, try the following
sudo grub-mkdevicemap
sudo update-grub

You should check if you can boot up windows if you do the following at
the grub prompt (press 'c' at grub menu)
set root=(hd0,x)
chainloader +1
boot

where (hd0,x) is /dev/sdax of the windows partition, (usually x=1)

Regards - Goh Lip



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Doug
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On 09/19/2010 10:14 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> On a machine with dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Vista which has been
> working fine for many months, suddenly Vista no longer appears in the
> boot menu (GRUB2). I have not used Vista for a week so am not sure
> exactly when it happened. I am not aware of any problems in the
> meantime apart from an update (don't know what to) which complained of
> a download not being available, but this seemed ok when the update was
> run again later.
>
> I have checked /etc/default/grub and run
> sudo update-grub
> which does not report the Vista partition.
> I am able to access the files on the vista partition from Ubuntu and
> it looks ok in gparted (showing the boot flag).
>
> Google reports lots of issues with grub disappearing after updating
> windows but I could not find any reports of Vista disappearing.
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
> Colin
>
I have found some problems with different versions of grub, altho
not ones that developed over time. The "best" version I have is
the one that came with PCLINUXOS. You can run it off the live
disk. (It's not perfect either: it seems to have found to
versions of the same installed Linux distro! There are 3 on the
hd.)

-doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On 19 September 2010 17:18, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 19,September,2010 11:14 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On a machine with dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Vista which has been
>> working fine for many months, suddenly Vista no longer appears in the
>> boot menu (GRUB2). *I have not used Vista for a week so am not sure
>> exactly when it happened. *I am not aware of any problems in the
>> meantime apart from an update (don't know what to) which complained of
>> a download not being available, but this seemed ok when the update was
>> run again later.
>>
>> I have checked /etc/default/grub and run
>> sudo update-grub
>> which does not report the Vista partition.
>> I am able to access the files on the vista partition from Ubuntu and
>> it looks ok in gparted (showing the boot flag).
>>
> Colin, try the following
> sudo grub-mkdevicemap
> sudo update-grub

Thanks for the help.
OK, did that, no change.

>
> You should check if you can boot up windows if you do the following at
> the grub prompt (press 'c' at grub menu)
> set root=(hd0,x)
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> where (hd0,x) is /dev/sdax of the windows partition, (usually x=1)

This boots into Vista ok. So that means that Vista is ok, but for
some reason grub does not see it.
I see from the grub docs that I can manually include the relevant boot
option, but it would be better if I could persuade grub to work it out
for itself. Any ideas where to go next?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On Wednesday 22,September,2010 12:43 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> Colin, try the following
>> > sudo grub-mkdevicemap
>> > sudo update-grub
> Thanks for the help.
> OK, did that, no change.
>
>> >
>> > You should check if you can boot up windows if you do the following at
>> > the grub prompt (press 'c' at grub menu)
>> > set root=(hd0,x)
>> > chainloader +1
>> > boot
>> >
>> > where (hd0,x) is /dev/sdax of the windows partition, (usually x=1)
> This boots into Vista ok. So that means that Vista is ok, but for
> some reason grub does not see it.
> I see from the grub docs that I can manually include the relevant boot
> option, but it would be better if I could persuade grub to work it out
> for itself. Any ideas where to go next?

Colin, boot into ubuntu and
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Hope this works, but I am reluctant to suggest the use of "-f" or
"--recheck --root-directory". I agree with you that it is better to let
grub work it out than a manual entry, but Colin, Windows parameters
*never* change in the grub menu. (Say, compared to linux kernel changes)

Good luck - Goh Lip


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On 19 September 2010 22:56, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> *On 09/19/2010 10:14 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On a machine with dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Vista which has been
>> working fine for many months, suddenly Vista no longer appears in the
>> boot menu (GRUB2). *I have not used Vista for a week so am not sure
>> exactly when it happened. *I am not aware of any problems in the
>> meantime apart from an update (don't know what to) which complained of
>> a download not being available, but this seemed ok when the update was
>> run again later.
>>
>> I have checked /etc/default/grub and run
>> sudo update-grub
>> which does not report the Vista partition.
>> I am able to access the files on the vista partition from Ubuntu and
>> it looks ok in gparted (showing the boot flag).
>>
>> Google reports lots of issues with grub disappearing after updating
>> windows but I could not find any reports of Vista disappearing.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> I have found some problems with different versions of grub, altho
> not ones that developed over time. *The "best" version I have is
> the one that came with PCLINUXOS. *You can run it off the live
> disk. *(It's not perfect either: *it seems to have found to
> versions of the same installed Linux distro! *There are 3 on the
> hd.)

