Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Dominik Danter

Default every so often, i get weird cursor focus problems

Maybe its the Windowmanager. When this happens try rightclicking the Desktop --> Change Desktop Background --> Visual Settings and Change your Settings there. You can revert to your previous setting afterwards.*

Try "killall metacity" to provoke this*behavior*on purpose. Needless to say that you should save your important work first.*
On 17 September 2010 20:18, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:muiae
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 14:09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i had to eventually power cycle the last few times but today,

> magically, things went back to working properly. *no idea if it was

> anything i did.

I've had this happen a few times... its like the UI just locks up... I

re-enabled CTRL-ALT-BKSP and just kill X (you can also switch to a

terminal and do it manually)...

I've not had it happen as often as it used to, but it still does

happen on occasion, and just killing X (ctrl-alt-bksp kills/restarts

and brings you back to GDM) is all I need. No reboot necessary.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Yorvyk

> > I've had this happen a few times... its like the UI just locks up... I
> > re-enabled CTRL-ALT-BKSP and just kill X (you can also switch to a
> > terminal and do it manually)...
> >
> > I've not had it happen as often as it used to, but it still does
> > happen on occasion, and just killing X (ctrl-alt-bksp kills/restarts
> > and brings you back to GDM) is all I need. No reboot necessary.

Intel graphics controller?

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Paul S

Robert P. J. Day said the following on 09/17/2010 01:48 PM:

> occasionally, i've run into the problem where my entire desktop
> enters some strange state where i can't activate a window by simply
> clicking on it, i can't switch virtual desktops, and a bunch of other
> oddities that seem related to mouse focus of some kind. in fact, it's
> happening right now. any suggestions?
>
> ubuntu pre-maverick.

I've had something similar happen on lucid. What I concluded is that it
was a popup window (in my case shutdown selector) that demanded focus
but had opened below other windows. So, I could not see it and there
was no flashing in the taskbar like you see on some windows needing
focus. Next time try checking each window to see if it's stealing focus
somehow.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Jim Byrnes wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > occasionally, i've run into the problem where my entire desktop
> > enters some strange state where i can't activate a window by
> > simply clicking on it, i can't switch virtual desktops, and a
> > bunch of other oddities that seem related to mouse focus of some
> > kind. in fact, it's happening right now. any suggestions?
> >
> > ubuntu pre-maverick.
> >
> > rday
> >

> Just happened to me for the first time yesterday. Your exact
> symptoms and more. Try pushing the esc key a few times, this
> eventually let me shutdown. I rebooted twice but the problems
> remained and I thought I was hosed. The third time I rebooted all
> was well, just like it never happened.

argh. this just happened to me for the second time in less than an
hour and it is quickly losing its entertainment value. i've tried
various combinations of ctrl, alt, esc, backspace and so on, to no
avail. i finally just switched to virtual console tty1 so i could
post this note.

this strikes me as a fairly serious issue. has the actual cause
been identified yet?

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Jim Byrnes

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>> occasionally, i've run into the problem where my entire desktop
>>> enters some strange state where i can't activate a window by
>>> simply clicking on it, i can't switch virtual desktops, and a
>>> bunch of other oddities that seem related to mouse focus of some
>>> kind. in fact, it's happening right now. any suggestions?
>>>
>>> ubuntu pre-maverick.
>>>
>>> rday
>>>

>> Just happened to me for the first time yesterday. Your exact
>> symptoms and more. Try pushing the esc key a few times, this
>> eventually let me shutdown. I rebooted twice but the problems
>> remained and I thought I was hosed. The third time I rebooted all
>> was well, just like it never happened.
>
> argh. this just happened to me for the second time in less than an
> hour and it is quickly losing its entertainment value. i've tried
> various combinations of ctrl, alt, esc, backspace and so on, to no
> avail. i finally just switched to virtual console tty1 so i could
> post this note.
>
> this strikes me as a fairly serious issue. has the actual cause
> been identified yet?
>
> rday

I'm sorry I don't know. I've been busy and it happened only that one
time so I haven't pursued it.

Regards, Jim