Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM

Default some times letters get deleted while typing in firefox

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 15:17, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having very strange problem.
> I am using Ubunu 10.04 64 bit and Firefox 3.6.8
> While typing the letters in search box or input box when on a web page
> I fill the
> required fields while I am typing some thing in the mid of typing
> every thing gets deleted
> and I have to retype it and same thing in between happens.
> Then I again retype it.
> Like this the cycle continues.
> For example on Top Right hand corner I can see a search box of Google
> in my firefox.
> Now suppose I want to search "How to write device driver on Linux"
> and I start typing
> I have typed "How to write device " and suddenly all the text "How to
> write device"
> gets deleted as if it was selected by pressing Control+A and deleted
> (which I had not done)
> I again type it and then again same thing happens.
> The only work around for this I found is I open gedit and type what
> ever I want to type
> and Copy Paste that to required search box or input box where ever required.
>
> Some people on this list suggested me to disable Addons. I do not have
> any add on installed on my system.
> But this problem does persist.I had asked this question earlier and I
> am asking again.As this is very annoying experience.

You're not alone, I've seen the same thing from time to time with FF as well.

Are you using a laptop with a track pad? My first thought was that as
I was typing, I was getting too close to the track pad and was somehow
triggering a highlight that way (my trackpad supports scrolling which
can be used to highlight text). However, I don't think that's the
actual cuplrit.

For me, I usually can get out of that infinite 'Select All" loop
you're describing by moving the pointer out of firefox and clicking a
few times elsewhere to ensure focus is out of FF. Then single clickng
back into the search box and typing whatever it was I was typing
originally.

I haven't noticed it since upgrading to the Maverick beta, though, so
it could be something that was resolved in a firefox update. I'm
currently running 3.6.10+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu2

Cheers
Jeff

Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're not alone, I've seen the same thing from time to time with FF as well.
Thanks for this information is some one from Canonical reading this.
> Are you using a laptop with a track pad?
I am using a Laptop no trackpad on it.
It is a Dell Inspiron 1440.
>My first thought was that as
> I was typing, I was getting too close to the track pad and was somehow
> triggering a highlight that way (my trackpad supports scrolling which
> can be used to highlight text). *However, I don't think that's the
> actual cuplrit.
Exactly some thing else is creating problem.
> For me, I usually can get out of that infinite 'Select All" loop
> you're describing by moving the pointer out of firefox and clicking a
> few times elsewhere to ensure focus is out of FF. *Then single clickng
> back into the search box and typing whatever it was I was typing
> originally.
No this did not worked for me I was still in that infinite Select All
loop and it always got deleted.

--
Tapas

Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You're not alone, I've seen the same thing from time to time with FF as well.
> Thanks for this information is some one from Canonical reading this.

Very strange indeed.
Try to use an USB keyboard and see if the problem is gone.
If it is, then something wrong with your laptop keyboard.
If it persists.... I don't know ^^

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> Very strange indeed.
> Try to use an USB keyboard and see if the problem is gone.
> If it is, then something wrong with your laptop keyboard.
A dual boot machine tried in Windows and this problem is not there.
> If it persists.... I don't know ^^
any one else.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Jeff Lane

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:50, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You're not alone, I've seen the same thing from time to time with FF as well.
> Thanks for this information is some one from Canonical reading this.

Well, yeah... I am (switching to my more official account)

>> Are you using a laptop with a track pad?
> I am using a Laptop no trackpad on it.
> It is a Dell Inspiron 1440.

Thanks, that rules out body heat or whatever effecting the trackpad then...

>> For me, I usually can get out of that infinite 'Select All" loop
>> you're describing by moving the pointer out of firefox and clicking a
>> few times elsewhere to ensure focus is out of FF. *Then single clickng
>> back into the search box and typing whatever it was I was typing
>> originally.
> No this did not worked for me I was still in that infinite Select All
> loop and it always got deleted.

Ok, So it happened to me again last night, but this time when I hit
the / sign to use the "Find" search box to search for a string on a
page I was looking at. This time around, I was able to stop it by
left-clicking about 5-7 times on the page itself.

I'd been thinking about opening a bug about this, but until now, I
figured it was just me and weird hardware, but you've now ruled that
out for me... so I've opened a bug on it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/641300

Please go subscribe to that bug (you'll need a launchpad account if
you don't have one already. After you subscribe to that, I believe
you'll be able to add your system info by opening a terminal and
running the command

#> ubuntu-bug firefox

Also, could you let me know what version FF and what verison of Ubuntu
you're running?

Cheers,

Jeff

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Jeff Lane <jeff@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I'd been thinking about opening a bug about this, but until now, I
> figured it was just me and weird hardware, but you've now ruled that
> out for me... so I've opened a bug on it:
Thanks same with me even I thought it is affecting me only.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/641300
>
> Please go subscribe
Done

> #> ubuntu-bug firefox
Thanks for this command I did not knew it.
I have done but while doing so I had been using firefox
and I got an error message

hook /usr/share/apport/package-hooks//firefox.py crashed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apport/report.py", line 619,
in add_hooks_info
symb['add_info'](self)
File "/usr/share/apport/package-hooks//firefox.py", line 191, in add_info
report['ExtensionSummary'] = wbuffer.read()
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'wbuffer' referenced before assignment

> Also, could you let me know what version FF and what verison of Ubuntu
> you're running?
Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit (but the problem was there in 32 bit Ubuntu 9.04
also I had seen same issue.I directly upgraded to 10.04 64 bit.(Clean
re install)
Firefox version 3.6.8

--
Tapas

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
NoOp

On 09/17/2010 06:23 AM, Jeff Lane wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:50, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You're not alone, I've seen the same thing from time to time with FF as well.
>> Thanks for this information is some one from Canonical reading this.
>
> Well, yeah... I am (switching to my more official account)
>
>>> Are you using a laptop with a track pad?
>> I am using a Laptop no trackpad on it.
>> It is a Dell Inspiron 1440.
>
> Thanks, that rules out body heat or whatever effecting the trackpad then...
>
>>> For me, I usually can get out of that infinite 'Select All" loop
>>> you're describing by moving the pointer out of firefox and clicking a
>>> few times elsewhere to ensure focus is out of FF. Then single clickng
>>> back into the search box and typing whatever it was I was typing
>>> originally.
>> No this did not worked for me I was still in that infinite Select All
>> loop and it always got deleted.
>
> Ok, So it happened to me again last night, but this time when I hit
> the / sign to use the "Find" search box to search for a string on a
> page I was looking at. This time around, I was able to stop it by
> left-clicking about 5-7 times on the page itself.
>
> I'd been thinking about opening a bug about this, but until now, I
> figured it was just me and weird hardware, but you've now ruled that
> out for me... so I've opened a bug on it:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/641300

Other possibly related bugs:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/?field.searchtext=text&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/543919
[Yahoo toolbar deletes text as I write]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/597399
[firefox problems with autocompletion in text box]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/632905
[Entering text in Firefox web forms selects all the text, deletes it
then leaves just a single character]

However, were I you, I'd go looking upstream in bugzilla and on the FF
support group:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support

Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/641300
>
> Other possibly related bugs:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/?field.searchtext=text&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/543919
> [Yahoo toolbar deletes text as I write]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/597399
> [firefox problems with autocompletion in text box]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/632905
> [Entering text in Firefox web forms selects all the text, deletes it
> then leaves just a single character]
>
> However, were I you, I'd go looking upstream in bugzilla and on the FF
> support group:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/
> *http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support
> *news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

Thanks for these links.
Until I posted here I thought I was the only person having this error
so I was a bit afraid of posting.
--
Tapas