Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Nils Kassube

Default how to (manually) add a stanza to /boot/grub/grub.cfg?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> in various RH-based distros, i used to manually add a couple extra
> stanzas to my grob config file to represent slightly different boot
> options. that is, i'd add another stanza called, say, "noisy", that
> would represent a standard boot except with more debugging info
> turned on. so it would be the same kernel, just with slightly
> different command-line options.
>
> on RH-type systems, that was fine since one was free to hack the
> grub config file. but what does one do in ubuntu, when the config
> file clearly screams, "DON'T EDIT ME!". how does one get the same
> effect via update-grub? thanks.

Have a look at [1], specifically in section "/etc/grub.d/ (directory)"
the part about "40_custom".

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2>

Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > in various RH-based distros, i used to manually add a couple extra
> > stanzas to my grob config file to represent slightly different boot
> > options. that is, i'd add another stanza called, say, "noisy", that
> > would represent a standard boot except with more debugging info
> > turned on. so it would be the same kernel, just with slightly
> > different command-line options.
> >
> > on RH-type systems, that was fine since one was free to hack the
> > grub config file. but what does one do in ubuntu, when the config
> > file clearly screams, "DON'T EDIT ME!". how does one get the same
> > effect via update-grub? thanks.
>
> Have a look at [1], specifically in section "/etc/grub.d/ (directory)"
> the part about "40_custom".
>

> Nils
>
> [1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2>

yes, that's what i was after, thanks. still getting used to grub 2
here.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday