Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default every so often, i get weird cursor focus problems

occasionally, i've run into the problem where my entire desktop
enters some strange state where i can't activate a window by simply
clicking on it, i can't switch virtual desktops, and a bunch of other
oddities that seem related to mouse focus of some kind. in fact, it's
happening right now. any suggestions?

ubuntu pre-maverick.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Jim Byrnes

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> occasionally, i've run into the problem where my entire desktop
> enters some strange state where i can't activate a window by simply
> clicking on it, i can't switch virtual desktops, and a bunch of other
> oddities that seem related to mouse focus of some kind. in fact, it's
> happening right now. any suggestions?
>
> ubuntu pre-maverick.
>
> rday

Just happened to me for the first time yesterday. Your exact symptoms
and more. Try pushing the esc key a few times, this eventually let me
shutdown. I rebooted twice but the problems remained and I thought I
was hosed. The third time I rebooted all was well, just like it never
happened.

Regards, Jim

Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Jim Byrnes wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > occasionally, i've run into the problem where my entire desktop
> > enters some strange state where i can't activate a window by simply
> > clicking on it, i can't switch virtual desktops, and a bunch of other
> > oddities that seem related to mouse focus of some kind. in fact, it's
> > happening right now. any suggestions?
> >
> > ubuntu pre-maverick.
> >
> > rday
> >

> Just happened to me for the first time yesterday. Your exact
> symptoms and more. Try pushing the esc key a few times, this
> eventually let me shutdown. I rebooted twice but the problems
> remained and I thought I was hosed. The third time I rebooted all
> was well, just like it never happened.

i had to eventually power cycle the last few times but today,
magically, things went back to working properly. no idea if it was
anything i did.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 PM

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 14:09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> *i had to eventually power cycle the last few times but today,
> magically, things went back to working properly. *no idea if it was
> anything i did.

I've had this happen a few times... its like the UI just locks up... I
re-enabled CTRL-ALT-BKSP and just kill X (you can also switch to a
terminal and do it manually)...

I've not had it happen as often as it used to, but it still does
happen on occasion, and just killing X (ctrl-alt-bksp kills/restarts
and brings you back to GDM) is all I need. No reboot necessary.