Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 AM
"maman durahman"

Default Disk suddenly read-only

2008/1/21, ubuntu@acrasis.net <ubuntu@acrasis.net>:
> Why might a disk suddenly become read-only? I have a 7.04 AMD64 server
> with two disks, /dev/sd{a,b}. The trouble is on sda which has
> partitions for /var and /boot. I can 'ls' the contents of these, but:

I have similar problem couple month a go with my file server hdd. Some
collega on internet say it caused by hdd problem. Something like
badsector or other hdd trouble. I'am very worry to hear that. Soon i
restrat the computer. Backup the content of disk. Too late. Some file
succesfully copy others not. It say cannot acces readonly file
system...... I have no sollution for this except i replace the hdd.
About data i have daily backup.

--
Wasalam,
Durahman

Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Derek Broughton

ubuntu@acrasis.net wrote:

> Why might a disk suddenly become read-only? I have a 7.04 AMD64 server
> with two disks, /dev/sd{a,b}. The trouble is on sda which has
> partitions for /var and /boot. I can 'ls' the contents of these, but:
>
> What happened? (How) can it be fixed?

Disk errors. fsck the /var filesystem. (I'm not sure from the error
whether /boot is the same - it doesn't _say_ it's read only).

I know this happens with ext3 systems, I'm not certain about other
filesystems.
--
derek