Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default how to find which packages take how much space

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit as Guest OS on Vmware for some reason
I have to remove the packages which consume more space.
Is there a way to find out which package takes how much space?
Preferably via command line so that I can save all that for my analysis.

--
Tapas

Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
C de-Avillez

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:08:26 +0530
Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit as Guest OS on Vmware for some reason
> I have to remove the packages which consume more space.
> Is there a way to find out which package takes how much space?
> Preferably via command line so that I can save all that for my
> analysis.

'dpkg-query' can do it (details in the man page):

dpkg-query --show --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package} ${Version}
'
5264 abs-guide 6.2-1
300 acl 2.2.49-3
420 acpi-support 0.137
216 acpid 1.0.10-5ubuntu4
112 acpidump 20100513-1
80 add-apt-key 1.0-0.5
884 adduser 3.112ubuntu1
416 adium-theme-ubuntu 0.3-0ubuntu1
(...)

Cheers,

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> 'dpkg-query' can do it (details in the man page):
>
> dpkg-query --show --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package} ${Version}
'
Do I need to know each library what it does and why is it present.
I for some reason wanted to delete gdm from my desktop but then found
coming to text console for Ubuntu
as a guest arrow keys did not worked so just want to remove all the
unneeded things in guest OS
any easy way I compiled kernels and the size of guest OS was 10 GB it
consumed all.

--
Tapas