Old 09-18-2010, 01:21 AM
P Echo

Default Hardware testing.

I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp I know that my
problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.

My intention is to do hardware and memory testing from an Ubuntu live
CD before having to dig into the guts of XP to try and solve.

I have in the past DL'd and burned several rescue type CDs But for
this purpose, I thought I would just run the memory test provided on
the Ubuntu live CD, then from a live environment, use the built in
hardware test tools. Anyone's experience lead to any better ideas?
Reasons why I should use some other tools?

If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
(WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself) I assume the normal bloat
and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
first. It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old. No model or other yet.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-- Patton

Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Doug

On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:
> I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp I know that my
> problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.
>
> /snip/
>
> If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
> like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
> (WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself) I assume the normal bloat
> and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
> first. It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old. No model or other yet.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> -- Patton

Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.? Have you run
some good anti-virus program(s)? Windows even has some of its own
security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP. Also, I'd get
and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
Internet Explorer. They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
Only then run your tests.
(You probably knew all this, anyway.)
--doug

Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Patton Echols

On 09/17/2010 07:17 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp I know that my
>> problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.
>>
>> /snip/
>>
>> If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
>> like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
>> (WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself) I assume the normal bloat
>> and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
>> first. It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old. No model or other yet.
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>
>> -- Patton
>>

> Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.? Have you run
> some good anti-virus program(s)? Windows even has some of its own
> security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP. Also, I'd get
> and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
> tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
> Internet Explorer. They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
> Only then run your tests.
> (You probably knew all this, anyway.)
> --doug

Sure, All the usual stuff. I planned on doing the hardware checks first
because I'm hearing things like "this laptop is crap, it's old and
dying" Until I do the HW checks, I'll never convince anyone that it's
just the OS needing a cleaning.

I don't know what's been done yet, I'm volunteering for a small
non-profit and this machine is in production over night, then I have one
day (tomorrow) to get it up to snuff to go out of town on business next
week!

Thanks for the thoughts (I had forgotten about Reg.Mechanic.)

-- Patton

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Liam Proven

On 18 September 2010 03:48, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 07:17 PM, Doug wrote:
>> On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:
>>
>>> I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp * I know that my
>>> problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.
>>>
>>> /snip/
>>>
>>> If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
>>> like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
>>> (WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself) *I assume the normal bloat
>>> and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
>>> first. *It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old. *No model or other yet.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>>
>>> -- Patton
>>>

>> Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.? *Have you run
>> some good anti-virus program(s)? *Windows even has some of its own
>> security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP. *Also, I'd get
>> and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
>> tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
>> Internet Explorer. *They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
>> Only then run your tests.
>> (You probably knew all this, anyway.)
>> --doug
>>

> Sure, All the usual stuff. *I planned on doing the hardware checks first
> because I'm hearing things like "this laptop is crap, it's old and
> dying" *Until I do the HW checks, I'll never convince anyone that it's
> just the OS needing a cleaning.
>
> I don't know what's been done yet, I'm volunteering for a small
> non-profit and this machine is in production over night, then I have one
> day (tomorrow) to get it up to snuff to go out of town on business next
> week!
>
> Thanks for the thoughts (I had forgotten about Reg.Mechanic.)

FWIW, personally, from extensive experience, I consider all registry
tools other than RegEdit.exe and RegEdt32.exe to be a complete waste
of time. Don't bother, they're all just scams. Any improvement is
observed placebo effect, nothing more.

1. Clear out all the temp files, both from the user directory and from Windows.

2. Give it a CHKDSK. You can't do that from Ubuntu but a Win7
emergency startup CD (free download) works fine.

3. A virus scan with a couple of the freebies you don't need to
install is a good plan.

4. Run Windows Update & ensure every available serious update is
installed. Do the same with Office.

5. Delete all the uninstallers to reclaim a gig or so of space.

Unfortunately, you can only do step 1 from Linux, but it has uses all
the same - no files will be open, everything can be deleted, and you
can also get any pesky temp directories in the root directories of any
drives - the ones with long "names" in hexadecimal whose contents you
can't see from within Windows. Nuke those with extreme prejudice, too.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Dominik Danter

What I usually do is boot from a Linux livecd and scan for viruses from there using f-prot (there are some other av companies providing support for linux, like avira, but I have no experience with them). I do hardware testing wtih the ubc (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/).

