Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Detlef Lechner

Default "Magic number: 10:86:987". What does this number refer to?

Hi Steve,

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 10:58 +0100, Yorvyk wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:00:54 +0200
> Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net> wrote:

> > At startup my Maverick Beta computer writes after 1,8 s : "Magic number:
> > 10:86:987". What does this number refer to?

> > http://www.linfo.org/magic_number.html

The information given in this article refers to another kind of magic
number and is not related to the Maverick Beta console output 1.8 s
after restarting the computer.
There are several kinds of magic numbers, as Wikipedia will testify.
According
to /usr/share/linux-source-2.6.35/linux-source-2.6.35/drivers/base/power/trace.c I presume that it means USERHASH:FILEHASHEVHASH.
I wonder why s2disk or s2ram writes out this kind of magic number. Does
Ubuntu Maverick Beta consider the ACPI resume process as not completely
successful, or does it write it out as a routine matter (just in case
the resume process breaks)?

Regards,
Detlef Lechner