Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Paul Sladen

Default CPU Speed scaling (was: Any suggestions)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 08:14 -0700, Li Li wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 00:28 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > > The CPU I have, Athlon XP 3200+ which should be showing as pounding away
> > > at 2200MHz is showing up as a 1100MHz CPU
> I have the same problem. I'd love to hear of a resolution.

If the CPU has nothing to do, it will be scaled back in order to save power
and reduce thermal output, in to order allowing bigger bursts when the
processing ability is actually /needed/.

-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three. Somewhere, GB.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 20:50 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Ric Moore wrote:
> > I have the same problem. I'd love to hear of a resolution.
>
> If the CPU has nothing to do, it will be scaled back in order to save power
> and reduce thermal output, in to order allowing bigger bursts when the
> processing ability is actually /needed/.

Ah! I cranked up xbmc in windowed mode, which likes it's share of CPU,
and got this:

wayward4now@iam:~$ cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 006: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
driver: powernow-k8
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
maximum transition latency: 109 us.
hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.00 GHz
available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 1000 MHz
available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, userspace,
powersave, performance
current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 2.00 GHz.
The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency is 2.00 GHz.
cpufreq stats: 2.00 GHz:23.18%, 1000 MHz:76.82% (888)
wayward4now@iam:~$

So, it does work, I just needed to really task the CPU for the system to
crank up.

BTW, xbmc is one helluva multimedia application. Find "toxic-friend.mod"
and crank up xbmc with /settings/music/playback set to Project M, you'll
have one snazzy light show and bewilder your kids!.

Use the tab key to get rid of the menu and use the key to switch
between windowed and full screen mode. Way cool, especially for us OLD
hipsters who still like to rock.

For the latest beta just head over here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Installing_XBMC_for_Linux
...and follow the Ubuntu instructions. The version in the repo just
started seg faulting on me, so I just enabled the ppa for xbmc. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Steve Malenfant

The CPU has everything to with it.
Please see this and where it states "CPU Frequency Scaling"
http://www.mythtv.com/wiki/VDPAU

All explained in there, I had the problem too.. Set your minimum frequency to 1800Mhz.