I am not entirely sure what you are suggesting I do.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On 21 September 2010 20:42, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22,September,2010 12:43 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>> Colin, try the following
>>> > *sudo grub-mkdevicemap
>>> > *sudo update-grub
>> Thanks for the help.
>> OK, did that, no change.
>>
>>> >
>>> > *You should check if you can boot up windows if you do the following at
>>> > *the grub prompt (press 'c' at grub menu)
>>> > *set root=(hd0,x)
>>> > *chainloader +1
>>> > *boot
>>> >
>>> > *where (hd0,x) is /dev/sdax of the windows partition, (usually x=1)
>> This boots into Vista ok. *So that means that Vista is ok, but for
>> some reason grub does not see it.
>> I see from the grub docs that I can manually include the relevant boot
>> option, but it would be better if I could persuade grub to work it out
>> for itself. * Any ideas where to go next?
>
> Colin, boot into ubuntu *and
> sudo grub-install /dev/sda

It said it installed successfully and I did sudo update-grub after,
but it is still not finding Vista. Perhaps I have found a bug. I
think I will go down the manual route using /etc/grub.d/40_custom as
described in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Thanks for the help anyway.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Goh Lip
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On Wednesday 22,September,2010 04:21 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>
> It said it installed successfully and I did sudo update-grub after,
> but it is still not finding Vista. Perhaps I have found a bug. I
> think I will go down the manual route using /etc/grub.d/40_custom as
> described in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Colin, instead of using (hd0,x) as done earlier, for a permanent more
failsafe manual entry for windows, make it use uuid as well too, as an
example....


menuentry "Windows Vista" {
insmod ntfs
set root=(hd0,x)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
chainloader +1
}

Regards - Goh Lip

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On 21 September 2010 21:28, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> Colin, instead of using (hd0,x) as done earlier, for a permanent more
> failsafe manual entry for windows, make it use uuid as well too, as an
> example....
>
>
> menuentry "Windows Vista" {
> * * * *insmod ntfs
> * * * *set root=(hd0,x)
> * * * *search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> * * * *chainloader +1
> }
>

I was in the process of following this advice when I looked more
carefully at grub.cfg and realised that I had misinterpreted the
problem. It is actually on a relative's machine several hundred miles
away which has complicated things a bit. The Vista boot is not
missing at all, it is just wrongly labeled in the boot menu. There
should be a Windows Recovery entry and a Vista entry, (and my relative
is confident that there used to be a Vista one, but is not sure what
the recovery one was labeled as). Now, however, the recovery one is
labeled "Windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sda1)" and the Vista one is
labeled "Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" which
is rather confusing to say the least.

In order to avoid confusion I am going ahead with a custom entry for
Vista as you have suggested. It would be nice to hide the erroneous
entries but I have not been able to work out how to do that.

Sorry for messing everyone about with faulty info.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
NoOp
 
Default Dual boot problem - Vista disappeared from Grub menu

On 09/21/2010 02:36 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 21 September 2010 21:28, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> Colin, instead of using (hd0,x) as done earlier, for a permanent more
>> failsafe manual entry for windows, make it use uuid as well too, as an
>> example....
>>
>>
>> menuentry "Windows Vista" {
>> insmod ntfs
>> set root=(hd0,x)
>> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> chainloader +1
>> }
>>
>
> I was in the process of following this advice when I looked more
> carefully at grub.cfg and realised that I had misinterpreted the
> problem. It is actually on a relative's machine several hundred miles
> away which has complicated things a bit. The Vista boot is not
> missing at all, it is just wrongly labeled in the boot menu. There
> should be a Windows Recovery entry and a Vista entry, (and my relative
> is confident that there used to be a Vista one, but is not sure what
> the recovery one was labeled as). Now, however, the recovery one is
> labeled "Windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sda1)" and the Vista one is
> labeled "Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" which
> is rather confusing to say the least.
>
> In order to avoid confusion I am going ahead with a custom entry for
> Vista as you have suggested. It would be nice to hide the erroneous
> entries but I have not been able to work out how to do that.

Why even have the Vist recovery environment entry at all? Remember this
thread?
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213839.html


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org