Old 09-16-2010, 11:37 PM
NoOp

Default odd whois results

On 09/16/2010 04:17 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2010 06:59 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> whois 206.130.97.83
>
> whois 206.130.97.83
> #
> # Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
> # "n 206.130.97.83"
> #
> # Use "?" to get help.
> #

Yes, I do get the results as well. It's the above that I've not seen before.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, September 17, 2010 07:37 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 04:17 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Friday, September 17, 2010 06:59 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>> whois 206.130.97.83
>>
>> whois 206.130.97.83
>> #
>> # Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
>> # "n 206.130.97.83"
>> #
>> # Use "?" to get help.
>> #
>>

> Yes, I do get the results as well. It's the above that I've not seen before.

Yeah, I have not noticed that until now.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I've been getting some rather strange 'whois' results lately which I've
> never seen before:
>
> $ whois 206.130.97.83
> #
> # Query terms are ambiguous. *The query is assumed to be:
> # * * "n 206.130.97.83"
> #
> # Use "?" to get help.
>
> I see nothing in
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/whois.1.html
> to use a 'n' query, am I missing something or is ARIN's database screwed up>

I'm not sure that I've ever run whois against an ip address before but
I get the same warning when I do.

With certain whois servers
whois n 206.130.97.83
will skip the "...ambiguous..." warning

where "n" is for network address space

> and getting a lot of these lately:
>
> $ whois 206.130.97.83
> ERROR 503: Unable to service request due to high volume.

I get them if I request the same info quickly from the same server.