As far to what Liam Proven says regarding registry tools I couldn't agree more.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Tony Pursell

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 22:17 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:
> > I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp I know that my
> > problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.
> >
> > /snip/
> >
> > If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
> > like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
> > (WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself) I assume the normal bloat
> > and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
> > first. It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old. No model or other yet.
> >
> > Thanks for any thoughts.
> >
> > -- Patton
> >

> Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.? Have you run
> some good anti-virus program(s)? Windows even has some of its own
> security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP. Also, I'd get
> and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
> tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
> Internet Explorer. They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
> Only then run your tests.
> (You probably knew all this, anyway.)
> --doug

My wife has a 3yr old Inspiron 6400 that is playing up - very slow &
blue screens every so often. I have used a Live USB to do a memory
test. I've downloaded clamav to the USB to do a virus test, but we have
used both Macafee and Kaspersky already and found nothing. What I did
go through is Dell's own hardware tests. If you F8 on boot up you
should find an option to run them if they haven't been wiped of the HD.

Let me know if you find something that works. Unfortunately she won't
go Ubuntu (which I can tell runs OK) as she is wedded to MS Money (which
is a nightmare to get running in WINE) and Photoshop.

Tony

Old 09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Patton Echols

On 09/18/2010 02:55 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 18 September 2010 03:48, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.? Have you run
>>> some good anti-virus program(s)? Windows even has some of its own
>>> security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP. Also, I'd get
>>> and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
>>> tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
>>> Internet Explorer. They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
>>> Only then run your tests.
>>> (You probably knew all this, anyway.)
>>> --doug
>>>

>> Sure, All the usual stuff. I planned on doing the hardware checks first
>> because I'm hearing things like "this laptop is crap, it's old and
>> dying" Until I do the HW checks, I'll never convince anyone that it's
>> just the OS needing a cleaning.
>>
>> I don't know what's been done yet, I'm volunteering for a small
>> non-profit and this machine is in production over night, then I have one
>> day (tomorrow) to get it up to snuff to go out of town on business next
>> week!
>>
>> Thanks for the thoughts (I had forgotten about Reg.Mechanic.)
>>

> FWIW, personally, from extensive experience, I consider all registry
> tools other than RegEdit.exe and RegEdt32.exe to be a complete waste
> of time. Don't bother, they're all just scams. Any improvement is
> observed placebo effect, nothing more.

Interesting, I have used these things and always took it as an article
of faith that they helped. But thinking about it, how can you tell?
Especially when the problem you are solving is periodic crashes . . .
and you do several things.

> 1. Clear out all the temp files, both from the user directory and from Windows.
>
> 2. Give it a CHKDSK. You can't do that from Ubuntu but a Win7
> emergency startup CD (free download) works fine.

Didn't know about that either. Good suggestion

> 3. A virus scan with a couple of the freebies you don't need to
> install is a good plan.
>
> 4. Run Windows Update & ensure every available serious update is
> installed. Do the same with Office.
>
> 5. Delete all the uninstallers to reclaim a gig or so of space.

Only for the space? If so maybe leave them?

> Unfortunately, you can only do step 1 from Linux, but it has uses all
> the same - no files will be open, everything can be deleted, and you
> can also get any pesky temp directories in the root directories of any
> drives - the ones with long "names" in hexadecimal whose contents you
> can't see from within Windows. Nuke those with extreme prejudice, too.

I've wondered what those were and where they came from. I've always had
a policy of not deleting things I didn't understand. (And I assumed --
lacking any evidence -- that they came from the OS and to leave them
alone.)

Thanks for the thoughts.

--Patton

Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Patton Echols

On 09/18/2010 04:22 AM, Dominik Danter wrote:
> What I usually do is boot from a Linux livecd and scan for viruses
> from there using f-prot (there are some other av companies providing
> support for linux, like avira, but I have no experience with them). I
> do hardware testing wtih the ubc (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/).

Yeah, that is one of the ones I mentioned. But I have not used it in
quite a while.

> As far to what Liam Proven says regarding registry tools I couldn't
> agree more.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Patton Echols

On 09/18/2010 07:33 AM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 22:17 -0400, Doug wrote:
>
>> On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:
>>
>>> I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows xp I know that my
>>> problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I think.
>>>
>>> /snip/
>>>
>>> If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes of things
>>> like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from MS Excel.
>>> (WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself) I assume the normal bloat
>>> and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware problems
>>> first. It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old. No model or other yet.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>>
>>> -- Patton
>>>

>> Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.? Have you run
>> some good anti-virus program(s)? Windows even has some of its own
>> security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for XP. Also, I'd get
>> and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic. And
>> tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook or
>> Internet Explorer. They're magnets for trouble from the outside.
>> Only then run your tests.
>> (You probably knew all this, anyway.)
>> --doug
>>

> My wife has a 3yr old Inspiron 6400 that is playing up - very slow &
> blue screens every so often. I have used a Live USB to do a memory
> test. I've downloaded clamav to the USB to do a virus test, but we have
> used both Macafee and Kaspersky already and found nothing. What I did
> go through is Dell's own hardware tests. If you F8 on boot up you
> should find an option to run them if they haven't been wiped of the HD.

Hmmm, I had forgotten that Dell put that stuff on their boxes. I want
to use something that does not load windows first - so the OS does not
get the chance to filter the results.

> Let me know if you find something that works. Unfortunately she won't
> go Ubuntu (which I can tell runs OK) as she is wedded to MS Money (which
> is a nightmare to get running in WINE) and Photoshop.

You might try VirtualBox. Not the one in the repositories, but the PUEL
version from the VB website. (Because it supports thumb-drives). Once
you have money working, you can make it seamless. Photoshop could be
done the same way, but it is more resource hungry. Has she tried GIMP?
It does just about everything PS does. The one issue is that it's 8 bit
for now. (That has a very small effect - basically in limits how often
you can fiddle with curves, color balance etc.)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Vic Main

At 02:55 AM 09/18/10, you wrote:

On 18 September 2010 03:48,
Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 09/17/2010 07:17 PM, Doug wrote:

>> On 09/17/2010 09:21 PM, P Echo wrote:

>>> I've been asked to triage a laptop running windows
xp** I know that my

>>> problem is off topic, but the question is "on" I
think.

>>> /snip/

>>> If it matters, the symptoms are multiple, repeated crashes
of things

>>> like MS Word, especially when trying to cut and paste from
MS Excel.

>>> (WinDUHs not even playing nice with itself)* I assume
the normal bloat

>>> and crap-ware on the system, but want to exclude hardware
problems

>>> first.* It is a Dell Laptop, @ 3 years old.* No
model or other yet.

>>> Thanks for any thoughts.

>>> -- Patton

>> Have you done all the usual things, like defrag, etc.?*
Have you run

>> some good anti-virus program(s)?* Windows even has some of
its own

>> security stuff now, but I'm not sure it's available for
XP.* Also, I'd get

>> and run a registry checking/fixing prog, like Registry Mechanic.
And

>> tell the owner of the machine to never run any kind of Outlook
or

>> Internet Explorer.* They're magnets for trouble from the
outside.

>> Only then run your tests.

>> (You probably knew all this, anyway.)

>> --doug

> Sure, All the usual stuff.* I planned on doing the hardware
checks first

> because I'm hearing things like "this laptop is crap, it's old
and

> dying"* Until I do the HW checks, I'll never convince
anyone that it's

> just the OS needing a cleaning.

> I don't know what's been done yet, I'm volunteering for a small

> non-profit and this machine is in production over night, then I have
one

> day (tomorrow) to get it up to snuff to go out of town on business
next

> week!

> Thanks for the thoughts (I had forgotten about
Reg.Mechanic.)

FWIW, personally, from extensive experience, I consider all registry

tools other than RegEdit.exe and RegEdt32.exe to be a complete waste

of time. Don't bother, they're all just scams. Any improvement is

observed placebo effect, nothing more.

I've just tested and bought a program from IO Bit called System Care 3,
the free version works pretty well, the $20 pro version works very well!!
Vic

1. Clear out all the temp files,
both from the user directory and from Windows.

2. Give it a CHKDSK. You can't do that from Ubuntu but a Win7

emergency startup CD (free download) works fine.

IMHO I always make sure to use chkdsk with /f /r switches, I found out
the hard way. Vic

--

Liam Proven ? Info & profile:

http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven

Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ? GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 ? Cell: +44 7939-087884 ? Fax: + 44
870-9151419

AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven ? MSN: lproven@hotmail.com ? ICQ:
73187508