Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Monte Milanuk

Default Server install boot options

Hello,

I'm curious about the boot options during the server install immediately
following selecting the language. The ones labeled 'F1, F2,...F6' at the bottom
of the screen. I can't seem to find any usable information in the official
documentation, and what I can find in the community docs seems to apply to the
desktop live cd version, as the options are different from what I'm seeing when
booting from the server install cd.

Specifically, the option 'F4 Modes' used to be for selecting graphics modes, but
now contains options 'Normal', 'OEM Install', 'Install minimal system', and
'Install minimal virtual machine'. And 'F6 Boot Options' used to contain various
parameters for booting with funky hardware... it still does, but has two other
options 'Expert' and 'Free Software Only' which are similarly unexplained as to
what exactly they do.

Where can I find some documentation that covers what those options actually do,
etc.? Seems like some important options to be left completely out of the
official documents...

Thanks,

Monte

Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Monte Milanuk

[...]

actually do, how they differ from the normal full install, etc.? Seems

Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Christopher Chan

On Sunday, September 19, 2010 06:12 AM, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious about the boot options during the server install immediately
> following selecting the language. The ones labeled 'F1, F2,...F6' at the bottom
> of the screen. I can't seem to find any usable information in the official
> documentation, and what I can find in the community docs seems to apply to the
> desktop live cd version, as the options are different from what I'm seeing when
> booting from the server install cd.
>
> Specifically, the option 'F4 Modes' used to be for selecting graphics modes, but
> now contains options 'Normal', 'OEM Install', 'Install minimal system', and
> 'Install minimal virtual machine'. And 'F6 Boot Options' used to contain various
> parameters for booting with funky hardware... it still does, but has two other
> options 'Expert' and 'Free Software Only' which are similarly unexplained as to
> what exactly they do.

I suspect 'Expert' means you get to individually choose packages while
'Free Software Only' will disable repositories/packages that are not
Free Software.

> Where can I find some documentation that covers what those options actually do,
> etc.? Seems like some important options to be left completely out of the
> official documents...

Ugh...links to installation manual url that does not exist. Sigh. I
guess I better leave my hardy box well alone. If it ain't broke, don't
fix it.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 AM

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 18:12, Monte Milanuk <memilanuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Specifically, the option 'F4 Modes' used to be for selecting graphics modes, but
> now contains options 'Normal', 'OEM Install', 'Install minimal system', and
> 'Install minimal virtual machine'. And 'F6 Boot Options' used to contain various
> parameters for booting with funky hardware... it still does, but has two other
> options 'Expert' and 'Free Software Only' which are similarly unexplained as to
> what exactly they do.

F4:
Normal: Normal server installation
OEM Install: installs Server and a tool called OEM-config that runs a
setup wizard the first time a customer boots a system. Desktop and
netbook all have OEM mode.
Minimal System: self explanatory
Minimal Virtual Machine: self explanatory

F6:
Expert Mode, IIRC, drops you to debian installer and lets you pick and
choose every single facet of the installation process...
Free Software Only: As Christopher Chan said, disables any non-free
repos, so no restricted stuff at all.

> Where can I find some documentation that covers what those options actually do,
> etc.? Seems like some important options to be left completely out of the
> official documents...

Good question... it seems to be a little lacking...

Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
"M. Milanuk"

Curious... ran an 'normal' install of 10.04LTS in Virtualbox... 693MB
used. Ran a 'minimal' install in a VM... 635MB disk space used. Not a
whole lot of change for 'minimal'.

Can someone help me out on this... if I'm overlooking info in the
official docs or if there is a better place to ask, please point me in
the right direction?

Thanks,

Monte