Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default ls is getting killed

I am having a strange problem,
when ever I am typing ls I get a message Killed
what is happening and how to debug this thing?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having a strange problem,
> when ever I am typing ls I get a message Killed
> what is happening and how to debug this thing?
> --

Just when I had posted this message on this list I rebooted the
computer and I am not more able to login to it from gnome.
Ctrl+Alt+F1 or virtual consoles work perfectly.
I am not sure as what has happened.

--
Tapas

Old 09-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Neil Cherry

On 09/19/2010 06:07 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am having a strange problem,
>> when ever I am typing ls I get a message Killed
>> what is happening and how to debug this thing?
>> --
>>

> Just when I had posted this message on this list I rebooted the
> computer and I am not more able to login to it from gnome.
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 or virtual consoles work perfectly.
> I am not sure as what has happened.

A wild guess: an upgrade just occurred and an important library was
replaced. A reboot straightened out (there are times when Linux is
required to reboot to do some upgrades, most times it's not necessary).

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Neil Cherry <ncherry@linuxha.com> wrote:
> A wild guess: an upgrade just occurred and an important library was
> replaced.
Did not do any upgrade.
> A reboot straightened out (there are times when Linux is
> required to reboot to do some upgrades, most times it's not necessary).
I rebooted out of frustration since any thing was not working.
--
Tapas

Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I am having a strange problem,
> > when ever I am typing ls I get a message Killed
> > what is happening and how to debug this thing?
> > --
>
> Just when I had posted this message on this list I rebooted the
> computer and I am not more able to login to it from gnome.
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 or virtual consoles work perfectly.
> I am not sure as what has happened.

Just another wild guess: Could it be that the partition with your /home
directory doesn't have any space left?

Nils

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Just another wild guess: Could it be that the partition with your /home
> directory doesn't have any space left?
Well I had just installed the OS so this possibility I do not seem correct.
Before this error occurred I had removed office and many other
packages (from synaptics)
which exist in many normal home users.
The worst case for me will be to re install complete OS.
I just logged in via Ctrl+Alt+F1
and using cfdisk to check if the partition is filled up I got following error

"FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends in the final
partial cylind
Press any key to exit cfdisk "

in above message there is no typo error I have typed exactly as it gave.

--
Tapas

Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Just another wild guess: Could it be that the partition with your /home
just checked df -h /
Size 9.4 G Used 3.4 G Avail 5.9G

--
Tapas

Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Nils Kassube

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Just another wild guess: Could it be that the partition with your
> > /home directory doesn't have any space left?
>
> Well I had just installed the OS so this possibility I do not seem
> correct. Before this error occurred I had removed office and many
> other packages (from synaptics)
> which exist in many normal home users.
> The worst case for me will be to re install complete OS.

Ah, that's another hint. Maybe you removed a package that is vital for
Gnome? You could try

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

which should reinstall what is necessary.

> I just logged in via Ctrl+Alt+F1
> and using cfdisk to check if the partition is filled up I got
> following error

Well, cfdisk wouldn't tell you how much space is left on a partition,
but from your other mail I see that you found the df command already.

Nils

Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Doug

On 09/19/2010 11:43 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Nils Kassube<kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Just another wild guess: Could it be that the partition with your /home
>> directory doesn't have any space left?
> Well I had just installed the OS so this possibility I do not seem correct.
> Before this error occurred I had removed office and many other
> packages (from synaptics)
> which exist in many normal home users.
> The worst case for me will be to re install complete OS.
> I just logged in via Ctrl+Alt+F1
> and using cfdisk to check if the partition is filled up I got following error
>
> "FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends in the final
> partial cylind
> Press any key to exit cfdisk "
>
> in above message there is no typo error I have typed exactly as it gave.

Try running GParted, and if it offers to fix something, let it.
If that doesn't work, run it again, check that the right partition
is marked for boot, and Write (upper case W) the partition
table, without actually changing anything. This seemingly
useless routine got me out of a bind just the other day.

--doug

Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Tanmoy Chatterjee

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> *On 09/19/2010 11:43 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Nils Kassube<kassube@gmx.net> *wrote:
>>> Just another wild guess: Could it be that the partition with your /home
>>> directory doesn't have any space left?
>> Well I had just installed the OS so this possibility I do not seem correct.
>> Before this error occurred I had removed office and many other
>> packages (from synaptics)
>> which exist in many normal home users.
>> The *worst case for me will be to re install complete OS.
>> I just logged in via Ctrl+Alt+F1
>> and using cfdisk to check if the partition is filled up I got following error
>>
>> "FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends in the final
>> partial cylind
>> Press any key to exit cfdisk "
Once due to loose power cable my desktop gets halted accidentally and
starting it, shows some error message and it can't boot the system. I
use the Ubuntu Live-cd and use the gparted partition editor to check
and repair the hard disk/partition. After it completes the operation I
restart the computer and usually log in to my ubuntu system.