Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 AM
andy baxter

Default ubuntu studio

hello,

Is it safe to add ubuntu studio to the list of apt sources in standard
ubuntu? at the moment I have a line like this:

deb http://archive.ubuntustudio.org/ubuntustudio feisty main

andy

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 AM

> hello,

Howdy,

> Is it safe to add ubuntu studio to the list of apt sources in standard
> ubuntu? at the moment I have a line like this:

That archive doesn't exist anymore. Ubuntu Gutsy has all the Ubuntu Studio
specific packages inside the official repositories, so it is adviced to
upgrade to that release instead.

--
Jaska

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 AM
thomas fisher

On Sunday 20 January 2008 23:22:20 astraljava@kapsi.fi wrote:
> > hello,
>
> Howdy,
>
> > Is it safe to add ubuntu studio to the list of apt sources in standard
> > ubuntu? at the moment I have a line like this:
>
> That archive doesn't exist anymore. Ubuntu Gutsy has all the Ubuntu Studio
> specific packages inside the official repositories, so it is adviced to
> upgrade to that release instead.
>

> --
> Jaska
What packages make Ubuntu Studio? Most of the graphic art and high
resolution audio packages seem to perform fine in the regular release
including the rt kernel. Are there some performance tunings that are
different? Or is just eye candy?
Tom

Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 AM

> What packages make Ubuntu Studio? Most of the graphic art and high
> resolution audio packages seem to perform fine in the regular release
> including the rt kernel. Are there some performance tunings that are
> different? Or is just eye candy?

Ubuntu Studio uses apps that are in the repositories. Some of them are
just collected to the install DVD. Branding is done by metapackages
mostly. `apt-cache search ubuntustudio-` is your friend.

--
Jaska

Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
David Vincent

Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
thomas fisher

On Monday 21 January 2008 00:35:41 astraljava@kapsi.fi wrote:
> > What packages make Ubuntu Studio? Most of the graphic art and high
> > resolution audio packages seem to perform fine in the regular release
> > including the rt kernel. Are there some performance tunings that are
> > different? Or is just eye candy?
>
> Ubuntu Studio uses apps that are in the repositories. Some of them are
> just collected to the install DVD. Branding is done by metapackages
> mostly. `apt-cache search ubuntustudio-` is your friend.
>

> --
> Jaska
Nice!
Linux continually amazes me as to what is under it's hood.

Immediately I tried it also on " kde- "; " gnome- "; " alsa- "
of interest: " apt-cache unmet " produced a long list of unmet dependencies
that I was not aware of. I'll start a new thread on this.

man apt-cache
apt-cache performs a variety of operations on APT’s package cache.
apt-cache does not manipulate the state of the system but does provide
operations to search and generate interesting output from the package
metadata.
Tom

Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 PM
"Michael Vogt"

Hi everybody.

Right now I have installed Ubuntu Desktop on my Lenovo T61p. I have
seen that there is a Ubuntu Studio. Is it possible to "switch" my
installation from Desktop to Studio, or is it necessary to make a
clean install?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 08-17-2008, 12:07 AM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 04:06 PM, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> Right now I have installed Ubuntu Desktop on my Lenovo T61p. I have
> seen that there is a Ubuntu Studio. Is it possible to "switch" my
> installation from Desktop to Studio, or is it necessary to make a
> clean install?
>

> Thanks,
> Michael

Start here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
then here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/FAQ
and then
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Installation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromHardy

I'm actually doing this as a test & find that if I leave in the
ubuntustudio-desktop, the command asks to remove the ubuntu-desktop. So
I modified the command to read:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

And it's now downloading 544MB of archives on my test machine. If you'd
like to wait for a several hours I can tell you how the test goes. Note:
I am updating a standard, fairly new & fully up to date Ubuntu 8.04.1
Gnome system.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Hi Michael,

Michael Vogt said the following on 17/08/08 00:06:
> Right now I have installed Ubuntu Desktop on my Lenovo T61p. I have
> seen that there is a Ubuntu Studio. Is it possible to "switch" my
> installation from Desktop to Studio, or is it necessary to make a
> clean install?

I always start with a nice Kubuntu and then install Studio on top of it.

On top of your ubuntu desktop, you can install any of these
(meta)packages:

ubuntustudio-audio - Ubuntu Studio Audio Package
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins - Ubuntu Studio audio plugins Package
ubuntustudio-controls - Ubuntu Studio Controls is a small app that
changes A/V settings.
ubuntustudio-default-settings - Default settings and artwork for the
Ubuntu Studio desktop
ubuntustudio-desktop - Ubuntu Studio Desktop Package
ubuntustudio-gdm-theme - Ubuntu Studio - GDM theme
ubuntustudio-graphics - Ubuntu Studio graphics Package
ubuntustudio-icon-theme - Ubuntu Studio Icon theme
ubuntustudio-look - Ubuntu Studio look
ubuntustudio-menu - Menu for Ubuntu Studio
ubuntustudio-screensaver - Ubuntu Studio screensaver
ubuntustudio-sounds - Ubuntu Studio's GNOME audio theme
ubuntustudio-theme - Ubuntu Studio look - GTK and Metacity theme
ubuntustudio-video - Ubuntu Studio video Package
ubuntustudio-wallpapers - Ubuntu Studio - Wallpapers
usplash-theme-ubuntustudio - Usplash theme for Ubuntu Studio

I hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM
NoOp

On 08/16/2008 05:07 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/16/2008 04:06 PM, Michael Vogt wrote:
>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> Right now I have installed Ubuntu Desktop on my Lenovo T61p. I have
>> seen that there is a Ubuntu Studio. Is it possible to "switch" my
>> installation from Desktop to Studio, or is it necessary to make a
>> clean install?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>>

> Start here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
> then here
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/FAQ
> and then
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Installation
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromHardy
>
> I'm actually doing this as a test & find that if I leave in the
> ubuntustudio-desktop, the command asks to remove the ubuntu-desktop. So
> I modified the command to read:
>
> sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-audio
> ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt
>
> And it's now downloading 544MB of archives on my test machine. If you'd
> like to wait for a several hours I can tell you how the test goes. Note:
> I am updating a standard, fairly new & fully up to date Ubuntu 8.04.1
> Gnome system.

That worked well, see the 'different users' thread for an update:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/156086>