FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"
 
Default Funny zenity bug…

Try this (for instance):

zenity --title "Hello!" --info --text "This is a funny bug!"

Note that the is actually displayed after ”Hello”…

Another strange thing is that ”This is a funny bug!” is displayed
correctly, that is without the ””.

So I found no way to display a ”!” in the title line of a zenity dialogue.
Is this a bug or is it just me?


If I omit one or both of the ”” characters, I get the error message
”bash: !": event not found”

--

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Ubuntu 10.04
zenity 2.30.0


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM
J
 
Default Funny zenity bug…

2010/9/16 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> Try this (for instance):
>
> zenity --title "Hello!" --info --text "This is a funny bug!"
>
> Note that the is actually displayed after ”Hello”…
>
> Another strange thing is that ”This is a funny bug!” is displayed
> correctly, that is without the ””.
>
> So I found no way to display a ”!” in the title line of a zenity dialogue.
> Is this a bug or is it just me?
>
>
> If I omit one or both of the ”” characters, I get the error message
> ”bash: !": event not found”

Not sure if this is a bug with Zenity in the way it takes the bit
after --title and turns it into a window title, or just the weirdness
of BASH and quotation marks.

If I do it with single quotes, everything works fine:

bladernr@klaatu:~$ zenity --title 'Hello!' --info --text 'This is a funny bug!'

This opens a window that has Hello! in the title bar and This is a
funny bug! in the window pane itself...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default Funny zenity bug…

J wrote:
> 2010/9/16 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
>> Try this (for instance):
>>
>> zenity --title "Hello!" --info --text "This is a funny bug!"
>>
>> Note that the is actually displayed after ”Hello”…
>>
>> Another strange thing is that ”This is a funny bug!” is displayed
>> correctly, that is without the ””.
>>
>> So I found no way to display a ”!” in the title line of a zenity dialogue.
>> Is this a bug or is it just me?
>>
>>
>> If I omit one or both of the ”” characters, I get the error message
>> ”bash: !": event not found”
>
> Not sure if this is a bug with Zenity in the way it takes the bit
> after --title and turns it into a window title, or just the weirdness
> of BASH and quotation marks.
>
> If I do it with single quotes, everything works fine:
>
> bladernr@klaatu:~$
>
> This opens a window that has Hello! in the title bar and This is a
> funny bug! in the window pane itself...
>
I think I found the solution in the man-pages.
It says" --title=TITLE"
and "--text=STRING"

Apparently is the command string after"title=" a special kind of string
which doesn't need the quotes.Try:
zenity --title Hello! --info --text "This is a funny bug!"
This will work correctly (Hello! without quotes).
Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:37 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"
 
Default Funny zenity bug…

Den 2010-09-17 00:00:57 skrev Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl>:

> J wrote:
>> 2010/9/16 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
>>> Try this (for instance):
>>>
>>> zenity --title "Hello!" --info --text "This is a funny bug!"
>>>
>>> Note that the is actually displayed after ”Hello”…
>>>
>>> Another strange thing is that ”This is a funny bug!” is displayed
>>> correctly, that is without the ””.
>>>
>>> So I found no way to display a ”!” in the title line of a zenity
>>> dialogue.
>>> Is this a bug or is it just me?
>>>
>>>
>>> If I omit one or both of the ”” characters, I get the error message
>>> ”bash: !": event not found”
>>
>> Not sure if this is a bug with Zenity in the way it takes the bit
>> after --title and turns it into a window title, or just the weirdness
>> of BASH and quotation marks.
>>
>> If I do it with single quotes, everything works fine:
>>
>> bladernr@klaatu:~$
>>
>> This opens a window that has Hello! in the title bar and This is a
>> funny bug! in the window pane itself...
>>
> I think I found the solution in the man-pages.
> It says" --title=TITLE"
> and "--text=STRING"
>
> Apparently is the command string after"title=" a special kind of string
> which doesn't need the quotes.Try:
> zenity --title Hello! --info --text "This is a funny bug!"
> This will work correctly (Hello! without quotes).
> Joep
>
>

Thank you both. I didn't know that double quotes were handled differently
than singe quotes.


--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org